Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MrTangent

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2003
I'll never understand why people subscribe to services instead of buying products. I suppose it's a matter of accepting whatever the neighbour does, because if people used their minds instead of looking at the neighbour, this youtube service would have got below a dozen subscribers, and the transition from products to services wouldn't have happened. It's sad, because the right to own things might have its days numbered, considering how easy has been to fool people.
I’ll tell you a story. From time immemorial (80’s) I purchased music. First on vinyl and audio tape, then segueing to CD in the 90’s. I have literally thousands of CDs and vinyl albums. I’ve spent tens of thousands on those albums.

But not everyone can afford that, and for a measly $10/month you can have almost the totality of recorded music at your fingertips.

I, myself, switched to Spotify because the sheer convenience (and not having to rip my entire collection, which would be daunting). And while there’s the odd outlier not available on Spotify from my collection, most “normal” music is available (I listen to a lot of noise/musique concrète/weird music).

Why would you spend tens of thousands on stuff when the cost of two starbuck coffees gets you it all?

UberTiger

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
I’ll tell you a story. From time immemorial (80’s) I purchased music. First on vinyl and audio tape, then segueing to CD in the 90’s. I have literally thousands of CDs and vinyl albums. I’ve spent tens of thousands on those albums.

But not everyone can afford that, and for a measly $10/month you can have almost the totality of recorded music at your fingertips.

I, myself, switched to Spotify because the sheer convenience (and not having to rip my entire collection, which would be daunting). And while there’s the odd outlier not available on Spotify from my collection, most “normal” music is available (I listen to a lot of noise/musique concrète/weird music).

Why would you spend tens of thousands on stuff when the cost of two starbuck coffees gets you it all?

God knows how many hours I spent ripping my CD collection, consolidating downloads and running de-duplication programs to clean my library over the years before the likes of Spotify.

All a total waste of time now IMO. Happy to pay for the convenience of having pretty much every song I could possibly want a few clicks away, wherever I am, and the ability to discover new similar music to my taste at the same time.

winxmac

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2021
Is there a Vanced equivalent on iOS? I haven’t had an iOS device since the iPhone 7. Curious about the progress or lack thereof iOS has made.
I think there is YouTube++ but you will have to jailbreak then install an IPA but I will not go through the trouble of that... I prefer to keep my iPhone with installs only from the Apple App Store but with android it is so easy it's just that I don't have android phone at the moment...

I am one of those who used to use the Vanced app to skip ads from videos [though it can't do anything with ads/sponsorships by the YouTube creators]...

But since I don't jailbreak my iPhone and I don't want to mess with the android TV so as to be able to skip ads, I then decided to subscribe to YouTube Premium initially to skip those ads and download the videos within the app...

I used to have Spotify Premium and Apple Music subscription but then I learned that if you do not have your account set to Japan, even if you can use a VPN to spoof your location as if you are in Japan, the music I listen to are mostly Japanese, you still have limited access to Japanese library...

I also do not have a payment method that can be used in Japan and the only time you can change the country is once you are on a free account or the subscription has expired... This is what I know about Spotify but not sure about Apple Music...

I recently found the same [limited Japanese library] with YouTube Music which is free as part of YouTube Premium subscription, but I decided to stick with YouTube and drop Spotify and Apple Music since I can still access Japanese content while using a VPN and some of the music/songs that are locked only to Japan are now being made available to YouTube Music...
It is possible to have accounts in multiple countries and devices to reside virtually overseas. You may like hulu Japan 🇯🇵.

Reactions: phill85

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
Once they offer a subscription that forces creators to not bloat every damn video with sponsor crap I am game. Heck I would pay extra to have the “smash the like button for the YouTube algorithm” BS removed.

Reactions: LadyMont and tonyr6

jkev57

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
When a person subscribes to YouTube Premium, YouTube Music is thrown in at no charge. I use my YouTube Premium subscription multiple times in a day. I never use YouTube Music even though I have access to it. It's not like Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal or Amazon Music where you specifically subscribe to the music product.

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
I've always thought its madly overpriced. Use the brave browser = no ads.
While I agree regarding brave to block ads as such, I do actually want to support the people who create YouTube content. As others have said, YouTube stuff is way better these days than most TV productions, both entertainment channels and science stuff.

