Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Can someone recommend a better alternative to the Zaggfolio? I'm not giving my money to these asshats.

keep reading here - there are many better than zagg...beware of the ones that seem to be the "greatest" and have no posts after them - the shills are out in full force when everyone needs a new case...

karkalec

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
update to my zaggbattle

Response from CEO's office:

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your email and thank you for informing us of the problems that you are experiencing. Our CEO, Robert G Pedersen II, has read your email and has asked me to respond in his behalf. I apologize for any confusion or frustration that your order # IC5470117 for the ZAGGfolio Carbon with Silver w/ Black Keyboard (The new Apple iPad) has caused, and I can completely understand.

We have been working hard to get the packaging updated for all of our products for the New iPad. We are expecting to have the packaging for the ZAGGfolio for the New iPad within the next week, I can assure you that even though you received your ZAGGfolio in the iPad 2 packaging, it is in fact for the New iPad.

I can understand your frustration with the ZAGGfolio for the iPad 2 and the New iPad both having the same dimensions, I would be happy to clarify this for you. As you know the New iPad is 0.03" thicker than the previous iPad 2, to compensate for the change we have created the inside of the folio that houses the New iPad thinner. With this in mind, I can assure you that you have received an updated ZAGGfolio that was specifically created for the New iPad and not a re-marketed ZAGGfolio for the iPad 2.

I hope this helps and again I am sincerely sorry for any frustration that this has caused you. If you need additional assistance, or have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

All the best,

--

DESIRAY BUTTARS

Office of the CEO

----------

Good Afternoon Desiray,

Thank you for your prompt response on behalf of Mr. Pedersen. I understand what you are saying about the inside of the folio being thinner, and that would explain why the specifications listed on your website are the same--since they don't reflect changes to the inside of the folio. It was an open secret that the new Ipad was going to be unveiled on March 7--all the world was waiting to see was exactly how it would be different from the Ipad 2. It's still a little curious to me that Zagg could redesign the inside of the folio and have it ready to ship on March 12 but not have boxes ready, but I will take you at your word.

I do have another question for you regarding Bluetooth. I noticed that the New Ipad folio I received from you is Bluetooth 3.0 (as was the Ipad 2 Zaggfolio) despite the fact that the New Ipad supports Bluetooth 4.0. Can you tell me why Zagg chose to not update to Bluetooth 4.0 when these new Ipad folios were designed?

Thank you once again for your time.

Sincerely,

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
^ thanks what I was thinking. Somebody who has both should be able to measure and confirm.

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Response from CEO's office:

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your email and thank you for informing us of the problems that you are experiencing. Our CEO, Robert G Pedersen II, has read your email and has asked me to respond in his behalf. I apologize for any confusion or frustration that your order # IC5470117 for the ZAGGfolio Carbon with Silver w/ Black Keyboard (The new Apple iPad) has caused, and I can completely understand.

We have been working hard to get the packaging updated for all of our products for the New iPad. We are expecting to have the packaging for the ZAGGfolio for the New iPad within the next week, I can assure you that even though you received your ZAGGfolio in the iPad 2 packaging, it is in fact for the New iPad.

I can understand your frustration with the ZAGGfolio for the iPad 2 and the New iPad both having the same dimensions, I would be happy to clarify this for you. As you know the New iPad is 0.03" thicker than the previous iPad 2, to compensate for the change we have created the inside of the folio that houses the New iPad thinner. With this in mind, I can assure you that you have received an updated ZAGGfolio that was specifically created for the New iPad and not a re-marketed ZAGGfolio for the iPad 2.

I hope this helps and again I am sincerely sorry for any frustration that this has caused you. If you need additional assistance, or have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

All the best,

--

DESIRAY BUTTARS

Office of the CEO

----------

Good Afternoon Desiray,

Thank you for your prompt response on behalf of Mr. Pedersen. I understand what you are saying about the inside of the folio being thinner, and that would explain why the specifications listed on your website are the same--since they don't reflect changes to the inside of the folio. It was an open secret that the new Ipad was going to be unveiled on March 7--all the world was waiting to see was exactly how it would be different from the Ipad 2. It's still a little curious to me that Zagg could redesign the inside of the folio and have it ready to ship on March 12 but not have boxes ready, but I will take you at your word.

I do have another question for you regarding Bluetooth. I noticed that the New Ipad folio I received from you is Bluetooth 3.0 (as was the Ipad 2 Zaggfolio) despite the fact that the New Ipad supports Bluetooth 4.0. Can you tell me why Zagg chose to not update to Bluetooth 4.0 when these new Ipad folios were designed?

Thank you once again for your time.

Sincerely,

Zagg is a joke. I called CS and they told me lies. They said the ONLY thing different between the two folios is the fact that there is a thinner material on the back.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
won't be long now

When folks have the new iPad (3rd generation) to compare it will be interesting on what the findings are on the depth of the iPad 2 version versus the new one.

I'd imagine some people will be able to quantify it exactly and then we'll see what's in fact what.

