Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'd like 3G on the iPhone as much as the next guy, but I happen to live in a 3G zone.

Isn't the bigger issue with 3G on the iphone the 3G network coverage more so than the phone itself? I fully expect that my iPhone v2 that I get in 2 years will have 3G and that 3G coverage will actually make it worthwile.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Anyway.....

I'm pretty sure Apple chose a YouTube widget because the site is so darn popular (for better or for worse). I will admit that they didn't take the "high road" by doing this but they do have shareholders to keep happy 'ya know.

OK, truce. I apologize for any misinterpreted insult and I respect you, it's all in good fun (which is truly my perspective, sometimes online humor doesn't come off very well).

Yeah, I agree, marketing wise Apple made the smart decision with YouTube, so it is just my personal taste. I suppose I'm just a little bummed with all the things they could have done they chose Youtube, but eh, I'm not Steve Jobs lol.

zeppiecr

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
Originally Posted by wmealer View Post
I think people suggesting videoconferencing on the iPhone are overlooking one obvious point... the camera needs to be on the back side, so that like on any other digital camera, the screen can be used as a viewfinder. Videoconferencing just doesn't make sense unless Apple decides to alienate the still camera users just for the people who want video chat. Or of course they use a camera on both sides. As if...
Actually, that was exactly what I was suggesting

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/172972/

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
BTW your Bush analogy was quite good, except for one small flaw; recent history has shown us that Apple products tend to be pretty good, whereas presidents named Bush tend not to be.:D

lol Amen to that. And no, not high on myself, just disappointed in Apple a bit.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Wasn't there an Apple patent a while back that had a camera behind the lcd...or am I on LSD

You are not on LSD. I definitely recall this, though it seemed to morph into LCD displays that adjust brightness according to ambient light. At least that's how it was explained away with the new MacBooks at the time. Maybe that was a misinterpretation and what you are hallucinating is right.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn9059

Patent Application:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...22".PGNR.&OS=DN/20060007222&RS=DN/20060007222

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
OK, truce. I apologize for any misinterpreted insult and I respect you, it's all in good fun (which is truly my perspective, sometimes online humor doesn't come off very well).

Yeah, I agree, marketing wise Apple made the smart decision with YouTube, so it is just my personal taste. I suppose I'm just a little bummed with all the things they could have done they chose Youtube, but eh, I'm not Steve Jobs lol.
Done.....and if you ever find yourself in San Diego the skinny man will treat you to a burger and a beer! BTW.....if Apple had called me and asked me to choose the mysterious 12th widget I don't think YouTube would have been in my top 5. I do a lot of surfing (the real thing) so I would have preferred a San Diego surf report widget. Now *that* would be a cool looking icon. LOL

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
Yeah, but the camera is in every other sub pixel, right next to, not behind (like Surface), making like 6 subpixels per pixel. R G B out R G B in. Here.

If this were to be the case, that would indeed be the sickest sh*t of all time.:eek:

OTOH, they would need something to differentiate the iPhone from any new version of the iPod. A camera embedded in the screen would pretty much do it.:D

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Done.....and if you ever find yourself in San Diego the skinny man will treat you to a burger and a beer! BTW.....if Apple had called me and asked me to choose the mysterious 12th widget I don't think YouTube would have been in my top 5. I do a lot of surfing (the real thing) so I would have preferred a San Diego surf report widget. Now *that* would be a cool looking icon. LOL

I'll look you up, I have friends in San Diego (Hillcrest I think) I visit often, and a surfing widget would be awesome!

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason
If this were to be the case, that would indeed be the sickest sh*t of all time.:eek:

OTOH, they would need something to differentiate the iPhone from any new version of the iPod. A camera embedded in the screen would pretty much do it.:D

Chance of it happening: 1/10 or less.

But if Apple is putting that feature in, I'd say that the iPhone may be a guaranteed success.

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
This has been disscused almost since the beggining

Video conferencing does not make sense in the current hardware without an additional camera in the front.

I admit it would be nice if Apple had included the camera somehow hidden under the screen, and then release a software upgrade or better yet, just announce another hidden application before June 29 that will use it.

But so far, all this non-sense complains are just that, non-sense.

People are talking about secret-applications. Well, Apple never said anything about it (Leopard is another story). So they showed what the iPhone will include and now they are giving you more. What is the matter with that?

Also, for all those complainers about the iPhone not being a smart, does-it-all, business oriented device, I would say, yes, I agree. It is looking more and more like a phone, an ipod, an internet communicator device, ... wait a minute. :rolleyes:

People snort coke and drop X for fun. If everyone jumped off bridges would you assume it's "fun" because everyone's doing it? How about thinking for yourself for a change, and keeping the personal insults out of the dialog.

