You People Are Crazy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Did we all want a new form factor? Probably. But that aside, what is everyone's problem here ... Apple didn't recycle a single internal component, and they improved;

CPU
    RAM (not confirmed yet)
    GPU 7x Better
    Battery
    Camera
    World Phone
    HSPDA
    Siri
    iOS 5 (probably best iOS upgrade)

What else do you people want? If an extra half inch of a screen is important to you, then go to android, as an iPhone is clearly not for you. Enjoy your crap battery life with flawed security and poor ecosystem.

Point is, Apple could have recycled the iPhone 4 internals and tossed them in the 'tapered' iPod Touch form factor, dubbed the iPhone 5, and people would be wowed? I doubt it.

I really hope everyone here that has complained honestly isn't buying an iPhone 4s, it will make getting mine all the easier ... and that's coming from an iPhone 4 user.

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

We need to start lowering our expectations that Apple is going to release new products every 12 months. We should adjust it to every 2-3 years and minor updates every year.

It's just not feasible for a single company to keep doing this every 12 month.

3. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That's a little pessimistic. Apple has moved their iPhone event to the fall, with the iPad in the spring. This way, instead of having only a few months in the spring/summer between the iPad and iPhone, they now have a pretty even 6 month split. Spring: iPad, Summer: iOS, Fall: iPhone.

If you think that the 4s isn't actually a new product, then you need a reality check. A new chassis every 2 years, maximum.

And don't fix it if it ain't broke. The iPhone may seem 'stagnant', but there is a reason the iPhone line are the top selling smart phones around. You don't see android phones with the 'latest' and 'greatest' hardware taking the iPhone off it's pedestal.

4. vachargerfan macrumors regular

No bigger screen = no upgrade for me. Unless iOS 5 runs dog slow on my 4, there is no need to upgrade

5. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I can understand not upgrading as the i4 is still a great product, and Apple would expect average users to upgrade every other year versus every year (hence their product delivery schedule, IMO). But not upgrading due to a larger screen just seems a bit silly, personally - but to each their own.

6. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

As the OP pointed out, this IS NOT a minor update.

At this point, they have set up a pattern of changing the form factor every other release. Internals get updated every time.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

8. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I could be wrong, but I feel like the 4 -> 4S is even a bigger performance jump than 3GS -> 4.

Apple is following the tick-tock schedule, one year to move to new architecture, another year to perfect/improve performance.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

How is it pessimistic? It's the most realistic expectation. You can't honestly tell me that Apple is the only company on the market that can actually produce brand new devices or unknown technologies precisely every single year, or in other words revolutionary updates every 12 month. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S proves my point that they can't do it, otherwise we'd be at iPhone 6 now with half the thinness, twice the battery life, LTE upgrades and so on.

I never said that it isn't a major upgrade or it isn't a new product, I'm saying in general for people who does think it is not a major update.

As for the release schedule, it doesn't mean anything, Apple doesn't have a fixed schedule and they don't generally stick to it. They'll release stuff when they're ready or when they have to.

You said iOS's schedule is summer and yet, iOS 5 is releasing on Oct 12th.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

what

what a stupid and useless post, i didnt even want to reply to this but please go rant in one of the already created 500 threads.

11. cinger0439 macrumors regular

cinger0439

What companies besides Apple have produced unique new devices or uniquely expanded technology in the last five years? I'd like to know....

12. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Yet other cell phone companies can come out with dozens of new or substantially upgraded phones every year, but we can't expect Apple to make just one?

Something doesn't make sense here..

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

What's crazy is thinking your take on it deserves its very own special thread.

14. zipster macrumors 6502

If it was released in June, I don't think everyone would be as upset.

The delay was definitely software-based... Siri, iCloud... all HUGE products. Those will be more memorable than the 4S. But the 4S is a fantastic phone.

I have the 4 and wouldn't mind upgrading. I love the 4's design and I use the camera on the phone all the time... getting that upgrade would be great.

15. cinger0439 macrumors regular

cinger0439

It doesn't make sense because you are missing the point - there is a difference between pushing out phone after phone with increased specs and truly creating something that changes how people do things. What other companies have done this?

16. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My reaction was... Meh.

Only reason I want to upgrade is so I can give my GF my old iPhone 4.

Don't need a better camera or faster processor right now.

Rather have LTE or a bigger screen.

The Siri thing looks interesting my I highly doubt it will work 100%. Almost all voice control things like this are a gimmick you use to show off to your friends then you never use it again. Cause when you tell it to play pink Floyd it calla your ex-GF or something.

17. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Please! Apple has 50+ billion in cash reserve. Their market capitalization is at the top. Why?, because us consumers have purchased their "breakthrough" phones. For 4 years, they followed a certain release pattern. Then, they change it. So, if many of us consumers expect more, we have a right to.

18. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

In reality, it is an update but for a company who prides itself for pushing the limits and developing amazing designs, this update is horrendous.

CPU - I can count 10 phones on the market with dual cores
    GPU - Same as GPU
    Battery - It was already good to begin with
    World Phone - This has been done for years
    HSPDA - 4G LTE kicks ass...nuff said
    Siri - Sure it is better than Google Android's voice recognition but...they spent 4 months on this?!?!
    iOS 5 (probably best iOS upgrade) - Software is nice but already announced

Hardware isn't an update at all. It is just catch up.
    Software is nice.

Wallstreet doesn't lie. No one is impressed.

19. Vegastouch, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Funny how you add RAM even though as you put it, it hasnt been confirmed. BTW....there is nothing in that upgrade that Android doesnt have already so Apple is officially now playing catchup.

And as for bad security....who has that? Ive never had a security problem with my Android and is isnt any more in danger than the iPhone is....in fact probably safer since more people seem to want to hack the iPhone.

Dont worry, you wont have any trouble getting an iPhone. The fanfare is wearing off with this weaksauce upgrade. Dont get me wrong, iPhone is a fine device but it isnt setting standards anymore. It is catching up to them while wearing the same skin and screen and still falling short and this is after a 15 month time period to get it together.

20. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Where is;

- Larger screen ?
    - 4G ?
    - NFC ?
    - thinner and lighter ?
    - Widgets ?
    - LED Notification Light ?

If Apple came out with redesigned iPhone5 with all those features I would leave Android and go back to Apple again. Now no thanks, bring on the Nexus-Prime.

21. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I think people need to stop reading so many rumor sites about numerous iPhone models coming out and what screen sizes they might have based on iPhone cases that may or may not exist.

22. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I think it general tasks, the perfomance update doesn't seme much, judging by comparing with an iPad 2. I can barely notice the difference between one and my iPhone 4. However, with gaming, that might be a whole different story. However, it may take long before developers start using the full power of the 4S (after all, they want to have more sales, and to do that, they need to support older devices)

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I agree with you... these spoiled b!tches on here feel entitled to get XXX and XXX on their newest phone. Does anyone remember the previous rumor that there was going to be NO new iPhone this year?

The 4S is a great machine and I think the iPhone 4 design is one of the best looking phones made, even a year later. I don't like any of Android designs still... I own the EVO and I hate that HTC puts a hump for the camera lens on more than half their phones. Also I don't know about anyone else... but I also love the Home button on iOS devices. It's the "easy on" switch for me... I loath hitting the tiny "power" button on the top of my phone and you'd think I'd be used to it since my last 3 phones have had the power button there.

24. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

The iPhone4S is a major letdown of epic proportions. After 16 months they release a new phone in the same case, with the same dimensions, the same small screen, the same thickness ( actually slightly heavier now ), minor OS updates that should have been there in iOS3, no 4G, no 4" display, no LED Notification Light.

Not trying to be rude, but is Apple for real here ? Or is it April Fools, and they will announce the real iPhone5 tomorrow, because I just can't believe that Apple spent 16 months, with the biggest gap between iPhone release in history, just on this minor spec'd bump iPhone4S, it does not make sense. There has to be some secret story to what happened to the "true" iPhone5 none of us know about ?

25. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I don't know, Apple sure didn't today though..