Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyrokRolles

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
^^^ Actually, I think Sony's got the best Keyboard in the game. To each his own though. ^^^

and my dream 2012 machine: (This would be base model)

17" High definition 3d Screen (Like on the current Alienware machine for less than $2000!!!)with redesigned body and keyboard with number pad. There is way too much empty space on the current 17", and a number pad is vital for controlling pro tools and logic.

256 gb SSD Drive, with a 512gb option only costing $200 more
8gb standard, upgradeable to 16gb for $400 more
1.5gb Video Card I dont give a **** what kind they all rock
2 Thunderbolt Ports
2 Firewire Ports
2 Usb 3.0 Ports
3d Blue Ray Drive / dvd rw blah blah

never gonna happen but to be honest it should. Everything i just listed is completely feasible... the 6 core processor is the only thing that is a stretch

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
Ivy Bridge
USB 3.0
An improved display panel - RGB-LED (possible, but drains more battery so unlikely) or OLED (total fantasy) screen
Blade SSD for OS

Last edited:

kermit11234

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
15"

1. darker finish with liquid metal case, even thinner(no tapering like mba)

2. ivy bridge quad core processors

3. similar pricing

4. double resolution display

5. larger trackpad

6. no optical drive and ethernet(you can get an adapter for that)

7. optional 3d display

8. keys closer together

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
My perfect Macbook Pro will be one that I can't fry my bacon and eggs on and with a graphics card that isn't low to mid range.

davidwillems13

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Ideal 13 inch

Ideal 13 inch 2012 macbook pro
Internals
SSD/flash either 256 or 512 gig standard (instant on like macbook air (Its not fair the 'ultraportable' has it but the super fast power one doesn't)
A proper graphics card like the larger sizes (no more discriminating on the poor 13 inch)
Higher resolution display probably 1440 by 900
2 USB 3.0 ports
Quad core processor (again stop the size discrimination) probably Ivy bridge by the time it comes out
Ram 8 gig standard
12 hours of battery life (or actually being able to achieve anywhere near the 10 it boasts in day to day tasks)
Super drive (none of that blu-ray crap why do you need that high quality movies to watch on a small screen) ALSO it would be understandable to remove the superdrive as long as a external USB one came standard to save room inside or possible make the design thiner.

Design

I think it needs to be about 0.5cm thiner to make it feel truly portable but I would much rather the flash/SSD storage over the size change
Liquidmetal? no one even really knows anything about this new metal or even if Apple will use it at all, it would be nice having the pro a darker colour that feels more sturdy but if anyone has any info on Liquidmetal please inform me about it I would be interested to know what people know about it..

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
1. Liquidmetal structure
2. OLED 3D 2400x1600 for 13"
3. Hexacore Ivy Bridge
4. Dual Intel SSD
5. powerful discrete efficient gpu enough for battlefield 3 @ 2400x1600 @60 fps
6. 16GB ram
7. OLED blacklit keyboard
8. 24 hour battery life minimum while gaming
9. slightly slimmer and a lot lighter
10. cost = 1 share of AAPL
11. 10 year applecare standard transferrable to 3 owners.

One day I will look back at these specs are say, why did I aim so low? :cool:

Last edited:

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
1. Liquidmetal structure
2. OLED 3D 2400x1600 for 13"
3. Hexacore Ivy Bridge
4. Dual Intel SSD
5. powerful discrete efficient gpu enough for battlefield 3 @ 2400x1600 @60 fps
6. 16GB ram
7. OLED blacklit keyboard
8. 24 hour battery life minimum while gaming
9. slightly slimmer and a lot lighter
10. $999
11. 5 year applecare standard

One day I will look back at these specs are say, why did I aim so low? :cool:

Hemm.. 3 years maybe? :D Nice dream machine though.. (and price+applecare for that matter)..

All I wanted is a good mid-range GPUs.. 2012 GPUs that is, not todays.. But alas, I don't think apple would do that, coz GPUs is a big reason that drive people to buy 15" MBP... :(

They also equip MBA with lesser processor so ppl would debate to buy 13" MBP-which arguably have lesser GPUs- or MBA

Sigh.. I got to hand it to apple, they spec their machine 'perfectly' to drive sales..

sdneidich

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
NC, USA
Maintain current formfactor, but replace the optical drive with 2 things: More logic board space for the inclusion of a discrete graphics card, and more storage. There should be enough space over there for a SATA and a logic board expansion.

All that is for 13 inch.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
ivy bridge gpu hopefully will be more powerful....

I'm sure it will be more powerful compared to the current ones, but how would it fare to next gen gpus? does anyone have info on this?

I'm planning to replace my old 2,1 macbook white in 2012.. so hopefully it'd be 'the one'..

Besides the gfx card, I also hope it would have somekind of SSD drive on it for the OS as standard so I don't have to upgrade..

