Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I guess I don't see why this is "idiocracy levels". The point of a review is to, you know, review your experiences with the device you are using. If your hair is getting caught in the thing, well, that should be part of the review, no?

We are too used to either glowing praise or flat out bashing of products these days. Maybe getting hair caught in the phone is actually an issue for some people. I have buzzed my hair for a few years, but if my hair was longer and it was getting caught in the phone when talking on it, it would certainly be something I notice and mention if I was writing a review about the device.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I guess I don't see why this is "idiocracy levels". The point of a review is to, you know, review your experiences with the device you are using. If your hair is getting caught in the thing, well, that should be part of the review, no?

We are too used to either glowing praise or flat out bashing of products these days. Maybe getting hair caught in the phone is actually an issue for some people. I have buzzed my hair for a few years, but if my hair was longer and it was getting caught in the phone when talking on it, it would certainly be something I notice and mention if I was writing a review about the device.

I just poofed my hair with my phone trying to get hair caught in the seams for about 45 seconds and not one hair got stuck.

Care to explain that?

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Same thing used to happen when I had the original Motorola Razor. Only phone that ever did it. Super annoying. I think it's a valid complaint.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I just poofed my hair with my phone trying to get hair caught in the seams for about 45 seconds and not one hair got stuck.

Care to explain that?

I honestly have no idea. The fact that three different people are experiencing similar things makes me feel they probably aren't making it up.

Or maybe they are. Or maybe you got your hair caught and just don't want to admit it (I don't truly believe that, though I think you are able to see my point).

The fact that one person gets his/her hair caught in a device isn't prof positive that every other person will. Conversely, that fact that one person does not get his/her hair caught in a device is not proof positive no other user will.

We each write about our own personal experiences when reviewing anything.. The debate on screen size is a great example. some people love it. Others think it's too big. These opinions find themselves into reviews. Because reviews, by nature, are going to be heavily influenced by personal opinions and experiences.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Only an Apple user could afford heading to Mars.

You continue to be an enigma on these forums. You seem to be an Apple hater, so why do you spend all of your time on an Apple forum? Is your life this empty? Have you considered a hobby? Maybe even something that would get you outside in the fresh air?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I got some of my short and curly ones pulled out when I was checking out those stolen iCloud celebrity photos and the phone started to vibrate when I got a call.

But I liked it.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
You guys act like these people are so bad and idiotic for writing this stuff and yet at the first sign of any criticism of your phones you go off with "PAID SSAMSSUNG SHILLS AHGGG" or accusing people of trolling. It's sad. Maybe look in the mirror before insulting others aye?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
You guys act like these people are so bad and idiotic for writing this stuff and yet at the first sign of any criticism of your phones you go off with "PAID SSAMSSUNG SHILLS AHGGG" or accusing people of trolling. It's sad. Maybe look in the mirror before insulting others aye?

The thing is most of the angles of point of view these people come with are fundamentally wrong and its not our problem they weren't here for all the conversations where we argue the points of why Apple products are so superior, in so many layered ways. And as a professional its your duty to understand these scopes otherwise you are not really qualified to review. Pro reviewers understand the subtle fundamental principles that make Apple better, and when amateurs have that subtext of downplaying Apple, (for example people who come to conclusions in interviews based on specs) then that is a clue that they don't really understand whats even going on and are not fit to be critics.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
The thing is most of the angles of point of view these people come with are fundamentally wrong and its not our problem they weren't here for all the conversations where we argue the points of why Apple products are so superior, in so many layered ways. And as a professional its your duty to understand these scopes otherwise you are not really qualified to review. Pro reviewers understand the subtle fundamental principles that make Apple better, and when amateurs have that subtext of downplaying Apple, (for example people who come to conclusions in interviews based on specs) then that is a clue that they don't really understand whats even going on and are not fit to be critics.

" its not our problem they weren't here for all the conversations where we argue the points of why Apple products are so superior"

Really man? You think there don't exist legitimate criticisms of apple and the iphone where other phones can actually top them depending on the person? That's very, very, narrow of a viewpoint there.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
" its not our problem they weren't here for all the conversations where we argue the points of why Apple products are so superior"

Really man? You think there don't exist legitimate criticisms of apple and the iphone where other phones can actually top them depending on the person? That's very, very, narrow of a viewpoint there.

There are criticisms but those guys don't know them.

To them, the criticisms they consider valid are the ones any average member on here can quickly debunk with a phrase.

Its obvious to half the world, but the other half, they are in a closed circuit mentality.

For example people don't understand that the eco-system is more valuable than any asset any competitor has, and they usually don't phrase their thoughts in a way that reflects that superiority.

The MacBook Pro retina and OSX are the best laptop and OS on earth. And it naturally syncs with iCloud and iOS (and now even more interrelated than ever before) and only iOS has access to that.

So no matter what a competitor does in one handset unit, still is not enough to be considered better than iPhone.

But what they do is the exact opposite of acknowledging that, and review a spec sheet and say stuff like "its clear the Android takes the lead in this aspect or that aspect"

And people act like thats legitimate "opinion".

No its just missing the plot.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
There are criticisms but those guys don't know them.

To them, the criticisms they consider valid are the ones any average member on here can quickly debunk with a phrase.

Its obvious to half the world, but the other half, they are in a closed circuit mentality.

