YOUR MacBook, which one ....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jul 2, 2009.

?

Which Mac are you?

1. Macbook Pro 13"

57 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Macbook Pro 15"

53 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. Macbook Pro 17"

21 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Macbook Air

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Let's assume the price was all the same or not a factor .... which MacBook would you choose and why?

13" MacBook Pro
    15" MacBook Pro
    17" MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air

Attached Files:

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

If I were getting it for free I'd get the 17, sell it, buy a 15 and pocket the profit.

I chose MBP 15 tho.

3. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Ordered a 15-inch MBP :) As much as I loved the 17-inch MBP - it was just a little to cumbersome.

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I ordered the MacBook Pro 13" on Monday, so I don't have it yet. But I got a little extra on it, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. I chose this one mainly because the 15" was too expensive for me, and I wanted a laptop with a smaller footprint than my current laptop, which is 15".

5. dawnraid macrumors regular

6. ray648 macrumors regular

Assuming that I don't own any of them, I would go for the air.

If I was offered the choice today I would go for the 17" (I already have an air) as a desktop replacement for my iMac, pair it up with the 24" led cinema display for home use, but portable for longer trips/holidays/etc.

7. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

nothing beats the sexyness of a true HD 17" 1920x1200 screen period.

8. Koerfgen macrumors newbie

I've been through that choice a month ago...

I've been through exactly that choice a month ago and in the end it turned out that price was not even the deciding factor.

I travel frequently due to my job and a 13" would be an ideal traveling partner due to size and weight.
    But once I sit in my hotel room and want to access the Internet or watch a movie (or want to use my MacBook as a desktop replacement at home) I would want a 17" MacBook.
    In essence 13" laptops make poor desktop replacements; 17" laptops are too bulky to lug around.

I guess you know what's coming:
    Overall the 15" MacBook is the "one-fits-all" solution for me.
    Small enough to fit comfortably in a carry-on bag on a flight, big enough to qualify as a serious desktop replacement and allow watching movies without a microscope.

From what I gather around, most IT departments seem to be favoring 13" laptops for their road warriors, but their decision process is probably not much influenced by how suitable a laptop is for watching movies.

Kurt

9. robivy64 macrumors member

I chose (and purchased) the 13" Macbook Pro. I prefer the compact size and ease of portability with the 13" model. I'm not a heavy computer user, so it fits my needs perfectly.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I voted for (and in real life opted for) the 15" MBP. Budget was a concern but overall, I felt the then 2.53 MBP was the best bang for the buck. That model had more L2 cache, vram, 4gig of ram, larger HD for a modest price increase.

I chose the 15" model over the 13" MB because of the superior display panel at the time, and the dual GPU.

I felt that the 17" model was too large and unwieldy. It consumes too much space to use it on an airplane, it eats up desk space and when I have it at home I have the laptop hooked up to an external monitor there by mitigating the biggest feature of the model - the screen size. You're paying a premium just for the large display (and now the matte display option as well).

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... I technically have all three sizes.
    So I don't wanna buy yet another Core2Duo. :p

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'd like a 13" MBP when they get mobile quad CPU's and dual GPU's... for now my 2009 whitebook will be GTG :D

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

13" for portability, which is what I bought.

Then when I get home I can hook it up to the LED display. :D

15. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I went with a 13" and I don't regret my decision one bit(and this is coming from a previous 15" MBP user)

I'm not interested in watching movies on it - I have a 22" Samsung TV/Monitor for that. I do some web design, some graphic design, but mostly just internet, surfing and general use.

If money were not an object, I'd still buy this, I seriously like to portability and compactness. I'd just put a 256GB SSD in it with 8GB of RAM and I would be more than content with it.

16. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

As much as I do enjoy my late 2008 15" macbook pro, I really do miss the portability of the 13". I might go as far as selling and replacing for the new 13". It really is the perfect size for traveling in rather tight situations.

17. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I went from a 13" blackbook to a 15" Penryn MBP, only because there was no 13" at the time. I missed the form factor greatly, and love the new unibody solid-ness. As soon as the 13" mbp was announced, I bought one, sold my 15" MBP, and totally love it. It is exactly what I was waiting for.

18. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

For the balance of portability / power / expandability / screen size I choose the 15" - I know its the same machine that I own, but its the mac that works best for me.

2nd choice would be an Air but then I would need a Mac Pro at home

:rolleyes::apple:

19. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I'm liking the 13" MaccBook Pro. I'm a fan of the size, because I don't use it for too much, but it's so easy to take around campus with me.

If I need more power, I opt for a desktop. I like portability in a notebook.

20. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

15". Plenty of power without the extra bulk of the 17" or the minimal screen real estate of the 13".

21. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

If they cost the same, I would get exactly what I got a 15" 3.06Ghz, but I would have gotten the 256GB SSD. Its basically the same as the high end 17" except for 1 hour of battery life and the ExpressCard slot, but a lot more portable.

22. joro macrumors 68020

joro

The 15” because I have loved mine and I don’t need a 17” screen. :cool:

23. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Looking at the poll the new 13" MacBook Pro sure seems to be a success since it was introduced a few weeks ago ...

24. tripletaker macrumors member

I know this is the MBP forum but... what about the white MB?

Although I have the 13" MBP.

25. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I think the White macbook is an impressive machine, but I can't help but think of it as sort of a gateway drug. The $999 gets you in the store, and for an extra $200 Apple gets you to walk out with a slightly faster machine, with all the aesthetics of the pro (unibody, sd slot, backlit keyboard, led display, trackpad), etc.