Yosemite and Time Capsule don't play together

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
OK.. .changed from Time Capsule (with space) to TimeCapsule (one word)

Back up appears to be starting... But again the first will always run after restarting TC. Its the subsequent backups that will always fail...

But I will try...

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Ok. Your next step is to create a new backup. Remove it completely. Wipe the disk using TC's own menu. And then start afresh (you have another backup over USB you said).
Actually this is the 3rd TC. Apple claimed the other two were bad and replaced them. This one is only a few months old tops.

So I'm not sure what that would do for me... BUT DO appreciate the help and suggestions

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Actually this is the 3rd TC. Apple claimed the other two were bad and replaced them. This one is only a few months old tops.

So I'm not sure what that would do for me... BUT DO appreciate the help and suggestions
This would rule out any permissions issues due to a name change and any potential corruption.

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
This would rule out any permissions issues due to a name change and any potential corruption.
If I hadn't already done that (twice) I would agree. I know others are experiencing this (from google search) and from Apple admitting this is an OS issue. I'm just afraid that with El Capitan coming out, resources will be moved away from Yosemite and this won't get fixed.

Again Apple is doing NOTHING about this to help me in my opinion. They REFUSE to give me any updates on the issue.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
@DeputyDawg Which is a shame because many others and myself do not have those issues...
I Agree. I don't know what is so unique about my situation. I do have a WD Mycloud Mirror NAS drive connected. However, I believe in one of my tests with Apple, I disconnected it and the problem remains.

The more disturbing part is Apple's response. I'm working with someone in Cooks Office on this (and a whole host of other problems with Apple). They refuse to give me any updates (SHHHHH its a secret !!!!)

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
@DeputyDawg Everything appears to be in order there as well. Hmm...
Thanks, that's what's driving me NUTS about this. I don't do anything out of the ordinary. You saw in my prior post what the error message is. If I reboot the TC, I can get ONE backup. The rest fail with the noted error.

I wonder if it's the NAS which is interfering??

What about my comment about the disk name in Airport changing? Did yours? Can I change it?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
@DeputyDawg Is this a tall "tower" style Time Capsule or a flat "pancake" style? If it is a flat model try downgrading to 7.6.1. If it is a tall style then make sure it is on 7.7.3. The NAS should not be interfering unless you have it doing Time Machine as well. I do not own a Time Capsule at home so I am unaware of any changes. I mainly deal with AirPort Extremes in day to day use.

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
@DeputyDawg Is this a tall "tower" style Time Capsule or a flat "pancake" style? If it is a flat model try downgrading to 7.6.1. If it is a tall style then make sure it is on 7.7.3. The NAS should not be interfering unless you have it doing Time Machine as well. I do not own a Time Capsule at home so I am unaware of any changes. I mainly deal with AirPort Extremes in day to day use.
My TC is the latest "tower" model and is on 7.7.3. NAS has nothing to do with TC or backups. I use it for storage only. I believe in one of my tests with Apple, I disconnected the NAS and the problem continued.

DeputyDawg

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Try doing a full reset again...
With all due respect, I have done several FULL resets. It does the same thing: One backup will work the rest fail.

I appreciate the help, but I have done that many times. I don't think it will be good use of my time.