YouTube for iOS Gains New Dark Mode

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube is adding a new dark theme to its iOS app, which is rolling out to iOS users starting today, reports The Verge.

The new theme, once available, can be activated by tapping on your account icon, selecting settings, and choosing "dark theme" to turn it on. Dark theme will invert many of the colors of the YouTube AI, replacing the traditional white background with a black background.

[​IMG]
    Image via Redditor amievengabereal

YouTube introduced a hidden dark mode feature for the desktop starting last year, and since then, the feature has been one of the most requested for its mobile apps.

The dark theme for mobile devices has been in testing for the last few months and it has been previously available to a small number of YouTube users.

You may not see the new dark theme available as an option right away, but it should be rolling out to all iOS users over the course of the day. YouTube also says a dark mode is coming to Android in the near future.

YouTube is a free download for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Gains New Dark Mode

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Nice addition.

Thread will be full of complaints about how iOS itself doesn't have a dark mode.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Still can't play videos picture-in-picture or background, but hey, dark mode guys!

4. Iconoclassst macrumors newbie

Iconoclassst

5. kplayaja macrumors newbie

Ayyyyyeeee!!! There you go baby! Been waiting on this for a hot minute! WHOOAAAAA!!!!

6. Iconoclassst macrumors newbie

Iconoclassst

Ya have to pay for YouTube Red for that feature. Lame!

7. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

It’s a valid gripe IMO. But yeah let’s not overdo it folks.

8. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Nice. All apps should have a dark mode.

What baffles me is Apple changed their wallet app from black to white. I don't know why they would consciously do this after the iPhone X release.

9. csurfr macrumors 68000

Ineteresting that the dark mode feature comes to iOS before Android. I would not have expected that.

10. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Finally. Been waiting for this since last year.

11. BulkSlash macrumors member

BulkSlash

While this is a nice addition, it's still missing essential features like background playback and picture-in-picture. Not to mention their custom video player doesn't include an on-screen volume control (what's so wrong with the stock player available to all iOS apps, Google?) and the comments display is a waste of time.

If I ever get any spare time I'm going to write my own custom YouTube app and put it on GitHub so anyone can build and install it rather than something that Google can have disappeared from the App Store.

12. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

It's not even true black though, which would especially be handy on the iPhone X with its OLED panel! :(

13. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

They want to sell you Youtube Red for background playback.

14. adamjackson, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

adamjackson macrumors 65816

...while you're at it, can YouTube stop recommending Doug Demuro and Joe Rogen to me? I visit Youtube, click subscriptions and watch everything there. I don't go to trending or watch recommend videos and I keep auto play turned off. I've never watched a video from either of these guys but YouTube is convinced I want to.

I honestly wish they'd let me block creators I'll never watch. I'd have a huge block list by now including fine brothers and every click bait Vlogger out there making videos for teenagers.

Edit: Just opted out of everything recommended...let's see if that works:

[​IMG]

I only use YouTube on my AppleTV and nowhere else and AppleTV doesn't offer that opt out X button next to recommended content. Maybe it does on iOS? IDK.

Edit 2: OMG I think it worked? Nothing recommended

[​IMG]

Edit3: Nope, just went to my AppleTV. it's recommending Ben Shapiro and Logan Paul . two topics I don't care about. Can i customize AppleTV YouTube to default on my subscriptions page? I don't want to see any of these jokers.

15. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

Thread will be full of complaints from users that don't understand this is how dark mode has to happen. 1 App at a time, with developer effort.

16. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

You still get a massive power savings though.

17. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Can it do it automatically based upon time of day/lighting conditions?

I have noticed that I don't end up using the dark modes that require manual invocation
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    I don't think even YT:Red has Picture in Picture outside the YT app though, does it?

I think they don't want anything that might steal your focus away from ADs, but again, I don't see why YT:Red can't get PiP since you're paying to remove the ADs w/ that service.

18. scottcampbell macrumors regular

Yours was the first negative post I read. =) Way to preempt it!

19. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Alright Apple, now it's your turn. iOS desperately needs this. Messages, Settings, Notes, all begging for a dark mode. Hell I'd like it in iTunes as well on the Mac.

20. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

This is really exciting for me, I always turn on dark mode for everything, I just like the darker backgrounds and makes a lot of apps look better to me.

21. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

I somehow must have been one of the lucky small group of users. I've had this feature for a couple of months now. Nice to see it finally rolling out to everyone.

22. audiophilosophy macrumors newbie

iTunes desperately needs a dark mode, particularly with the old spreadsheet style view.

23. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

I’m glad this isn’t another feature behind the “YouTube Red” paywall.

24. eagleglen, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I’ve been reloading the app since I saw this on Twitter earlier this morning. Just now became available for me. Looks nice, but wish it was a true black background rather than dark gray. Oh well.

25. thewebb macrumors regular

thewebb