You think maybe the new iPhone will have talk and surf?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BriChi, Sep 21, 2011.

1. BriChi macrumors 6502

Like the title says, Havent heard this mentioned lately, I hope whatever technology the Thunderbolt has to allow talking and surfing at the same time when there is no wifi around is also added to whatever the new iphone may be. What do you guys think?

Yes, Many people dont use it but I know a lot of people that still stuck with ATT because of this "feature", If I am on the phone with a client while out of the office and maybe at a diner let say, I want to be able to look at a new email he has sent without having to hang up the phone, look at it, then call them back

2. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

It's a wireless network standard (GSM vs CDMA) limitation of CDMA, not a phone feature. I forget if Verizon went to a CDMA Rev A standard or whatever to enable it or not. Don't think so.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

No but maybe it will have "surf and turf"

Attached Files:

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Google is your friend : Search term "Thunderbolt" and you will find out for yourself just what it is :)

5. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

it is related to whatever they put in the phone because the TB is on Verizon and it can do it, So why not future phones/iPhones

dont need to search, I dont care WHAT the technology is in the TB, I just want it in the iphone :)

6. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

7. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Thunderbolt and talk/surf at the same time are two totally different things.

Thunderbolt is on laptops/desktops only - think of it as a USB port that can transfer stuff like 20 times faster. All in all, it has nothing to do with talking and surfing on your iPhone at the same time.

Talk and surf is not something that can be added on to a phone like an 8 megapixel camera, it is a technology that is only enabled through the carrier.

AT&T has this technology, Verizon doesn't.

Bottom line, go ask Verizon to work on that, not Apple.

8. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

talking about verizon, not att

9. FortMOney macrumors member

inb4 sh*tstorm

Looks like YOU don't have any idea what you're talking about

10. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahahahahahaha, too funny how clueless you are when you try and put people in their place and "TRY" and make them look like an ass, ass, HTC makes a phone called the Thunderbolt, google it,

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Wow so many here have missed the plot. The poster is talking about the "HTC Thunderbolt phone" not what apple provides on the laptop.

12. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I know, just messing with you. Wait and see if verizon ever lets their customers have this feature. It is a limitation of cdma. When a 4g lte iphone comes out someday maybe verizon will have talk and surf, but it is still not a sure thing.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

I couldn't care less. Like anyone (besides the user who's going to quote me and is going to say that he or she has) has ever used this in real life instead of an AT&T commercial.

14. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

That's because 4G LTE isn't CDMA and allows for simultaneous voice and data.

15. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

yes merkie, i do use this in real life and not like an att commercial, I cannot get new email while on the phone on Verizons network which is a bother sometimes, definitely not a deal breaker for me to switch to att, but enough to ask if the future iphone "may" have it. It is not related to Thunderbolts 4g either, we dont even have 4g by me yet but the thunderbolt can talk and get email while on 3g, kinda cool "if" you need it

Like i mentioned above, you dont need to be on 4g, 3g on the TB still allows this,

16. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The only reason The Thunderbolt has simultaneous voice and data (proper term) service is because it's on the LTE network. Verizon's standard network does not allow both services at once. In the end it's Verizon's network not the iPhone.

Also, considering the LTE network is a complete battery drain I cannot see Apple having that network active on the next iPhone. I use the voice and data at the same time often, I would never move to Verizon or any carrier that couldn't utilize voice and data simultaneously.

17. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

I really dont believe the LTE part has anything to do with it, Like I said, Out by me there is no 4g for at least 30 miles away yet TB users can do this with wifi off. Here is a quote from another thread of TB users

18. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Well you better believe that it is the LTE that enables this, because the cdma **** network does not do it. Maybe the TB has special powers, who knows.

19. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

My bad, you are correct, the Thunderbolt is indeed capable of simultaneous voice and data over 3G. My guess is the next-gen iPhone won't be capable of this as it'll likely be using the same radios that the current Verizon iPhone 4 has, hence no simultaneous voice & data over 3G on CDMA networks. It'll need '4G-capable' chips, although it won't be running on 4G.

20. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha, maybe that is it, the TB has superman powers.

But again, lte would have nothing to do with this in the TB case because it is not even in my area and this can be done

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're going to come here asking questions stop rejecting everyone's answer!

CDMA, the Verizon network, does not support voice and data at the same time - that is fact. I don't care who these TB users are, they are not using voice and data at the same time while they are on CDMA.

And, if you're so sure everyone is wrong why are you asking? Go ask at a Verizon store.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW
    http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=13483

Engadget has a VZW document that notes the experience may not be good and tells employees not to reference that functionality.

[​IMG]

23. walie macrumors 6502a

HaHAhaah, what a beauty

24. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

It does indeed. Check out Anandtech's Thunderbolt review.

25. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

IM REJECTING YOUR ANSWER BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG, DO SOME RESEARCH AND READ THE COUPLE OF POSTS ABOVE THIS ONE BEFORE SAYING I AM WRONG, AS PER EVEN THE TB RELEASE PAGE:::

The Verizon Thunderbolt by HTC will be the first to support simultaneous voice and data use, whether in 3G OR 4G LTE coverage areas.