You can't turn 3G off on the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Oct 15, 2011.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

Anyone else notice the option to disable 3G is no longer on the iPhone 4S? Is it still there on the iPhone 4 running iOS 5? I'm betting it's iPhone 4S only, this issue, because of Siri. But still..

This is definitely a bummer, since for traveling it's nice to save some battery life if possible by switching to EDGE but still having data.

:(

Apple giveth/taketh away.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The 3G toggle is still available on my 3GS, under iOS 5.0.

Are you, by chance, using Verizon or Sprint?
    The CDMA iPhone never had the 3G toggle since day one.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

AT&T here.

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There has already been a number of threads on this subject. It is confirmed as missing on the 4S. The view seems to be that with the new hardware there is little battery saving to be made with turning off 3G.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow, that sucks. I tend to put my phone on Edge most of the time. I guess I won't be able to do that anymore.

Jailbreak here I come!

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

And that's based on... what?

I'd like to be able to make that choice, thank you very much! :(

lol Engadget just put up an article on it...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/15/iphone-4s-lacks-enable-3g-switch/

7. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Maybe the difference between 2G/3G standby time is nominal but once you're out of 3G coverage the phone looking for a 3G network is going to rape your battery.

8. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

9. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

Tell me this isn't true???????? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I live in a basement where the 3g signal is really bad. I have my 3g turned off 80% of the time. This is a massive deal breaker for me

10. ThetaSigma macrumors regular

It's true...

BUT

It doesn't mean you're stuck on 3G. The phone automatically picks the strongest signal for you. For example, if the strongest signal you can get in your work is EDGE then that's what you'll be on and if the strongest signal you get at home is 3G then that's what you'll get.

At first I didn't like it but it seems that it doesn't really kill my battery having it on all the time AND it saves the hassle of going to settings and turning it on/off all the time. :cool:

11. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

The phone prefers 3G. It connects to 3G whenever it can. If it is connected to EDGE or 1xRTT it is going to keep looking for a 3G network in the background and that will take a toll on your battery. I was out in the middle of nowhere (literally) during the summer and if I left "Enable 3G" on my battery would drain 2%-3% more an hour on standby.

Plus it's a dealbreaker for me since at sporting events I always switch to EDGE since everyone and their mothers are on 3G regardless of carrier.

12. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I always thought that if you were on WiFi then 3G was turned off and if you are on 3G then WiFi was turned off. Is this incorrect?

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

wait

when happens when you are on wifi will 3G be off? surely it has to be.

14. alflavor macrumors regular

Never needed or wanted to turn off 3G before so if the options missing, personally I don't mind.

15. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Cool story, bro. :p

16. Noisemaker Guest

I don't know what you guys are smoking. The toggle is right there under "Network" in settings.

17. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Really? On an iPhone 4S?

18. Noisemaker Guest

Yep. Same spot that is was on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.

19. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Erm..... I don't even know what to say to that. Did you restore from an iPhone 4 backup or set up your 4S as new?

20. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

There was a 3G outage by me last year, and the only way I could get the internet to work at all was to disable 3G. The phone would still connect to 3G fine, I just couldn't use data. EDGE was fine, so I was still able to get internet. I guess if that happened again I would be screwed :(

21. rickem macrumors newbie

So this is a huge problem for me as I am not using it to save battery, but rather to get a signal. My office is in the basement of a building. I frequently show 1 or 2 bars and a 3G signal but actually have no signal. I frequently change this to the EDGE network and connect to WiFi here at work to surf but still receive calls and texts (from my non-iOS5 friends). Now I am stuck with the phone thinking I have a usable signal and not really having one.

Apple please change this back (yes I know it's probably not seen here but still wanted to say that.)

22. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

It's a carrier thing. When I put my Three UK sim card, there's no 3G switch, but when I use my spanish movistar sim, it's there (on my iphone4).

even when using wifi, the push connections (to gmail or iCloud for example) are kept live using the 3G network.

23. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

It was a carrier thing with the iPhone 4 meaning some networks like '3' in the UK would disable the 3G toggle whilst some networks didnt bother.

With the iPhone 4S it's an Apple thing where they seem to have permanently taken the 3G toggle of completely.

I'm yet to come across or heard from someone who owns an iPhone 4S with the 3G toggle switch.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not even close to correct.

25. soma4society macrumors newbie

It may be a hardware issue...

I read this in another forum...I can't verify it's accuracy, but it seems plausible.

"It is not an available option because the chipset is made by Qualcomm instead of Intel/Infineon, the way it's designed doesn't allow for it to shut off one part of the spectrum, that is why you cannot turn off the 3G"

I agree with others above that this a problem. I didn't even make it through 7pm with my 4S on 3G all day, and that's with minimal usage (I'm a public schoolteacher and rarely get a chance to look at my phone). Sure you can shut off cellular data to conserve power, but then using Siri isn't so intuitive as she needs a data connection to work, and you have to navigate in to settings-->network for it to function.

I am hoping that when the jailbreak is released that the 3G toggle in SBsettings is still there, and that it functions.