You think Radioshack will be busy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captainobvvious, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I don't know how it is where you all are but where I live Radioshack is a dumpy old store in a strip mall that I can't imagine gets much business with three Best Buys within 15 minutes of each other.

With an Apple Store, three Best Buys and two AT&T stores nearby I am wondering if there is any chance that Radioshack may sneak under the radar and be an easy launch day pickup... That would be awesome because while I am getting mine mailed to me on the 24th my Wife's isn't coming until July 15th...

Which reminds me, if i order online can I still get one in the store on launch day then cancel the online order?

But like I said I don't know whether or not Radioshock is huge elsewhere but I am uncertain whether or not people in my area would think to try Radioshack over the more obvious options.

2. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Let's just say this.... it will be the busiest day of the YEAR for Radioshack stores on the 24th! By the time the 24th comes around, the level of desperation will be at its highest. And if Radioshack is still an option, you can bet people will turn up in droves. On the other hand, you might have a better chance there than Best Buy since they will most likely not even get enough to fill preorders. Walmart isn't doing preorders, so you can bet they will have LONG lines for phones early in the morning.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think "The Shack" will be packed, but not because of huge demand, but rather the two clerks that work there don't give a crap and will work as slow as they want. I also don't think they will have any "extra" phones for walk-ins.

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You know, I find it incredible that anyone would even consider getting their iPhone from Radio Shack. It's "Radio Shack" people! Hello! If I need a funny little 3 to one video adapter or something like that, their nice to have around, but get my iPhone from them? Unthinkable! But that's just me. I wouldn't consider ordering it from anywhere other than Apple directly.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

This 1+ well said!

6. puggles macrumors regular

7. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I think for the first time in its existence, it will be busy!! :p

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is why I come to this forum. To see thread titles that feature sentences I've never seen before in my life. It's just such a joy to experience all these new things!

9. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I can tell ya this ... people who never knew Radio Shack was there or existed do now. Launch day will certainly be there biggest day of the year. Being that the Radio Shacks are independently owned and operated you can bet your A$$ they will be unprepared and under staffed. Good luck if you go that route!

10. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Location Location Location.

The demographics of your area is everything. The Best Buy here had about 20 pre-orders the Manager told me. I have already came to the realization that it very well will be hit or miss. Consequently, I decided that if I really want to have the phone on launch day, I shall be up and store surfing by 5 a.m. With 60k people in the college town I live in, I really believe it'll be early enough.

Especially with Best Buy, ATT and Wal-Mart all in a 2 mile radius.

Blonde Buddhist

11. jbro1999 macrumors regular

only 4 stores in my district (out of 22) got a phone thru pre order.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I'm on a hand-written list at a Radio Shack because the two guys working there weren't able to generate a PIN for me, so, needless to say, I don't hold much hope that i will be able to pick my phone up there on 6/24. Luckily, I was able to get a reservation at Apple for 6/24, so my game plan is to call the Shack on 6/23 and ask if they know how many and which type of ip4 they will be receiving on 6/24. I think I already know their response (uh...we don't have any information on that). If that's the response I get, then I'm heading for the Apple store and getting in line. I'll probably call Radio Shack from the line on 6/24 to see if they got any in. If they did and they can assure me that they have one for me (I'm like 3rd on the list), then I'll go get it. My problem is that I traded my 3GS in and now have a $247 Radio Shack gift card that I'd like to use toward the phone.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

"You have questions. We have blank stares." - unknown

14. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Radio Shack Busy? Is that an oxymoron?

Yeah, there will actually be people there. I can't imagine it to be as much of a zoo compared to the apple store or best buy though.

15. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

:rolleyes: since the phone can be set up by just about anyone, especially if you are already a customer, I think this paranoid attitude is comical. Would I prefer to get it from Apple, ATT or Best Buy? Sure. Do I think that Radio Shack or Walmart can set it up to work just fine? Absolutely.

Preference is fine. More than fine. To "not consider" anywhere but Apple, or say it's "unthinkable" is pretty ridiculous. Thats my two pennies.