Look, I'm not going to argue over whether Youtube is a great site, people have various tastes (or lack thereof) than others. My point was that of all the features Apple could have put on the iPhone (and apparently on the :apple:TV), why YouTube? Cause it's "fun"? Why would Apple risk it's reputation on "fun"?

More over, everyone seems to have glossed over my point about iChat video conferencing (maybe cause it's a valid point?) and instead nitpicked my little comment about YouTube. IChat would have been perfect with video conferencing on the iPhone, as it would have also been a tie in for businesses to use the iPhone, allowing employee purchase of said device for practical purposes such as video conferencing via the iPhone on business travels, thereby bypassing the possible need for a laptop and equipment just for conferencing. Also, non-Apple users would be introduced to a program through the iPhone that would rival MSN Messenger and other online messenger utilities, possibly showing them how a chat program is done right and enticing them more over to the Apple side, just as iTunes did with the iPod. Think about it before you slam me, I have a point. With WiFi (and AT&T's future deployment of faster HSDPA networking) the bandwidth for video conferencing is there.

PS A lot of people voted for Bush, does that make them right? American Idol is talentless eye candy for the mindless masses and so is YouTube. :rolleyes:

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Chance of it happening: 1/10 or less.

But if Apple is putting that feature in, I'd say that the iPhone may be a guaranteed success.

It seems like lack of real estate would be the main reason to use a technique like this. So, it wouldn't be as helpful on a laptop, for instance. Small devices like the iPhone would really benefit from a dual function LCD surface.

Also, this is the highest PPI screen Apple has ever shipped. Much easier to slip in a few video sensors in a screen that dense, huh?

If it doesn't make this revision of the iPhone, you can count on it being in a future iPhone (presuming the technology works as well as the patent would lead you to think).

gmanrique

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
you got my vote

well said :)

How about reading your own 'freakin posts? You stated.....I think *you* made it quite personal with that statement. :rolleyes:

My *point*, once again, is W<insert "who" instead of "what">TF are you to judge what is tasteless and what is not and yeah....I find it 'kinda funny when guys like come to the boards with your self-important attitude laying down your lame smack. LOL

Do you think Apple just *might* do their homework when it comes to stuff like this or do you think they arbitrarily just add widgets that people could care less about? Check out the headline for this topic and you will notice
picture1oo3.jpg

Notice how there are substantially more "positives" than "negatives." :rolleyes:

Bottom line.....if YouTube is not your thing; I'm down with that and I actually respect that but *don't* come to the boards and say that everyone who thinks it's a good idea adding the YouTube widget is essentially an American Idol-watching idiot.

Capesh?

Now that you guys made out, forget about this.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I'll look you up, I have friends in San Diego (Hillcrest I think) I visit often, and a surfing widget would be awesome!
Outstanding! There are some great places to grab a burger and beer in Hillcrest!

BTW....I know this is way OT but maybe you can explain this to me. I've heard that 3G is much faster than EDGE. Why did Apple go with EDGE. Did they ave to go with EDGE because they chose at&t?

jacknv2

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Outstanding! There are some great places to grab a burger and beer in Hillcrest!

BTW....I know this is way OT but maybe you can explain this to me. I've heard that 3G is much faster than EDGE. Why did Apple go with EDGE. Did they ave to go with EDGE because they chose at&t?

are you kidding?

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006

From what I understand, a lot of people at Cingular/AT&T have asked the same question. 3G is a much faster web based connection that EDGE, and one of the major complaints with the iPhone was its lack of 3G. Maybe Jobs knew of the pending litigation against Samsung in the 3G chip market, who knows, but there is supposed rumor that the iPhone 2.0 will have 3G capabilities (assuming the civil suit is settled by then).

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
From what I understand, a lot of people at Cingular/AT&T have asked the same question. 3G is a much faster web based connection that EDGE, and one of the major complaints with the iPhone was its lack of 3G. Maybe Jobs knew of the pending litigation against Samsung in the 3G chip market, who knows, but there is supposed rumor that the iPhone 2.0 will have 3G capabilities (assuming the civil suit is settled by then).
Thanks for the clarification. I was always curious about that.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
People snort coke and drop X for fun. If everyone jumped off bridges would you assume it's "fun" because everyone's doing it? How about thinking for yourself for a change, and keeping the personal insults out of the dialog.

Look, I'm not going to argue over whether Youtube is a great site, people have various tastes (or lack thereof) than others. My point was that of all the features Apple could have put on the iPhone (and apparently on the :apple:TV), why YouTube? Cause it's "fun"? Why would Apple risk it's reputation on "fun"?

YouTube isn't just fun. Its everything. Its not like theres some kind of content blocker on there that only allows tasteless fun... You can find interesting, enlightening, tasteful, and educational content on YouTube. I think you are the one that needs to think "outside the box" as it were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.