Your perfect 2012 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by falcor87, Mar 21, 2011.

1. falcor87 macrumors newbie

Well I finally decided to return my 2011 mbp. Nothing against the computer as it was absolutely amazing for the time I had it. But the thing I need right now is a cheap portable machine to get me through my last year of school next year. The 2011 wasn't enough of an update to warrant rash bad decision making lol.

So now I'm banking on next year's to really do it for me :)

My perfect 2012 MBP:

Matte black! I know the aluminum looks great all natural but I've always been a sucker for matte black :) I don't want to hold my breath but if I'm dreaming... (Also if I do get my way I would like to see a setting to turn off the apple lid light)

Make that beautiful perfect trackpad we love a MONSTER. Yes I would love to see that thing get as big as possible without interfering with our palm positions too much. My thought is to continue the depression of the keyboard area to envelop the trackpad as well, this way if it was oversized there would be a way to feel if your palms were getting dangerously close.

The keys need a little curve in them, not too much, jusssst enough. (Really love the softer feel of the 2011 keys btw).

Really like the downward sloping look of the MBA but find it a little to slim, tends to look flimsy. I say take that but make sure the front edge is still at least half the thickness of the current pro. Keep the very front bottom on the ground, I think that little slope up to a point on the MBA is what really makes the machine look to weak. Going too far past extremely thin is a waste (Example: Iphone 4 is perfect, devilishly thin while looking and feeling as solid as a rock.. But the ipad 2 goes thinner and I think it comes off as flimsy and ugly).

I've exhausted my thoughts on the looks, the mbp is such a fine looking machine ideas to improve it hard to come up with. As far as internals I am less concerned, on one hand it is hard to say what will be the best next year and on the other I'm sure apple will do an okay job keeping up. A few things..

Opti bay should be optional, maybe swapping out for storage (I was excited about that rumor of a small ssd for the os) We are already at the point where the optibay is used very little and I believe it is apple's plan to do away with it in a few years lol.

hdmi out would be nice but I don't really see it happening with all the excitement over thunderbolt.. though really it would be nice have separate display and I/O ports unless multiple thunderbolt ports become the standard for displays over the next year (tv's too?).

Anyway I'm getting tired and can't really think of more. Tell me what you think of my ideas and tell me all of yours!! I'll add to this if something comes to me.

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

-Minor upgrades to early 2011/late 2011 to not make me feel bad about having an early 2011 instead :D

But in all seriousness:
    -Black aluminium. I think it would look very slick to have an all black MBP
    -Non-HR anti-glare display option, similar to pre-Unibody. I don't recall having to pay extra for my early 2008's anti-glare. I also hate how I keep smudging the display trim right where the iSight/Facetime HD cam is, due to opening my MBP
    -Blu-ray Superdrive (highly unlikely, since Apple/Steve Jobs doesn't seem to give a **** about Blu-ray)
    -Dedicated SSD for OS X. I liked the idea of having a sort of dual hard drive setup, a regular HD for your files and an SSD for the system

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Btw, the Apple logo is lit by the screen's backlight, so unless they gave it a separate light, there wouldn't be a way to turn it off.

3. nec207 macrumors 6502

The next new Mackbook pro 2012 ( if I could make it my self )

I want 1TB hard-drive , RAM 8 GB , i8 a 7 core CPU 3 times better than i5 and i7 , video card 3 video cards in one 3 times better !!

And get blu ray recorder and SSD !!

Well you all know this will not happen may be 5 years out from now to bad.

Has for the trackpad I thought it was good?

That do to shiny screen it looks nice but you can get a glare.

4. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Bump the processor speeds significantly
    Bump the base hds
    1 or 2 more ports, and get rid of usb 2.0 ports.
    SATA iii in opt bay please...

Rest doesnt matter, will buy all upgrades outside apple.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Mac Pro in the body of a MBA with a retina display.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

7. hystery macrumors member

1. Liquidmetal
    2. Hi-Resolution for 13"
    3. Discontinuance of SuperDrive Black Hole
    4. Instead ExpressCard Slot for 13"
    5. Materialization of External GraphicsCard (feat. Thunderbolt/ExpressCard)
    6. Harder Better Lighter Slimmer Body

Am I dreaming too much...