Blonde Buddhist

16. Genocyde macrumors member

I went to three Radio Shack's yesterday, it doesn't look promising. Two stores couldn't even pre-order any because they ran out of some internal pin number for their pre-order system. The third had a few pre-orders, and was expecting 5 phones for walk-ins in their shipment on the 24th. The shipment is getting there around noon, and there were 38 people on the waiting list for those supposed 5 phones.

17. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

After 600,000 phones preordered and more people wanting phones they couldn't get a preorder for, I think every Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, Radio Shack, and Wal-Mart will be packed with people in line for the iPhone 4. I don't think any store will go without someone waiting.

18. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I originally had planned to use Radio Shack as my backup plan if I couldn't pre-order.

I think it depends on where you live. The one near me is as you've described and I can't imagine it being very busy with an ATT store and Best Buy just down the road. It's a great option for a lot of people, IMO.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No.

I've been calling walmarts all over the place, corporate, their little "letstalk" connection outfit and NOBODY has a clue on when they are getting the iPhone or which stores will. I doubt they'll know until the 24th when the box shows up at random stores.

So if walmart doesn't even know when walmart will get inventory then they won't make any announcements, and if people don't know to shop there....

20. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Making assumptions about stuff like this one way or the other may surprise you.

I bought both a Nintendo Wii and PS3 years ago during times when many of the places like Best Buy local to my area (around downtown San Diego) were insane... 100+ people lines. The PS3 was the hyped release package w/ MGS4 and new controller, the Wii was after Nintendo shut down sales for a couple weeks to build up stock for X-mas, starting sales again on the Sunday prior.

With the PS3, I went to a Walmart about 15 miles south in a low income area, walked in and got the 3rd one that morning shortly after opening, only after calling first to find out there was no line. With the Wii, I wasn't even serious about getting one so went to a Gamestop at the downtown mall (parking is a nuisance) 45 minutes before store opening and was first in line - simply because it was a 15 minute walk. They only had an 8 unit allocation, and only a few minutes before the store opening was that allocation set.

Later that day I read about how people all around the country were camping out at stores, surviving blizzards and such. I almost felt guilty it was so easy.

Though with this, I would be a bit wary about how much allocation Radioshacks get. Apple stores tend to get hundreds, Best Buy probably like 100 or so... RS - 10? Who knows. But if alot of people doubt RS will be a good avenue to get one, that may be all it takes to be the perfect place to buy. I'm going to get to the least popular Apple store (close to the Mexican border) a couple hours in advance just to be on the safe side.

21. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

I wonder if they will ask for your name, address, and phone number like they do when you try to buy a cordless phone battery or well, anything at all. ;)

I can't imagine either of our crappy Radio Shacks will be very busy. Our Best Buy will probably be packed, however.

22. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Depends on where you live... with the exception of places like New York City, most places will have lines, but not very long ones.

I bought into the hype the first year about the lines and showed up 5 hours before launch time. People that showed up 30 minutes before still got a phone.

Ever since then I just show up at either the AT&T or Apple store maybe an hour before. This year I chose to pre-order from Apple. Downside is I won't get my phones until the afternoon or early evening.

Again, this is just my area, yours may be different. I suggest asking people in your area that bought last year from ATT or Apple to gauge. Keep in mind the RS lines will be shorter since most people avoid them. I'm surprised RS is still in business ever since they got rid of the discrete components and hobby/heath kit stuff.

23. Kenal0 macrumors regular

I would always opt for the Apple Store- most people on staff to help customers and by far the biggest inventory. They always will have more phones than RS or BB.

Kenal0

24. r3voLoL macrumors member

My local "shack" won't have any iPhones on launch. Just called and the manager confirmed this with me.

25. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well... I did add "But that's just me." I just personally wouldn't trust any of those other third parties, including AT&T, to get my phone to me on launch day. So allow me to rephrase myself, I would "prefer" to get mine directly from Apple. :D