You know you're old when... ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yellow, May 5, 2010.

1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

So I'm on hold with the doctor's office trying to make an appointment and the on-hold music is..

"Friend Of The Devil" by The Grateful Dead, to which I know all the words.

That makes me feel old.

Another time a few years ago I was in an elevator and the musak playing was an instrumental-musak version of Aqualung by Jethro Tull.

That also made me feel old.

What makes you feel old?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm only 24 years old and started feeling old when I saw professional athletes that are younger than me.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I first started feeling old when I started to repeat some of the things my parents said to me, to my children. Also, I felt old when my daughter started to drive when she was 16, and when she went off to college last August.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You're in a club and you think to yourself 'does the music really have to be that loud?'

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Drawing a blank here. I'll let you know in another 50 years or so.

It's a state of mind, I guess.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Frig that, Yellow! Friend of the devil is a friend of mine! :)

And I totally agree about the loudness, MacBoobsPro! What the hell is that about anyway? Personally I would rather not have to scream in my friends' ears in order to say something.

... you know you're old when... you discover that there are 'big' consequences to eating the lousy food you used to without a problem.

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I started feeling old when I was 15. I started realising that I was just not as flexible or energetic as before.

8. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

The ten-year interval between 1970 and 1980 seemed forever to me when I was a kid.

OTOH, 2000 seems like yesterday.

That's how I know I'm getting old.

9. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

i remember watching nick at nite and my mom would tell me "i grew up watching these shows." now nick at nite plays the shows i grew up to.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You know you're old when...

you click on a link titled "You know you're old when..." knowing you're going to agree with more than 75% of the indicators before you read any of them. :eek:

11. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Another one...in the car, if I'm not listening to Howard Stern, I'm likely listening to Lithium, the 90s alternative/rock channel on Sirius. Just like my mom and dad listen to the oldies channels; the music they grew up with, I'm listening to the music I grew up with.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

YES! I find it a little disturbing that these brilliant 90's tunes that give me high school nostalgia are being considered oldies. The cheek of it!

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I have shoulder and back pain from sitting too long. :eek:

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't often do this, but…

Q F T !!!
    :D

16. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im only 22, but I feel Im getting old when I see Police Officers that look younger than me.

17. rick6502 macrumors member

You know you are old when your esoteric computer facts are no longer useful.

Example: Princess telephone handsets cannot be used with acoustic modem couplers.

(This happened to me the other day.)

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I started feeling old when I realized I was trying to decide whether I'd rather go to bed or have sex.

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm 28. I feel old when I go to concerts. When I'm there, I wish people would just sit down, shut the f*** up and enjoy the show. Not saying they should sit completely still and not make a peep, but the people who sit there going "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" during quiet parts of the songs, and playing with their camera-phones for 2 hours straight just piss me off. It's become less about watching a show and taking in the music, and more about being a social gathering for people to talk to each other and take endless pictures with their camera phones -- "Look at me, I'm at a concert!!" instead of actually paying attention to the performance you paid to see.

I'd also rather be sitting in a seat, rather than be standing in the "pit" or general admission area, and it kind of annoys me that sometimes in order to get an actual seat, it puts you so far away from the stage. I really don't want to stand for 2 hours straight.

That makes me feel old :)

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You know you are getting old when you go somewhere in the house to get something, but when you arrive you forgot what you went there for.

I am sure many older members -- and maybe some of our younger members -- have experienced that.

However, recently, I've gone on to the next plane. My wife and I both forgot what we were looking for at the same time in the same room. We both are looking at each other wondering what's up and realizing neither of us knew. We had a good chuckle.

...and at least we recognized each other. :)

21. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im sure that will deteriorate over time!

22. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL! That's awesome.

I've definitely done that.. gone into my office to look for something, get sidetracked by another object (probably shiny) that reminds me to do something else.. and then I'm unable to remember why the hell I went in there in the first place.

23. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

When I realize my co-worker was not born when I was rocking Duran Duran and doesn't even know who Alf was.

I also get a kick when cashiers call me "Sir" now. (I'm only 35).

24. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Alf? That was around when Snickers were called Marathon right?

25. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

"probably shiny" I "LOL"ed

All. The. Freakin. Time. Often the mysterious reason is lost for good but sometimes it merely takes going back to the previous room (and always sitting down) and then I remember. http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/slapFhead.gif