You want a Lightning cable now?

danpass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Miami, FL
Do an Apple store online purchase with in-store pickup.

I just did it last night using the iPhone Apple store app.

It allows you to choose any apple store for pickup and it shows availability at that store.

My closest one had none but the next closest did.

I got there today and they had none on the wall but they did have the online purchase/pickup units in the back. Apparently that stock is just for online orders.

You can't just check availability, you have to complete the purchase.

Last edited:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I went to the Apple Store in Barcelona and they had plenty of Lightning cables in stock (the guy even seemed surprised when I asked him if they had any left) so I picked one up.

€19 btw. I bet it only costed them around €1.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I ordered 2 extra ones the day I ordered my 5 and I've already got them. At first, shipping was in Oct but then they just randomly showed up at my door.

madridista59

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Houston, TX
4 apple stores within 15 min driving distance for me here in houston and only 1 has 'em in stock. the rest say october 22nd. blah. i really don't feel like driving to memorial. i guess i can tough it out and just carry my ONE lightning cable back and forth between home and work :)

aajeevlin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2010
4 apple stores within 15 min driving distance for me here in houston and only 1 has 'em in stock. the rest say october 22nd. blah. i really don't feel like driving to memorial. i guess i can tough it out and just carry my ONE lightning cable back and forth between home and work :)
Was just at "Apple Store Bethesda Row", was there around 10:30 this morning. If my math is right they have I'd say 50-100 lighting cable. In the 30 minutes I was there I think I was the only person to get one.

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Do an Apple store online purchase with in-store pickup.

I just did it last night using the iPhone Apple store app.

It allows you to choose any apple store for pickup and it shows availability at that store.

My closest one had none but the next closest did.

I got there today and they had none on the wall but they did have the online purchase/pickup units in the back. Apparently that stock is just for online orders.

You can't just check availability, you have to complete the purchase.

Is this US only?

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks for the info I am going to give it a try next week when I am finally in a city with an Apple store

redman042

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2008
The "reserve for pick-up" method worked for me. Until I got to the store and they refused to give it to me because my wife's name is on the Apple account but she wasn't with me to show her ID. Even though we both use the same account, and I could show the credit card, it didn't matter. Even though it was just a cable, not a phone, the manager couldn't do it. They said the rule about the named person picking it up was very, very firm. In the future I need to manually change the name to myself before hitting the Buy button.

But to make me feel better, they GAVE me a spare lightning cable they had in the back instead (brand new but not in a box).

I walked out of there a little stunned.

This is why I give Apple my business.

PerPlekz

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
just order it from the website, ships immediately

(for those not close to an apple store)

PerPlekz

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
They aren't in stock are they ?
um yes yes and yes!

Apple pulled a fast one on everybody. A week ago when the site stated "delivery in october" people were ordering them and getting shipping notices the very next day, same thing happened with me.

but i think the lightning adapters are a different story

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
UK seems to be getting plenty of stock of cables, last 3 Apple Stores I've been in have all had a wall full of them.

Even got a lightning microUSB adapter today from Apple Eldon Square (though there weren't many of those on the wall, maybe 10 or so).

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Cool. Just saw this thread. I checked and my local store has some. I canceled my online order from yesterday and ordered again for pickup. Just got the pickup email a minute ago. I'll be off to the Arrowhead Mall soon! :D

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Changing the connector was beyond brilliant...if you're a stockholder. Even if only 500,000 people bought an extra cord at launch, that's a cool $10 million, and I'm sure 500,000 is low. If they hadn't changed the connector, they'd have sold very few cables by comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.