Your favorite new feature?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by marsmissions, Jul 22, 2011.

1. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

What are your favorite new features or improvements?

For me, it has to be that the tracking speed of the magic mouse is no longer failtastic! I don't feel depressed when I need to turn it on to do some photo editing (using sliders in LR3 with a trackpad is shameful)

I am also enjoying full screen apps, I have never used spaces before, and I feel like integrating fullscreen apps into spaces was an excellent decision. Spaces in itself is a very old concept, and was pretty dated - this new iteration feels fresh and useful.

2. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

Full screen mode, for sure. Since I'm on a 13'' MBP, screen real estate is at a premium and full screen mode helps a LOT. If I could take that feature and the new Mail app back to Snow Leopard, I would. That's all I really need, honestly.

3. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

It's difficult for me.

Things like Fullscreen, iOS Scrollbars, auto-correct text, finders grouping and the great performance/speed improvements.

Using Lion makes OS X feel 'fresh' for me.

4. westonm macrumors member

Of the headlining new features, probably versions. Being able to forget about saving documents is... freeing.

Of the minor features probably iOS style scrollbars. I like the clean look. :)

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd agree with you about the scroll bars. Unless you're on a craptastically old computer that doesn't support scrolling devices, STOP USING THE DAMN SCROLL BAR. OK, you also get a pass if you use an app that fracks up if you try to scroll -- hello, Moneydance.

I'm very AR about redundant stuff, and that had definitely become redundant with how little it is used.

I'm liking the full screen feature, although it's a little overkill on a 21.5" iMac. The 13.3" MacBook I have at work is still on Snow Leopard, so I might have to push for a new one or an upgrade.

The new Mail is just awesome. It's so much cleaner. If someone tries to make me use Outlook at work, he or she will be lucky to just get the stink eye.

The gestures are also quite great. I am limited with a Magic Mouse, but I just figured out the two-finger double-tap to bring up Mission Control. Hello. Now if I could just have a Kinect-like sensor that would allow me to change the volume like a freakin' wizard, my life would be complete.

6. RamJetWorm macrumors newbie

My favourite features are:

1: Full disk encryption
    2: The new speech voices. They're great.

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Speed increase and Mission Control is growing on me

Struggling to like the rest of the new features (might when I get more used to them)

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Full screen apps is my absolute favourite. A must for every MacBook. I'm loving Mission Control too, I never used spaces either because I didn't want to assign everything but love how each full screen app automatically creates its own space to swipe through. Used to be a Chrome user but the new Safari is great with Lion with the new gestures. Works and beds in very smoothly with the OS.

Liking the new UI and although I won't use the resume feature when I shut down but it's a great idea for an update which needs a restart.

9. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

flicking between screens in mission control / new spaces. So smooth and easy.

10. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

The only problem with their implementation is that you can't just forget about saving - at least the first time. You still have to press "Save" as normal before Versions starts doing it's thing.

I was hoping that you would be asked for a name as soon as you created a new document, which would be great for computing novices like my dad, who will happily write thousands of words in Pages without ever thinking to press Save. (And if he does remember, he'll just press "Ctrl+S" and think that it's saved!)

11. westonm, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

westonm macrumors member

Resume would supposedly pick up the slack there, as it's really just a type of autosaving. If you quit the app without saving you can get right back where you were when relaunching (it autosaves on quit). And even with a unexpected failure -- power outage, frozen app -- resume saves data to disk every five minutes and during periods of inactivity so all will not be lost. Even without an initial save location.

The only time you can lose data is within those 5 minute windows, or if you specifically hit "Don't save" when given the option in the dialog. Assuming the application is written with resume in mind...

12. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

The new Spaces/Full Screen/Mission Control thing is my favourite new feature. I got a trackpad especially for Lion and everything feels so fast and natural. I love it!

When I go back to school in October I'm looking forward to getting a lot of use out of AutoSave and Versions too!

13. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Are there really new speech voices? I only see the old ones...:confused:

Edit: Oh do you mean the downloadable ones? I didn't download them yet seeing each of them is <300mb.

14. Portaluk Guest

In addition to all the main ones (mission control etc) three finger double tap on a word to bring up dictionary.

15. marsmissions thread starter macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I also enjoy this one.

16. mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

Something that hasn’t been given any mention, but was snuck in, is that Quick Look now right sizes the view of files when scanning through multiple files of differing sizes. Air Drop will come in really handy. Resizing windows from all sides is a good addition.

17. basher macrumors 6502

basher

New Folder with Selection

To see it in action, select multiple items and then right click. The option will appear at the top of the pop-up menu.

18. TonicAngel macrumors regular

Some of my fav features are: Launchpad (hot corner works best for me), full screen, mail, safari (finally switched back from Chrome), gestures, mission control, emoji keyboard support (no more x's on twitter) and the look of finder. I also love that they disabled the pinch to zoom in finder - I would do it on accident and it drove me nuts. Overall - there are a few bugs I've found but love lion! It's a lot of fun on my MBA. I can see why it would be a different experience on a computer with a mouse. Love Lion and am very happy I upgraded. :)

19. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Have to agree.

Although, the good old Launchdaddy is being bashed by many of the users, I quite like it.

20. mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

This actually has me fuming. I don’t ever recall activating it by mistake, and by purpose I use it all the time with image files, web archives, and many other things. Perhaps making it optional would make everyone happy, but Apple tends to keep options to a minimum.

21. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

2 finger "tap to zoom".

Minor for most people but for those of use with failing eyesight...

22. TonicAngel macrumors regular

Oh really? I guess I have a habit of dragging fingers on the trackpad on accident. :eek: Based on what you use it for, I could see how it would be useful. I tend to use quicklook for images, photoshop brushes etc. Maybe they'll have it as an option in the next update.

23. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Double tap Zoom in Safari. Awsome for me who surfs on my big screen TV, no more blurry ctrl+scroll zoom!

24. Kayteaface macrumors newbie

I have to say Launchpad. I find it much more easier than scrolling through the applications stack to find what I want.