I know that there are even better ways to support them financially but I feel better about giving some money rather than just having the ads be cut away (not sure if they would get anything if no ad is shown)

it is annoying having to pay for continued playing while your device screen is off or the app in the background. Same with download to view offline.

But, we have a family arrangement which makes it ok per person. And I have cancelled all other services - so that is the only thing we subscribe to.

In contrast, iTunes is slow, buggy, has a terrible search function (you need to spell names in exact order to get matches). Happy I still have my CDs and will just purchase more again. YouTube music is not my friend yet but our son loves it. So everybody is happy.

vagos

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
I can't wait to pay for this service so I can watch without ads, youtubers telling me about their sponsors.

copete

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I'm one of those subscribers. I got it more for no ads on YouTube than the music service, however I use the music service quite a bit now. It's great value if you're a heavy YouTube consumer.

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I got it from turkey (1.70€) but I haven’t used YouTube Music even once. I only got it to get rid of those obnoxious ads and for that the full Euro price would have been way too much

StoneJack

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2009
I am one of those who used to use the Vanced app to skip ads from videos [though it can't do anything with ads/sponsorships by the YouTube creators]...

But since I don't jailbreak my iPhone and I don't want to mess with the android TV so as to be able to skip ads, I then decided to subscribe to YouTube Premium initially to skip those ads and download the videos within the app...

I used to have Spotify Premium and Apple Music subscription but then I learned that if you do not have your account set to Japan, even if you can use a VPN to spoof your location as if you are in Japan, the music I listen to are mostly Japanese, you still have limited access to Japanese library...

I also do not have a payment method that can be used in Japan and the only time you can change the country is once you are on a free account or the subscription has expired... This is what I know about Spotify but not sure about Apple Music...

I recently found the same [limited Japanese library] with YouTube Music which is free as part of YouTube Premium subscription, but I decided to stick with YouTube and drop Spotify and Apple Music since I can still access Japanese content while using a VPN and some of the music/songs that are locked only to Japan are now being made available to YouTube Music...
you can listen to Japanese content on Apple music outside of Japan.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I'm one of those subscribers. I got it more for no ads on YouTube than the music service, however I use the music service quite a bit now. It's great value if you're a heavy YouTube consumer.
How is the youtube music service vs the apple one ?

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'll never understand why people subscribe to services instead of buying products. I suppose it's a matter of accepting whatever the neighbour does, because if people used their minds instead of looking at the neighbour, this youtube service would have got below a dozen subscribers, and the transition from products to services wouldn't have happened. It's sad, because the right to own things might have its days numbered, considering how easy has been to fool people.
YouTube needs to make money, and pay contributors, so they play ads. They let you pay a subscription to get rid of the ads.

I watch a lot of YouTube. It's worth the money to me to not deal with ads. It's really that simple.

If I stop watching YouTube so much, I'll end my subscription.

Reactions: freedomlinux

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It's actually money well spent, and especially so if you have children.

YouTube content is so much better nowadays than anything on TV.
And parents as well. I paid for YouTube premium because I don’t want my elderly parents to accidentally install crap apps because of the ads on YouTube. The price is well worth my time instead of me cleaning up their devices on a regular basis.

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
How is the youtube music service vs the apple one ?
Catalog wise, Apple Music is better. You’ll also get lossless with Apple Music. I use YouTube Music because I already paid for it as part of YouTube Premium, not because I necessarily want YouTube music… :D

Reactions: ecatomb

4jasontv

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2011
I've always thought its madly overpriced. Use the brave browser = no ads.

Proper operating systems have adblock like uBlock.

Proper operating systems allow more effective adblocks.
Wow. So many people openly promoting stealing content.
While I agree regarding brave to block ads as such, I do actually want to support the people who create YouTube content. As others have said, YouTube stuff is way better these days than most TV productions, both entertainment channels and science stuff.
Some of the content on YouTube is better than network TV. Captain Disillusion, Veritasium, I Like To Make Stuff, Todd in the Shadows …

Reactions: Dave.UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.