You guys wanna know what Apple did by not allowing flash?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

They paved the road for the makers of thenskyfire browser to become rich. And I mean filthy rich. Even at $5 its selling like hotcakes. And you know what, its awesome. Its not just good because it allows flash, the browser is suoer stable and super fast.

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

As far as I'm concerned, they did the web and it's users a big favor.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I have the iPhone version, and around the time it first came out I really needed to watch a flash video. Well, by the time I got through playing the 7 minute video, with crashing and lagging and such, I could've driven the half hour home, watched the video on my computer and been back to where I was. I can't say much for them now, I know there have been updates since, but I'll stick with Safari and save flash for my Macbook Pro.

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Flash sucks and doesn't matter anymore. 4 years after the iPhone came out destroying competition, turning the mobile industry upside down, and you still think it matters?

6. Elweezy macrumors regular

What do you mean? Flash videos are still everywhere. It's a pain in the ass seeing a flash video on an iPad. Depressing they need to nut up and allow it.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They're not going to so just get over it.

8. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ign disagrees. I doubt theyll ever get rid of flash just because the site isnso anti apple to begin witn. Also, can anyone tell me why videos from the front page headline section on ign qont be recognized or load once analyzed by skyfire. On top of this why cant skyfire bypass those age input restictions ign has n trailers since you cant interact with them? Ign just hates apple dont they?

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. You think this is some kind of conspiracy, with the aim of making a certain developer - which Apple is not at all affiliated with - filthy rich?

10. Stirolak123, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011

Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

No thats not the point i was making. The point is apple being such stubborn boneheads nadvertenly made someone else rich rather than jobs. That was the point. They had money on the table learn economics flash is hugely desired. Or else skyfire wouent sell like mad.

11. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Agreed... Flash makes my computer loud and hot. HTML 5 doesn't.

12. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

All of IGN's videos were updated to run on the iPad a couple months ago.

13. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

So if you go to ign wireless are you telling me you cn view the app show video on the top features section? Or when you hit on the ipad 2 was unveiled link your telling me, hinest to god, thst you csn view thst video in the middle of the article? Cause i must be on drugs or something cause im seeing s big black ugly screen.

14. LinkMx macrumors member

How would allowing Flash on the iPad benefited Apple economically? They would't have charged for it. And also, Apple gets to keep 30% of SkyFire's sales.

15. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

This simply proves that Apple was willing to ditch said money (by people who passed on the iPad for lack of Flash) for a better experience and keep their commitment to quality. They *could* have gone and added Flash support to appease everyone, but they didn't. They stuck to keeping the experience as solid as they could and I for one agree with it.

As to Skyfire, it was removed almost as quickly as it was installed.

16. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

"Learn economics?" :rolleyes:

Flash can't be that hugely desired... How much, based on your vast economic knowledge, would you estimate has been left on the table, exactly?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. UTclassof89, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

18. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

that's because you're running a Mac. Not always efficient.

Flash interferes with $teve Job$ maximizing his profit in the app store. Content must come from the app store. Angry Birds in Flash? No thanks says $teve Job$. Keep people funneling through the app store. There are a hell of alot of Flash games/videos out there which $teve doesn't want you to have access to.

It's already been shown Flash mobile isn't half as bad as $teve claims. His ego and his wallet won't allow Flash to ever come to iOS, unless of course you jailbreak and download from certain sources.

19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I am still surprised how much people seem to care about flash. In all my time browsing on an iPad or iPhone I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I have even made it to a site that had flash content and if I did it probably wasn't a big deal.

If they did add it to the iPad2 there better be a way for me to disable it.

20. xelaetaks macrumors member

lack of flash doesn't stop me from going with the iPad for now but I think supporting Apple's decision to not give users the option to use flash is absolutely absurd . Like someone else said- it's all about Apple's wallet and Steve Jobs ego when it comes to flash. I like Apple's products but I highly disagree with some of their decisions/policies.

21. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

It's about Apple ceding control of their destiny to a third party. They have bad memories of that turning out poorly in the past and they don't want to be beholden to a company like Adobe now. Nothing to do with money or greed or evil or other nonsense.

As for Flash, I erased it from my computer. Time for the industry to move on; I have.

22. M87 macrumors 65816

Not once have I encountered a scenario where I needed or wanted flash on an iOS device.

23. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Well iOS is based off of Mac OS so with that it'd be easy to note that flash wouldn't be very efficient on iOS either. I purchased Skyfire and I've probably used it twice in the past few months. A lot less than I though I'd need it for. I'm really not against flash and couldn't care less at the moment whether iOS devices are allowed to use it natively. What I care about is how it'll affect the devices performance if Apple choose's to allow it.

24. joltaxt macrumors regular

I never even use flash on my MBP so I doubt I'll use it on my iPad. Not a dealbreaker for me.

25. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

I'm confused, please help me . . .

But Stirolak123 says Apple left money on the table by not including Flash. Now you're saying Apple makes more money by not including Flash.

I'm confused. Can you anti-Apple people get together, come up with a coherent, unified story, and get back to us?