Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

YouTube Updates Logo and Announces New Features for iOS App and Desktop Site

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today announced a few changes coming to the company's mobile apps and desktop site, including a visual update for the well-known YouTube logo. Instead of emphasizing the "Tube" part of the branding, the new icon places the TV-like icon to the left of the company's name.

Designed for our multi-screen world, the updated Logo combines a cleaned up version of the YouTube wordmark and Icon, creating a more flexible design that works better across a variety of devices, even on the tiniest screens.

Why's it more flexible? When room is limited (say on a smartphone) you can use the brightened up Icon as an abbreviated Logo, which will be seen more easily and read more clearly. You'll see the new Logo and Icon roll out across mobile and desktop today, and across all our other apps and services soon.
Additionally, the company announced a few updates coming to its iOS and Android apps including improved navigation, more gesture controls (like swiping left and right to jump between videos in a playlist), the ability to speed up or slow down videos, and a dedicated player for vertical videos. There's also a new way to browse more videos while in the YouTube player, by swiping up from the bottom of the screen to see suggested videos.

Both the app and desktop site are being updated to Google's Material Design aesthetic, which will refresh YouTube with a "simple and intuitive user experience that lets content shine," according to the company. With the new update to the desktop site, users will be able to turn on an official Dark Theme so they can browse YouTube more comfortably at night. The Verge reports that Dark Theme will be available on the YouTube mobile apps as well.

Many of the iOS, Android, and desktop updates will launch today, along with the all-new YouTube logo which users should begin noticing across mobile apps and online throughout the day.

Article Link: YouTube Updates Logo and Announces New Features for iOS App and Desktop Site

Reactions: DianeW16

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The YouTube iOS app kills your battery. If you don't have YouTube Red and you go back to the home screen, there will be silent background audio playing. Force quit the app or use ProTube, which is what I've done.

This has been an issue for years and I'm not sure why it's not getting more coverage. FaceBook app was doing the same thing and it was found that it was intentional to keep the app live to track users. I wouldn't be surprised if Google is doing the same thing.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I thought I would be alone in preferring the old one, but it seems like many people prefer it.

They should be sorting out the many issues with YouTube rather than changing the logo.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in marketing, so I get the need and desire to rebrand. But in this case, the old logo seems better to me. It stands out more than a somewhat generic icon with text next to it.
Bud Light did the same thing. The new thing seems to be replace any iconic icons with just words and call that **** a logo.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
How about fixing the unsubscribe button. When I post on a video or reply to a comment on a video I should be able to unsubscribe from further notifications to that comment. BUT when hitting unsubscribe it unsubscribes from ALL comments on ALL other videos, not just the comment. Fix that!

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Ties together their mobile app logo. I wonder how many more people visit YouTube on mobile compared to web browser? I use it on AppleTV and iPhone, but rarely on a web browser. My interaction with the logo has been the new version for over a year. So the brand recognition has probably shifted enough that more people see the new logo than the older logo.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I'm in marketing, so I get the need and desire to rebrand. But in this case, the old logo seems better to me. It stands out more than a somewhat generic icon with text next to it.
Then you should understand why the change.
The old logo, and the name YouTube relate to a CRT TV or Monitor, which are both outdated.
The new logo, representing a Play button, focus on the fact that you can play videos. The logo completely disconnects from the "tube" concept, which may be old school for the new generations.

Regardless, I don't use their app at all.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
"Oh no. Something changed. I'm going to die."

The new logo makes sense because the red screen with the white arrow in it is their key visual identifier. It appears right in the centre of all their videos. (Ones not set to autoplay, of course.) You've got a whole generation who have interacted with that element, and have likely seen it more than the old logo itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.