Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
0cb36a991b290f47515f678d9e3dc6c4.jpg

I really liked this tree. I'm not good at photography.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
My skill level doesn't even compete so I'll post my personal favorite, just for fun

a7f0d41085664663d36d5b14412da31f.jpg

As for the story... I'm just always trying to get good shots of my daughter lol

Kiddo shots like this often tell their own story when composed to exclude distracting background elements. The expressions and gestures speak for themselves and invite the viewer to create their own narrative. Your daughter is adorable and you captured this well :)

Reactions: kenoh and blaine07

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
My young boy always enjoys pushing the buttons and looking through the viewfinder of my Sony A7RII. For his first birthday, I wanted to ensure he could explore this interest and I gifted him this wooden camera. He takes it everywhere with him and I encourage him to picture the scene wherever he goes. This photo was captured during a beautiful, autumnal walk in Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow. The entire path was covered in gorgeous brown-yellow leaves, creating a beautiful ambient light, which I used to frame the image in colour. I managed to lock on at the perfect moment as he composed his shot.

Not bad for a 20 month old. :)

DSC07764-Edit,large.2x.1482276386.jpg

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
My young boy always enjoys pushing the buttons and looking through the viewfinder of my Sony A7RII. For his first birthday, I wanted to ensure he could explore this interest and I gifted him this wooden camera. He takes it everywhere with him and I encourage him to picture the scene wherever he goes. This photo was captured during a beautiful, autumnal walk in Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow. The entire path was covered in gorgeous brown-yellow leaves, creating a beautiful ambient light, which I used to frame the image in colour. I managed to lock on at the perfect moment as he composed his shot.

Which lens are you shooting with?

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Some really cracking images on this post.....it's already inspiring me for 2017 !

It was a difficult choice, but went for this one in the end as it was the first time I'd shot with a 'proper' macro lens. It represents one of those times when I felt l actually learnt something when shooting, there were lots of dud shots.

I still have lots to learn, but as AFB says, it's a journey..

_SMO3272.jpg by Steve Moakes, on Flickr

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Some really cracking images on this post.....it's already inspiring me for 2017 !

It was a difficult choice, but went for this one in the end as it was the first time I'd shot with a 'proper' macro lens. It represents one of those times when I felt l actually learnt something when shooting, there were lots of dud shots.

I still have lots to learn, but as AFB says, it's a journey..

_SMO3272.jpg by Steve Moakes, on Flickr
Lovely shot and a great choice. The D750 with 105 macro is a great combination. But you really nailed this one. I shoot a lot of bees on flowers but this one is certainly better than a lot of what I've taken.

Reactions: Moakesy

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
This was shot with the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm F1.8, but I also shoot with the Sony FE 24-70 F2.8 GM and the Sony FE 70-200 F4 G.

I have the Ziess 35mm and while I love the versatility, I sometimes wish I got 55mm instead. I really like shooting Sony, but the lenses require some consideration in between purchases for the casual photographer on a budget.

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
0cb36a991b290f47515f678d9e3dc6c4.jpg

I really liked this tree. I'm not good at photography.

First tip to being good at photography... Stop saying you are no good at photography... It is our job to tell you that... :)

You just need to start your journey... So take a stroll with us and learn some stuff along the way...

I think your first goal is to read about composition. That will transform your photographs and start development of your vision. You will learn to see rather than merely look through your viewfinder...

[doublepost=1483645087][/doublepost]

Cracking. And that answers my question of where you are... :) I am in Giffnock. Never thought of Kelvingrove in the autumn... On the list now
[doublepost=1483645357][/doublepost]
I have the Ziess 35mm and while I love the versatility, I sometimes wish I got 55mm instead. I really like shooting Sony, but the lenses require some consideration in between purchases for the casual photographer on a budget.

The 55 is a great lens as is the 35 but there are alternate options now too. The version 3 15mm Voigtlander absolutely sings on the Sony

Reactions: Septembersrain

uvafan1

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Hampton, Va
I have not been around much lately. I have been battling lung cancer for the last 18 months. I shot this selfie with my Nikon D610 on a tripod and a remote in my hand. It was taken during my chemo treatments. I thought the sunset and back story made for a compelling photo...
IMG_0025.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I have not been around much lately. I have been battling lung cancer for the last 18 months. I shot this selfie with my Nikon D610 on a tripod and a remote in my hand. It was taken during my chemo treatments. I thought the sunset and back story made for a compelling photo... View attachment 685609
It certainly is a compelling shot - good luck with your fight :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have not been around much lately. I have been battling lung cancer for the last 18 months. I shot this selfie with my Nikon D610 on a tripod and a remote in my hand. It was taken during my chemo treatments. I thought the sunset and back story made for a compelling photo... View attachment 685609
Great shot. Lovely colours. Well executed.
Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hope things get better.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Ah ****! Sorry to hear that sir. I hope you are winning the fight. That is a beautiful shot. A memory worth capturing in perpetuity.

uvafan1

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Hampton, Va
It certainly is a compelling shot - good luck with your fight :)

Cheers :)

Hugh
I would thank everyone for the kind words. Our last CAT scan was just before Thanksgiving, there were no signs of cancer. I have returned to work and am slowly getting back out with my cameras. I will continue to be monitored and I am limited in what I can do, but I intend enjoy moment I have! Again thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.