8. The ORly owl macrumors newbie

Hi-Res screen for the 13" + Nvidia/ATI chipset. No more, no less.

9. sivosam macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

One with facetime camera that has quality of RED EPIC.

10. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Ivy Bridge processor with a bump in speed. Matte black, liquid metal body. 256 GB SSD with a 750 GB secondary internal drive. 8 GB RAM. Slight video card upgrade. Anti glare screen in standard resolution. 4 Thunderbolt ports compatible with USB. Same price points as today.

11. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

12. hellric macrumors member

My all new 2011 MBP 2.2 hires 512 SSD is my dream machine and I really miss nothing.

If I can dream I'd love to see the trackpad become a touch screen :)

13. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Redesign
    USB 3.0
    Blu-ray
    None of that IIG crap, at least not this generation's IIG.

15. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping for a 13" quad-core Ivy Bridge, with USB 3.0 ports (let's hope USB3 is supported by Ivy Bridge) and Blu-Ray (I'm dreaming, but I'd like to see a Blu-Ray player).

Edit: Forgot to mention I'd want Lion pre-installed (unless Lion gets delayed horribly, this is bound to happen).

A quad-core Ivy Bridge would be a worthwhile upgrade from my 07 MacBook.

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Since i want the 13 i will focus on that:

Ivy bridge
    CPU speed bump
    blade SSD standard like MBA
    Liquid metal shell
    shell closer to MBA in shape
    MBA screen resolution
    Lion w/ trim support (now almost a sure thing)
    6 Gbps SATA
    No super drive
    dedicated GPU

17. FlashbackPortra macrumors newbie

I have messed up my factory settings for Sound on MBP OX 10.6. Not sure how but I seem to of lost my Internal output speaker option. And can only hear sound when I plug in computer speakers. :confused: Any suggestions other than a reformat, to restore?

Muchas Gracias

18. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Kind of a hijack (you might want to start a new thread?), but is there a red light in your headphone jack? If so, searching the forums for something like "No sound out of MacBook speakers & red LED in Headphone jack" might help.

19. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

Here is my dream Macbook Pro:

15" Semi-glossy or a new better quality Anti-glare high resolution perfected OLED screen.

Blu ray burner/drive.

A weight of approximate 5lbs.

An Ivy Quad Processor running at a minimum 20% faster than Sandy.

A 1GB Nvidia or Amd graphics card (preferably Nvidia).

A 15 hour battery life.

A 1TB solid state drive.

Would love liquid metal similar to my Sandisk titanium flash drive I have had for 7 years now. :)

20. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Couldn't you just get a usb drive? If you were to have something native you would be tied to that carrier

I hear a lot of people here saying blu-ray but I don't think I want it on a portable anymore. I'm rarely using my optical drive. I'd rather replace it out with an SSD to boot from and keep programs on and keep the hard drive for the files

21. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I want the POWER of Jesus in my MacBook Pro so when I open it it answers prayers and cures diseases.

What's that? You don't like this post? Wha? *Opens 2012 MBP*

22. brentsg macrumors 68040

13"

No optical drive

Gigabit Ethernet port

Hi-res screen with optional anti-glare

Quad core Ivy Bridge CPU

No dedicated GPU

Form factor between the current MBP and Air

Air-like SSD

23. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

17" Macbook Pro for real mobile power users.

- dual SSD or HDD with option to remove and seal up the optical slot
    - two FW800 ports
    - two USB 3.0
    - one eSATA port
    - matte standard
    - 8GB RAM standard or option for NO Apple RAM as CTO
    - external BRD/DVD burner $499 (Apple tax)
    - faster cpu of course . . . 2.4GHz quad core
    - cheaper price . . . I know I am just dreaming

These are a stretch for now. The current model is right where I'd need it to be for me to drop the $3200 for one. Save for the extra I/O ports, there's nothing more I'd actually need.