Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube is piloting a new cheaper subscription tier in Europe called "Premium Lite," which offers ad-free viewing minus YouTube Premium's other features.

youtube-premium-lite.jpg

First spotted by a user on ResetEra and subsequently confirmed by Google, the "Lite" plan means users who aren't interested in offline downloads or background playback can still enjoy YouTube videos on web and mobile app without being interrupted by ads.

A YouTube spokesperson told The Verge:
"In Nordics and Benelux (except for Iceland), we're testing a new offering to give users even more choice: Premium Lite costs €6.99/month (or local equivalent per month) and it includes ad-free videos on YouTube."
A standard YouTube Premium plan costs around €11.99/£11.99 a month in Europe and $11.99 in the United States, and includes ad-free viewing on web, mobile app, smart TVs and consoles, as well as ad-free YouTube Music listening, background playback, and offline downloads.

As The Verge notes, the "Lite" option costs around 60% of the price of a Premium plan but only offers a quarter of the features. However, YouTube says that the subscription plan is still in an experimental phase, and that it could still roll out more plans to gauge user feedback.

Article Link: YouTube Tests Cheaper 'Premium Lite' Subscription for Ad-Free Viewing

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Or you just „fly“ to Turkey and pay less than a cheese burger for the premium subscription ?.
Premium Lite. What a stupid name.

by the way, how does Google still get away with a more expensive subscription price via Apple IAP? I thought this wasn’t allowed and that’s why Netflix stopped signing up from iOS all together

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
Is it just me that really has an issue with YouTube charging extra for background playback, which is essentially an operating system feature, not an app feature?

£12 per month for this and no ads is too high. I trialled it and then cancelled. I would pay £6 pm, but only if background playback was also added.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
All of this tech, Youtube, ISP's Cell Carriers is way over priced for what you get. After 10PM where we are if you watch Youtube it'll time out or sometimes won't even open a video/movie. Spectrum says its Youtube. If I tether off my iPhone XR with AT&T I don't have the problems. Way way too much GREED. Use other browsers with plugins to remove the ad's.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Ad-free viewing of videos is what I'm interested in, but the "normal" price includes Youtube Music. I also have music streaming elsewhere, I have no need for that from Youtube - so getting rid of that to reduce the price would be my first pick.

I was just typing this same comment!

Yeah I wonder how much of that $12 a month went towards the music service... and how much went to the ad-free video experience?

Like you... I already have a music streaming solution... so it felt silly to pay for another one.

All I want is ad-free Youtube. That will suit me just fine. I personally don't care about offline and background playback.

Now if they can do a yearly plan for $80... I'll sign up immediately.

I hate little monthly charges!

:p

Reactions: xyz01 and AirTag

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I pay for premium since day one and they gave me Picture in Picture few weeks ago and now taken it away Whats google playing at, I’m in the U.K. and it’s twice I had it and they removed it, also give us dark mode system wide I’ve had enough of google

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
If Google makes decent iOS and ATV apps, it could be worth considering at a lower price point. But definitely not with their current buggy apps that don’t follow iOS paradigms.

I’m perfectly happy with watching YT in Safari in combination with an adblocker and free PiP.

Jackorias

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2013
Yorkshire
Yeah that still isn't a price worth paying for me. uBlock Origin works just fine for the features I need. If I was consuming YouTube on my phone or on something like an iPad then I can see £4 a month or so being worth it to me.

Reactions: MrFootery

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Umm I never see ads on YouTube. UBlock Origin and others easily block all ads for free……for years now.

On my iOS devices I use Safari and Wipr to access YouTube and not the app to NOT see ads.

Reactions: femike and ijbond

JonBOY26

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
Australia
The price of YouTube premium is absurd. I'd consider it if it was ~AUD$7 p/m, like Prime Video, but AUD$19.99 p/m, get outta here! And since Premium's pricing puts it out of contention, YouTube Vanced and YouTube Smart TV (for Android TV) are the way to go for an ad-free experience.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.