For example people don't understand that the eco-system is more valuable than any asset any competitor has, and they usually don't phrase their thoughts in a way that reflects that superiority.

The MacBook Pro retina and OSX are the best laptop and OS on earth. And it naturally syncs with iCloud and iOS (and now even more interrelated than ever before) and only iOS has access to that.

So no matter what a competitor does in one handset unit, still is not enough to be considered better than iPhone.

But what they do is the exact opposite of acknowledging that, and review a spec sheet and say stuff like "its clear the Android takes the lead in this aspect or that aspect"

And people act like thats legitimate "opinion".

No its just missing the plot.

"So no matter what a competitor does in one handset unit, still is not enough to be considered better than iPhone. "

That's just your opinion man. I have tons of friends who have moved away from iphone to android phones and they think they are a lot better. Hell I might even upgrade to an android phone, haven't quite decided.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012

So you're saying people are stupid for complaining that a device meant to be held to one's ear can catch on one's hair?

Sounds like a rather significant design oversight. Face it: Ive's designs look good on a pedestal but in the real world they are rarely as beautiful to use as they should be.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
The thing is most of the angles of point of view these people come with are fundamentally wrong and its not our problem

Angles have points. Points do not have angles.

Competitors with time can make devices that can be better than the iPhone, just like how Apple got riled up seeing the aggressive Samsung marketing tactics and strategy that shows how much better they are. Its not that Apple is superior, but that Samsung, with time has actually upped their game. It is thanks to competitors striving to make better and more reliable products that we see the iPhone 6 and 6+ as it is now, if it were not for them, we would still be on those small screens...

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
What about the huge gap in the Note 4? It's so big you can insert a credit card between the phone and the glass. I know it hasn't been released here yet but it has in other countries and it's an issue.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA

Care to explain that?

I have very long hair and the phone doesn't catch it; however, guys with those stiff prickly beards or long stubble might get a hair stuck due to the fact their face hairs are more like thin pointy quills than the hair on our head. I believe it could happen though not an issue for most.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
"So no matter what a competitor does in one handset unit, still is not enough to be considered better than iPhone. "

That's just your opinion man. I have tons of friends who have moved away from iphone to android phones and they think they are a lot better. Hell I might even upgrade to an android phone, haven't quite decided.

Im not interested in your opinions or how relevant they are. Im interested in establishing what is the best. Just on the merit of greatness itself, if nothing else. And then during the ownership process I like to revel in that, knowing I have the best, it gives me peace.

So you're saying people are stupid for complaining that a device meant to be held to one's ear can catch on one's hair?

Sounds like a rather significant design oversight. Face it: Ive's designs look good on a pedestal but in the real world they are rarely as beautiful to use as they should be.

Actually your thought process is more like:

1) Ive is the best and it sickens me. His designs annoy me because they give a high priority to style. Maybe even the classic criticism of style over function.

2) I will look for things to dethrone him, to show he is no longer the best and overrated.

3) Oh here is a customer complaining about something that which supports my mental urges to hate.

4) I will believe it blindly and hold it as true because I want it to be true even if i know deep down inside its just illogical nonsense.

Angles have points. Points do not have angles.

Competitors with time can make devices that can be better than the iPhone, just like how Apple got riled up seeing the aggressive Samsung marketing tactics and strategy that shows how much better they are. Its not that Apple is superior, but that Samsung, with time has actually upped their game. It is thanks to competitors striving to make better and more reliable products that we see the iPhone 6 and 6+ as it is now, if it were not for them, we would still be on those small screens...

Yes, Apple is superior, Ive tried out the Galaxy Note in the store.

The number one asset coming out of S. Korea is K-Pop not Samsung.

My dads Samsung TV can't even run the Youtube App correctly and the software in the TV is pure retardation. Voice commands and navigation are horribly horribly implemented.

What about the huge gap in the Note 4? It's so big you can insert a credit card between the phone and the glass. I know it hasn't been released here yet but it has in other countries and it's an issue.

Samsung phones are not expected to be flawless. There is no news here.

We never expected them to be the best.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
Fixed Hair Gate!

As soon as I read about Hair Gate I decided to take care of the problem. I had my wife shave my head. I never got any of my hair stuck but I didn't want to take the chance.
I also fixed the Bend Gate, I never put a $900.00 electronic device in my back pocket because of my fear I might sit on it and break it. Or that I would scratch it with the change in my pocket, or my keys that are in my front pockets. Problems solved.
I love my 128gig space gray 6+.
Treat it right and it will treat you right!

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Yes, Apple is superior, Ive tried out the Galaxy Note in the store.

The number one asset coming out of S. Korea is K-Pop not Samsung.

My dads Samsung TV can't even run the Youtube App correctly and the TV is pure retardation.

Samsung phones are not expected to be flawless. There is no news here.

We never expected them to be the best.

I got hands on time with the Galaxy S5... the "Tips" equivalent app on that phone is amazing! Animated person that talks you through what you can do with it and tells you to try it out... sure iPhone still rules, but the Samsung does better in some areas.

I LOVE K-POP. Who's your favorite artist?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
This does in fact happen to me. The shortly cropped hair on the side of my head catches on the glass/aluminum seam. It's a small issue but never happened with my other iPhone's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.