You are all asking too much on ipad2. Get real.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Seriously.

iPad 2 has to have
    Retina display
    Dual core
    1gb ram
    Double the storage
    Gyroscope
    Two cameras?

U guys all want that?at what price? Ic no one is willing to pay more but u all asking for too many upgrades in just a year.

Some of u are even saying just make it slightly higher resolution. Pleasemuse some sense. It won't because of apps would have to be worked again.

If apple adds retina display on iPad, you will see price increase like something what apple does with ipod touch. They keep the last generation model with old CPU and gpu for 199 dollars and offer faster chips on 299 or 399 models. I expect same thing to happen on iPad.

499 dollars for 16 gb model with old specs
    599 dollars for 32 gb model with retina display and improved specs
    List goes on.

Everyone says competition blah blah. No there isn't one yet. Apple will sell Crush the wsj expectations on iPad 2 with retina display or not. It would be better for them wait for iPad 3 to have retina display. Stop dreaming or prepare to face some price increase.

2. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Geez dude- don't let it ruin your day. I wasn't aware that wishful thinking and speculation was a sin. Why do I recall people being VERY surprised when the price of the first gen was announced- given the specs and quality of the product?

3. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I only want 128 GB and 4G, neither of which I'll get. :mad:

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

All I want is retina display, 2gb ram, 256 gb storage, 4g, 24 hr battery life, weigh less than one pound, gyroscope, compass, accelerameter, 8megapixel camera back, 5 megapixel front, 1080p video recorder front and back, Dolby digital surround sound, and money printer all for under $500..... Is that really too much to ask?!?!??!?

Seriously though, the iPad for me isn't a compelling enough device yet, but a retina display would probably get me to cave and get one.

5. McGilli macrumors 6502

I'll pay $1000 for what you listed there.... So I see no problem....

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha when I saw the title of this thread, this came in mind ...

[​IMG]

7. joehahn macrumors regular

I really do think that people are being waaaay to quick to set their expectations sky high. This is apple...they make great stuff, but they never put that much in during one upgrade cycle. The bumped resolution doesn't make any sense as much of the internet isn't even that high-def so pictures, websites, and pretty much everything else will be pixelated and of poor quality. I do believe that the iPad 2 will see 2 cameras though, regardless of the fact that they are completely unnecessary. I would love for them to have 1gb of ram, if anything, they'll double the current to 512mb. They WILL NOT put OS 10.7 on it, give it a matte screen, double the battery life, make it independent of iTunes, give it a USB port, allow the alleged SD card slot to work as memory expansion, or any other outlandish thought you could add here. There's a thread about "50 things that iPad NEEDS" and of the list MAYBE 10 were realistic for them, to add even in the coming iteration of the device. Probably the most ridiculous of the things it NEEDS is the ability to have better speakers that can support 3D surround sound...Honestly, the only way to make the device better is through refining iOS more. I would love to see an imroved lock screen with widgets for email, music, or anything like that, same for the iphone. Also a file system would be nice, but dropbox negates that need to a degree.

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I hate it how those who don't believe rumors think they know the absolute truth. :rolleyes:

"Get real". As we are now, without evidence, nothing proves that these rumors are false. Sure, the chances it happens are not high, but why not? We're not "asking" for a magical iPad that travels at the speed of light and washes dishes...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has a long history of providing incremental updates to its products, not revolutionary.

Apple fans have a long history of setting their expectations out of the realms of possibility.

I'll not be surprised to see a thread asking if the iPad 3 will have a neural net interface so the consumer can just think it, and it appears on the iPad :p

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Having witnessed quite a few post-keynote threads on MacRumors, I feel a lowering of expectations is not a bad idea :cool:

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Imo the only thing the iPad needs is some combination of more ram and a beefier processor. It's not nearly as snappy with 4.3 as it was in the 3.2 days, and we all know about the safari refresh issue.

Beyond that, i would be pleased with everything else on the list, but don't consider their lack to be a deal breaker for me to upgrade to ipad2 the day they come out.

When you use an ipad all day every day as I do (see my signature) REAL performance matters way more than checkmarks on a spec list.

12. BergerFan, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

What's being speculated would be awesome if it came to fruition, but taking the last 4 years as a guide, I guess that the iPad 2 will probably be an iterative upgrade, comprising of:
    Same screen size(physical and resolution).

Optically laminated screen technology(as used on the iPhone 4).

A small performance upgrade(CPU speed and RAM).

Tweaked aluminium chassis design(to create greater internal volume, allowing for a bigger battery).

SD card slot(for photo transfer only).

That's it. :D
    Apple don't re-invent the wheel every year.

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Look at the jump from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4:

Gyro
    Double res screen
    Extra cam
    New processor
    Double RAM

All that, and they didn't move the price one bit.

14. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

I am sure apple would do that on ipad 6. Enjoy.

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't know what's wrong with ur iPad, but mine has not been effected. It's just as snappy as it was on day 1. But more ram and a beefier processor wouldn't hurt.

16. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

The cost of LCD that has 960 X640 is not as same as the one with 2058X1576. The difference is big. Also, ipad only has 256 MB ram. 512 won't be enough to run this kind of resolution. You would need at least 1GB ram. You are just one of those people who have false hopes. Enjoy your hopes while you can.

17. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Sorry, can't take you seriously until you use real words. Spelling like this takes us all one step closer to an Idiocracy reality.

18. schaabie macrumors member

+1

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Since you're "that guy"...

1. "all" is redundant

2. "Idocracy" should be "Idiocratic"

3. If you want to keep "Idocracy", remove "reality".

20. hi res macrumors member

hi res

This is Apple. This is 2011. This is a market now booming with wanna-be "iPad killers." Just watch, When Apple does release the specs for this 2nd Generation iPad, fans and critics alike are going to drop their jaws and confirm Apple's place as the industry standard for tablets. They aren't going to rest on their laurels and just put out a slightly improved iPad, they're going to have features we've never even considered, and lay claim to the tablet throne AGAIN.

21. diamornte macrumors regular

= Because AT&T wanted to lock in users to 2 year contracts before the Verizon iPhone would come along.

22. RedWings macrumors regular

It is going to take more than some cameras, a redesigned case, and a new display to make the new iPad2 "jaw dropping". They new to completely redesign iOS to compete with Honeycomb.

23. Piggie, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Agree.

In almost every, or actually every way the Motorola Xoom as recently shown is higher specced than the current iPad.

Larger Screen
    Higher res screen 1280x800
    Faster CPU/GPU
    Front camera
    Rear camera with flash
    New more advanced UI that will play back flash and multitask.
    Excellent battery
    smart on screen button/home buttons
    1GB memory
    Micro USB2
    HDMI output port
    SD card supported
    etc....

Irrespective of whether you like Android or not, those specs blow iPad1 out the water and send it into orbit.

Or course, it will be up against iPad2 which I expect to launch before the Xoom comes out.

I just hope iPad2 looks good against these specs from the Motorola tablet, as you can be sure the two will be compared again and again in consumer magazines which the general public read and take notice of.

I fully understand technical specs alone do not make a winning product, but you can't just ignore the competition either, and be smug thinking you don't really have to try very hard and you will still be No.1

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Asking too much and expecting too much are two different things.

We should ask for everything, we should no expect everything.

25. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What does Honeycomb add to current versions of Android that iOS will need to be completely redesigned to compete with?