Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbalone

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
I think the overall speed increase has been my favorite surprise. Everything has seemingly gotten faster the more I have used it. When I put it to sleep now it happens so fast that I thought something had to be wrong. So I woke it back up just to make sure everything was ok. Waking up is almost as fast. I have an early 2008 iMac with 4gigs of memory.

syyukikaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
- Mission Control: Fast way to access almost every window and App
- Fullscreen apps: especially iTunes, Mail and iCal
- Lauchpad: Save time to call any App
- Finder functions: Spotlight, CUT-PASTE files(cmd+c cmd+opt+v) and merge folder (instead of replace) on paste, finally!!!!! :D:D:D

DON´T LIKE
- Resume: Need a way to choose which App uses this function. Quicktime X at least, is annoying when you quit a video, open another one and the old video starts playing together.
- Contacts: I liked the new visual, but not the needs to change pages between contact group list and individual contact info.
- Reverse Natural Scrolling: Natural with Touchpad (iOS), not so with Trackpad. At least it is possible to disable.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I think the overall speed increase has been my favorite surprise. Everything has seemingly gotten faster the more I have used it. When I put it to sleep now it happens so fast that I thought something had to be wrong. So I woke it back up just to make sure everything was ok. Waking up is almost as fast. I have an early 2008 iMac with 4gigs of memory.

I also noticed the new quickness of the sleep. I hadn't noticed it until today when I closed my lid and the MacBook went to sleep immediately. It used to take around five seconds or so.

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
  • Mission Control - much better than Expose / Spaces
  • New Folder from Selection
  • Merge Folders [FINALLY!]
  • Improved remote connection support - can get full desktop login from remote while someone is logged in on the console
  • Local backups while Time Machine disk is unavailable
  • Threaded Mail

MrWaffles

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Asheville
- mission control
- full page safari / iTunes
- mail client that I will actually use
- running a lot cooler now for some reason / not much fan activity (although I have not played TF2 yet or any other games)

cons
- battery life seems to be way less. hopefully an update or solution will come about for that.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I love the way it takes a lot longer to bootup. I also love the way my fingers bend in un-natural ways to get some of these gestures going. Does Apple have Applecare for Arthritis? I also love having the scroll bars hidden.. that way I don't know exactly where I am in a document.. It's great not knowing if you're near the end or just starting.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I love the way it takes a lot longer to boot up.
I love it how people are still rebooting their Macs and haven't figure out yet you can just put it to sleep instead.

I also love the way my fingers bend in un-natural ways to get some of these gestures going.
I'd love to know what unnatural ways you're referring to, since all the new gestures are completely natural finger movements.

I also love having the scroll bars hidden.. that way I don't know exactly where I am in a document.. It's great not knowing if you're near the end or just starting.
I love it that some people rather bitch about it instead of setting General > Show scroll bars to "Always".

Grow up, dude.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It's definitely the new Finder for me. I love how the columns view can be segmented by the file type so each file type is clearly in its own distinctive partition in the column. Love that. I also like the squarish buttons over the ovals, just looks nicer altogether.

I've been waiting years for a date modified sort in column mode!!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I love the way it takes a lot longer to bootup. I also love the way my fingers bend in un-natural ways to get some of these gestures going. Does Apple have Applecare for Arthritis? I also love having the scroll bars hidden.. that way I don't know exactly where I am in a document.. It's great not knowing if you're near the end or just starting.

Upgrade your computer! My SSD boots in 15 seconds from the time I hit restart. 7 seconds from the apple logo!

LouiTheFish

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Yup

Things I enjoy:
iCal Redesign

Address Book redesign

Scroll bars

Removal of ridged tab in bottom right corner to resize (design thing, I know)

Versions - Super happy with how they integrated this into the design of
programs.

Hiding of the Library folder - For those of us who deal with helping friends that messed with their library folder frequently and inadvertently, it's now hidden in a few locations that's harder to get to. Almost like childproofing.

Things I CAN'T STAND:
'All My Files' in Finder - pointless, ridiculous, always digs up extra stuff I don't care about in the least.

"Arrange by" tab - I hate how things are separated by lines now. It drives me nuts and I'd much prefer to dig around like I used to either through icons or a list.

LaunchPad. - It's pointless. Seriously. I like having separation between my phone and my computer and having this LaunchPad deal is not only more time consuming but also disrupts normal computing workflow. I might sound old (I'm not. Still in college) but seriously, I prefer it the old way. Additionally, it's faster just to search it in Spotlight unless your computer is a dinosaur.

Mission Control - It's hideously ugly. Seriously, the entire interface looks like an afterthought. Why certain windows are larger than others in that view is entirely beyond me. I'll stick with expose.

Resume - Already turned it off. It's obnoxious to open Final Cut Pro, Logic, or even Safari and have massive projects reopen and eat up computing space. If I wanted them to reopen, I would have told them so. Which is why I turned it off.

IT'S SLOW. Dang is it slow. Programs hang, certain things just don't open because of compatibility issues, rendering audio or video is much slower than it used to be. I run a 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP w/ 4 GB RAM and a Pro tower at work. Glad I've still got the Pro tower running on Snow Leopard or I might have gone insane.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Things I enjoy:
iCal Redesign

Address Book redesign

Scroll bars

Removal of ridged tab in bottom right corner to resize (design thing, I know)

Versions - Super happy with how they integrated this into the design of
programs.

Hiding of the Library folder - For those of us who deal with helping friends that messed with their library folder frequently and inadvertently, it's now hidden in a few locations that's harder to get to. Almost like childproofing.

Things I CAN'T STAND:
'All My Files' in Finder - pointless, ridiculous, always digs up extra stuff I don't care about in the least.

