YouTube for iOS Gains New Dark Mode

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2018.

1. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

2. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

just showed up for me; when I launched the app, it prompted me to try dark mode

3. jdillings macrumors 68000

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Try Closing out the application and then re-launch it, it should give you an option to try dark mode.

5. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Not really. The biggest gain in battery/power savings with OLED's is when the panel can disable as many pixels as possible. When displaying dark grey all pixels has to be lit. They don't need to be as bright as they have to do when white, but they still have to be turned on and therefore you loose out on the biggest potential in terms of power savings.

6. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I don’t even see the update.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Try deleting the application and reinstall it that way. Or, close the application, disable your Wi-Fi, reenable your Wi-Fi and check for the update under the App Store.

8. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Its locked behind a paywall.. You need to have YouTube RED in order to gain access, not only do you need to pay for YouTube RED but you need to be within Australia, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand or The United States for the features to be available. If you are a subscriber to YouTube RED and have a IP from outside any of these five regions background playback, downloads and picture-in-picture will automatically be disabled. And you might even get ads.

Its beyond stupid. Why limit essential features like background playback to a paid service that is only available in such a small amount of countries? Why is it this limited to begin with? How hard can it be to offer YouTube RED, which only gives you ad-free YouTube and free access to YouTube Originals? Its not like they need to make deals with industry as we are talking self-hosted content..

I had to use VyprVPN in order to gain access to YouTube RED and I have to have VyprVPN running on my iPhone in order for background playback to actually work...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    It's not a update to the app. Its just a back-end feature so force closing the app should do it unless you are on a very old version of the app.

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m at the latest version, mine just updated last a few days ago.

Is it in settings? I’m st work so I have not really played around yet with it.

10. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

There's no "update" - Youtube is flipping the switch for the feature in the update that had already been released (last week I believe). Just force quit your app, and relaunch. It popped up a notification for me upon relaunching the app.

11. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

That's not true. Shades of black/gray use significantly less power than white and other colors.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

lol ok good, for a minute I thought my phone was defective... I was like wait a minute this is dark grey not black...

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Sure you can. You just have to be a YouTube Red subscriber in order to do those things plus you get no ads. Ad-free YouTube is the only thing that keeps me from switching to Apple Music. For $10/month, I get Google Play Music streaming plus no ads on YouTube.

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

A little surprised they’re not charging for this “feature” like they do to listen to videos in the background.

15. lpolarityl macrumors 6502

lpolarityl

I've had the Dark Mode feature on and off as they were testing it over the last couple months. It's nice they released it to all, its awesome.

16. Altis macrumors 68030

I use a browser plugin that can change the background/text color of most websites. I leave it enabled for Macrumors all the time.

I have no idea why UI designers think everyone wants to stare into eye-bleeding white all the time.

Has anyone at Apple ever even used iMessage in the dark?

17. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

It is [in settings], and on the first launch when it's available, it will also have a small notification at the bottom of the screen.

Since I did not update and went from it not present to available, I'm assuming it was in the code already and/or they're using some kind of dynamic UI components and layout/styling, so they were able to "push" the change without deploying an entire new package through the App Store.

18. thewebb macrumors regular

thewebb

I want that! What's the plugin called?

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Night mode works well in iBooks at night. Outside of that, I really don't care about dark mode. I would like it better if YouTube supported 4K on my iMac.

20. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I just installed Freestyler, a Safari browser extension, next install a theme, you can see how my Macrumors forum site looks like down below.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 21.53.26.png

21. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

It’s as if their other non-OLED devices are more popular.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m not really a fan of this dark mode. I turned it back to the classic version.

23. Altis macrumors 68030

The one I use is for Chrome/Chromium/Vivaldi and is called "Change Colors".

Now I have no idea why, but for the longest time it hasn't shown up when you search for it in the Google Chrome store. I kept the link though after finding it again:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...gn?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

I set mine so that the background is black, text is white, links are red/dark red.

24. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Its not that easy as YouTube Red is not available for 90% of the world..

25. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Fair point. I didn't realize that YouTube Red had such limited availability:

Australia
    Korea
    Mexico
    New Zealand
    The United States