From the vendors, I hope there'd be more thunderbolt compatible devices in 2012..

leetlamer

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Liquidmetal redesign
No optical drive + More battery
22nm Ivy Bridge CPU
28nm ATI GPU
USB 3.0 (on both sides of computer)
8GB RAM
40GB SSD Standard for OS and Apps
Secondary SSD or HDD

Kalach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
- Redesign
- 1920x1080 resolution
- SSD as standard
- 8-16 GB memory
- Ivy bridge processor
- Better cooling system

:D

davidwillems13

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
I know this is the wrong thread but I was just wondering why the screen on the macbook pro is so much thicker than the screen on the macbook air? and even with its thiner design the macbook air screen still manages to have a higher resolution than the 13 inch pro, why is the pro one so thick compared to the air?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I basically want thicker version of the 13" MBA so that at least an Intel i5 processor can be used, and a bigger battery can fit inside.

- CPU should be at least a 2 GHz i5.

- matte screen with 1650 x 1080 screen resolution, wider colour gamut, S-IPS panel.
- make it thicker than the current 13" MBA so that a larger battery, and faster CPU, can fit inside.

- 256 GB SSD.
- 8 GB of RAM.

- 3x USB 3.0, one of them being on the right side of the laptop.
- 2-in-1 card slot (reads both SD, and CompactFlash/CFast).

I suppose if it was assumed that I have another computer already, I'd want an 11" MBA with an i5 2 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 256 GB SSD. I wouldn't care if it had to be slightly thicker to be achievable.

jondob

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
Well I finally decided to return my 2011 mbp. Nothing against the computer as it was absolutely amazing for the time I had it. But the thing I need right now is a cheap portable machine to get me through my last year of school next year. The 2011 wasn't enough of an update to warrant rash bad decision making lol.

So now I'm banking on next year's to really do it for me :)

My perfect 2012 MBP:

Matte black! I know the aluminum looks great all natural but I've always been a sucker for matte black :) I don't want to hold my breath but if I'm dreaming... (Also if I do get my way I would like to see a setting to turn off the apple lid light)

Make that beautiful perfect trackpad we love a MONSTER. Yes I would love to see that thing get as big as possible without interfering with our palm positions too much. My thought is to continue the depression of the keyboard area to envelop the trackpad as well, this way if it was oversized there would be a way to feel if your palms were getting dangerously close.

The keys need a little curve in them, not too much, jusssst enough. (Really love the softer feel of the 2011 keys btw).

Really like the downward sloping look of the MBA but find it a little to slim, tends to look flimsy. I say take that but make sure the front edge is still at least half the thickness of the current pro. Keep the very front bottom on the ground, I think that little slope up to a point on the MBA is what really makes the machine look to weak. Going too far past extremely thin is a waste (Example: Iphone 4 is perfect, devilishly thin while looking and feeling as solid as a rock.. But the ipad 2 goes thinner and I think it comes off as flimsy and ugly).

I've exhausted my thoughts on the looks, the mbp is such a fine looking machine ideas to improve it hard to come up with. As far as internals I am less concerned, on one hand it is hard to say what will be the best next year and on the other I'm sure apple will do an okay job keeping up. A few things..

Opti bay should be optional, maybe swapping out for storage (I was excited about that rumor of a small ssd for the os) We are already at the point where the optibay is used very little and I believe it is apple's plan to do away with it in a few years lol.

hdmi out would be nice but I don't really see it happening with all the excitement over thunderbolt.. though really it would be nice have separate display and I/O ports unless multiple thunderbolt ports become the standard for displays over the next year (tv's too?).

Anyway I'm getting tired and can't really think of more. Tell me what you think of my ideas and tell me all of yours!! I'll add to this if something comes to me.

Why would it matter to turn off the apple light..... you never see it when you're using the computer.. stupid....

jondob

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
- Redesign
- 1920x1080 resolution
- SSD as standard
- 8-16 GB memory
- Ivy bridge processor
- Better cooling system

averge users wont even use 8gb of ram to its full potential so 16gb is out of the question..

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
I don't really care what the 2012 MBP brings - as I am now very happy with current 2011 model - all I want are some Thunderbolt hard drive/ssd peripherals to hit the market. If the 2012 MBP is a complete redesign I'll wait till at least a revB or revC before purchasing - not into being an Apple Hardware Beta Tester, I like to purchase at the stage when the "design" is tried and tested. I think I'll be waiting till 2013 but I'm sure my current MBP will hold me over till then...

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Does Apple Consider Bent Tabs on a Late-2008 MBP's ...

... battery / HD compartment to be a warranty-voidable situation?

I can get the tabs under where they are supposed to go, and then have the latch pull the top part down. But the tabs on the outer edge pop the edge up leaving the edge wide open.

I tried using a pliers to bend the tabs a bit to hold everything in place to no avail. Would Apple replace the cover under warranty or deny it?

ranviper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Matte Black
15" 1080p anti-glare
750GB Scorpio Black
core i7 quad Ivy Bridge
High Def Graphics Card, preferably NVIDIA, don't really care as long as its an upgrade.
Blu-Ray drive.
USB 3.0
Thunderbolt (accessories)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.