Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
So I'm on hold with the doctor's office trying to make an appointment and the on-hold music is..

"Friend Of The Devil" by The Grateful Dead, to which I know all the words.

That makes me feel old.

Another time a few years ago I was in an elevator and the musak playing was an instrumental-musak version of Aqualung by Jethro Tull.

That also made me feel old.

What makes you feel old?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I first started feeling old when I started to repeat some of the things my parents said to me, to my children. Also, I felt old when my daughter started to drive when she was 16, and when she went off to college last August.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
You're in a club and you think to yourself 'does the music really have to be that loud?'

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Frig that, Yellow! Friend of the devil is a friend of mine! :)

And I totally agree about the loudness, MacBoobsPro! What the hell is that about anyway? Personally I would rather not have to scream in my friends' ears in order to say something.

... you know you're old when... you discover that there are 'big' consequences to eating the lousy food you used to without a problem.

mariahrg

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2004
Paso Robles Ca
i remember watching nick at nite and my mom would tell me "i grew up watching these shows." now nick at nite plays the shows i grew up to.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
You know you're old when...

you click on a link titled "You know you're old when..." knowing you're going to agree with more than 75% of the indicators before you read any of them. :eek:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Another one...in the car, if I'm not listening to Howard Stern, I'm likely listening to Lithium, the 90s alternative/rock channel on Sirius. Just like my mom and dad listen to the oldies channels; the music they grew up with, I'm listening to the music I grew up with.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Another one...in the car, if I'm not listening to Howard Stern, I'm likely listening to Lithium, the 90s alternative/rock channel on Sirius. Just like my mom and dad listen to the oldies channels; the music they grew up with, I'm listening to the music I grew up with.

YES! I find it a little disturbing that these brilliant 90's tunes that give me high school nostalgia are being considered oldies. The cheek of it!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Im only 22, but I feel Im getting old when I see Police Officers that look younger than me.

rick6502

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
You know you are old when your esoteric computer facts are no longer useful.

Example: Princess telephone handsets cannot be used with acoustic modem couplers.

(This happened to me the other day.)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I'm 28. I feel old when I go to concerts. When I'm there, I wish people would just sit down, shut the f*** up and enjoy the show. Not saying they should sit completely still and not make a peep, but the people who sit there going "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" during quiet parts of the songs, and playing with their camera-phones for 2 hours straight just piss me off. It's become less about watching a show and taking in the music, and more about being a social gathering for people to talk to each other and take endless pictures with their camera phones -- "Look at me, I'm at a concert!!" instead of actually paying attention to the performance you paid to see.

I'd also rather be sitting in a seat, rather than be standing in the "pit" or general admission area, and it kind of annoys me that sometimes in order to get an actual seat, it puts you so far away from the stage. I really don't want to stand for 2 hours straight.

That makes me feel old :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
You know you are getting old when you go somewhere in the house to get something, but when you arrive you forgot what you went there for.

I am sure many older members -- and maybe some of our younger members -- have experienced that.

However, recently, I've gone on to the next plane. My wife and I both forgot what we were looking for at the same time in the same room. We both are looking at each other wondering what's up and realizing neither of us knew. We had a good chuckle.

...and at least we recognized each other. :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You know you are getting old when you go somewhere in the house to get something, but when you arrive you forgot what you went there for.

I am sure many older members -- and maybe some of our younger members -- have experienced that.

However, recently, I've gone on to the next plane. My wife and I both forgot what we were looking for at the same time in the same room. We both are looking at each other wondering what's up and realizing neither of us knew. We had a good chuckle.

...and at least we recognized each other. :)

LOL! That's awesome.

I've definitely done that.. gone into my office to look for something, get sidetracked by another object (probably shiny) that reminds me to do something else.. and then I'm unable to remember why the hell I went in there in the first place.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
When I realize my co-worker was not born when I was rocking Duran Duran and doesn't even know who Alf was.

I also get a kick when cashiers call me "Sir" now. (I'm only 35).

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
When I realize my co-worker was not born when I was rocking Duran Duran and doesn't even know who Alf was.

I also get a kick when cashiers call me "Sir" now. (I'm only 35).

Alf? That was around when Snickers were called Marathon right?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I've definitely done that.. gone into my office to look for something, get sidetracked by another object (probably shiny) that reminds me to do something else.. and then I'm unable to remember why the hell I went in there in the first place.

"probably shiny" I "LOL"ed

All. The. Freakin. Time. Often the mysterious reason is lost for good but sometimes it merely takes going back to the previous room (and always sitting down) and then I remember. http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/slapFhead.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.