"Arrange by" tab - I hate how things are separated by lines now. It drives me nuts and I'd much prefer to dig around like I used to either through icons or a list.

LaunchPad. - It's pointless. Seriously. I like having separation between my phone and my computer and having this LaunchPad deal is not only more time consuming but also disrupts normal computing workflow. I might sound old (I'm not. Still in college) but seriously, I prefer it the old way. Additionally, it's faster just to search it in Spotlight unless your computer is a dinosaur.

Mission Control - It's hideously ugly. Seriously, the entire interface looks like an afterthought. Why certain windows are larger than others in that view is entirely beyond me. I'll stick with expose.

Resume - Already turned it off. It's obnoxious to open Final Cut Pro, Logic, or even Safari and have massive projects reopen and eat up computing space. If I wanted them to reopen, I would have told them so. Which is why I turned it off.

IT'S SLOW. Dang is it slow. Programs hang, certain things just don't open because of compatibility issues, rendering audio or video is much slower than it used to be. I run a 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP w/ 4 GB RAM and a Pro tower at work. Glad I've still got the Pro tower running on Snow Leopard or I might have gone insane.

It is not by any means slow!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Really not trolling here. Really. But my favorite feature of Lion was the restore partition that let me restore Snow Leopard without having to dig through my stuff for the SL install discs.

It is not by any means slow!

Speak for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Something that hasn’t been given any mention, but was snuck in, is that Quick Look now right sizes the view of files when scanning through multiple files of differing sizes. Air Drop will come in really handy. Resizing windows from all sides is a good addition.

I've been unimpressed with the new QuickLook - for PDFs at least it now wants to display a whole page at once, which makes it illegible, and it only wants to scroll in whole pages. The old defaults write command for xray folder view in Finder QL no longer works either ... it was pretty even if nothing more.

Resizing from all sides is indeed good, possibly my favourite new feature in fact.

New iCal and Address Book looks are definitely at the other end of my spectrum, totally unnecessary and unfortunate ... -just- when we might finally have had a unified interface after 10 years :(.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Really not trolling here. Really. But my favorite feature of Lion was the restore partition that let me restore Snow Leopard without having to dig through my stuff for the SL install discs.

Yes that is indeed a totally awesome feature. And it only costs 650MB as well! I wonder if they will even include restore media with new machines now - for iLife I guess, although if they just started bundling iPhoto, I for one would be fine without the rest :).

It is a little ironic though, they made a big fuss about reducing the size of the OS on the drive with SL, and then for Lion they put a recovery partition and then don't give us the option we've always had to NOT install languages, printer drivers, etc. And then one of the touted features they leave us to download - the voices ... can't work out where they're aiming on that!

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
All of the above is great but my favorite would have to be two finger left-right swipe for Page Forward and Back.
Really good in Safari, absolutely killer in xCode.
Have see if this works in older non-apple app yet I really hope so.

Also like xCode in full screen treats the organizer window as another full screen app. Three finger swipe between Code and Full Docs.

Edit: should have added new Mail thread display.
Being involved with many on going convo's that tend to happen while I'm asleep this is really good for catching up.

Last edited:

biggy52

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
Tanzania (East Africa)
There is 1 feature that's not been discussed here, but its awesome if you use ADSL router and then connect to Airport Extreme. Earlier whenever i got disconnected from my ADSL router, i had to reboot AE for it to reconnect or at times wait for 15-20min to reconnect my PPPoE (although i had it set on Always on). Now next to my WiFi connection on the menu bar, i connect press Connect from the Menu bar!

I dont like 1 feature, which if someone can help me, i have set my iMac to turn of monitor after 1 minute of idle, now everytime the screen goes off , when i come back, i have to enter my password, i want to disable this, is it possible.

Thanks

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Upgrade your computer! My SSD boots in 15 seconds from the time I hit restart. 7 seconds from the apple logo!

My Snow Leopard boots in 27 seconds. Lion is booting in 50 seconds. By no means slow, but SLOWER. I know I can get Lion to act much in the way snow leopard was but the question is WHY?

Why upgrade to an OS to get it back to functioning like the old OS? If I were buying a new Mac I would have no choice. Perhaps a couple more revisions until all these little quirks get ironed out and I might upgrade back.

For now, my time machine backup got me back to Snow Leopard in about a half hour :)

MerchantMilan

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
In addition to all the main ones (mission control etc) three finger double tap on a word to bring up dictionary.

Wow, I didn't even know this. So cool!

I love Mission Control/Spaces. I love having Windows 7 fullscreen in its own space using VMWare. The four finger swipe works perfect while in Windows to get back to OSX.

Getting used to Launchpad too and loving it.

Last edited:

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Add me to the people liking LaunchPad - this actually reminds me of CategoriesSB for iPad and essentially how I feel Apple should have handled Folders on the iPad instead of what we currently have. It's more convenient seeing all of my apps clearly as opposed to going through a list of files.

I am also finding the novelty of MissionControl nice - as I never really used Expose/Spaces/whatever it was called previously. Having iTunes Visualization running on one screen is cute while I have something else on the other is nice, and I might actually use it for actual work - having Logic Pro run fullscreen on one desktop while having Chrome and iTunes open in another when I need to switch and take a quick break from my work.

Having a dedicated screen for widgets is another novel feature I like, but until I find myself some useful widgets, I don't see myself using it as often.

Also, I'm probably one of the few who likes natural scrolling and have become used to it in a short amount of time. Only problem I have with it is that it gets kind of messy when the page warrants horizontal scrolling, so while I'm scrolling down it also scrolls to the right which gets annoying when reading a messageboard like this one. Anyone have any work arounds for this other than turing off natural scrolling?

Other than that, I find myself liking Lion a lot more than I thought I would.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.