Friday may be the day. :cool:

----------

keep reading here - there are many better than zagg...beware of the ones that seem to be the "greatest" and have no posts after them - the shills are out in full force when everyone needs a new case...

The Zagg does have a very nice keyboard. How about being more specific? :eek:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
won't be long now, by this time tomorrow someone will be able to confirm one way or the other.

karkalec

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Does the below email from Zagg regarding Bluetooth make sense or is this woman doing a Jedi mind trick on me? What other devices does the Zaggfolio keyboard for New Ipad need to be compatible with besides the new Ipad?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email and thank you for the update. I am glad that I was able to explain the differences between the ZAGGfolio for the iPad 2 and the ZAGGfolio for the New iPad to your satisfaction.

In regards to your inquiry about the Bluetooth 4.0 and the New iPad, because this is such a new technology upgrading the ZAGGfolio keyboard to the Bluetooth 4.0 would make it so that it would only be compatible with very few devices. The Bluetooth 3.0 ZAGGfolio keyboard will be completely compatible with the New iPad. This may be an option that we decide to update in the future, at the time of the ZAGGfolio for the New iPad this was the best option that we saw fit for the Bluetooth products that we manufacture.

I hope this helps and if you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Kindly,

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Does the below email from Zagg regarding Bluetooth make sense or is this woman doing a Jedi mind trick on me? What other devices does the Zaggfolio keyboard for New Ipad need to be compatible with besides the new Ipad?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email and thank you for the update. I am glad that I was able to explain the differences between the ZAGGfolio for the iPad 2 and the ZAGGfolio for the New iPad to your satisfaction.

In regards to your inquiry about the Bluetooth 4.0 and the New iPad, because this is such a new technology upgrading the ZAGGfolio keyboard to the Bluetooth 4.0 would make it so that it would only be compatible with very few devices. The Bluetooth 3.0 ZAGGfolio keyboard will be completely compatible with the New iPad. This may be an option that we decide to update in the future, at the time of the ZAGGfolio for the New iPad this was the best option that we saw fit for the Bluetooth products that we manufacture.

I hope this helps and if you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Kindly,

They are wack. But I also emailed them. The woman asked what she could do to make it up. I said I wanted a real zagg folio for iPad three with Saturday overnight delivery, I want to keep the folio I have now, and I wanted the express shipping I paid refunded. Soon I had an order confirmation for a new folio, and the money refunded. So it looks like I will have two zagg folios for the price of 1 :)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
The keyboard part is true. Not every device is Bluetooth 4.0 ready. Majority of the peripherals on the market are not even Bluetooth 4.0 yet so I see no issue there.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
They are wack. But I also emailed them. The woman asked what she could do to make it up. I said I wanted a real zagg folio for iPad three with Saturday overnight delivery, I want to keep the folio I have now, and I wanted the express shipping I paid refunded. Soon I had an order confirmation for a new folio, and the money refunded. So it looks like I will have two zagg folios for the price of 1 :)

Ill buy the other one off ya..
pm me

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
A keyboard that supports Bluetooth 4 should also support 3...so that response is BS.

Last edited:

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
How is the fit for anyone that has the new iPad now?

+1

Can anyone with the new iPad and/or the Zaggfolio for iPad tell us
(1) what are the differences between the Zaggfolio for iPad 2 and Zaggfolio for new iPad if any (i.e. is the keyboard or case different, better quality, etc.)
(2) can the new iPad fit in the Zaggfolio for iPad 2 case. Then I can buy that one and save myself $20

Thanks a lot in advance

EYESPORTS

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
I received my carbon fiber Zaggfolio (for the ipad 3 the other day). Just received the new ipad. Unfortunately, not a good fit at all. Have to force the ipad in and yank it out (not easy at all).

My box on the Zagg also said for ipad 2. I emailed the CEO the other day (upon receipt) and a rep got back to me assuring me that it was the new case - and they didn't have the new packaging yet. They couldn't place a sticker on it or anything?

Just got off the phone with Zagg - they said they would exchange it, however, it appears that I would not even get the replacement for 10 days. Not right. I emailed the rep (from the CEO office) to see what can be done. If it's 10 days (and I suspect could be the same lousy fit) - will have to return.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
thanks for the info. looks like I may be holding off a bit if this is the case

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
tight

Have the new iPad in the folio and it's tight trying to get it out. Spoke to customer service and they referenced the back with the camera cutout. It's definitely accommodating for the larger camera although the box does say iPad 2.

The keyboard is great and not sure if the tolerances will get a little better as this is not the leather model.

But if you are using this and need to shift to portrait mode on occasion or just remove it, expect to be fighting with it some.

Do folks think there is something different coming even as they have confirmed the rear of the unit's camera cutout?

Just wondering.

vicfalc09

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Any one put the new iPad in an older iPad 2 Zaggfolio? I would live to know the results.

wirelessness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I can confirm that the fit is very tight. I have not used one of these cases before so it seemed normal to me. The camera hole seems to line up just fine. Only problem is the magnets on/off are not working at all. Clearly this is an iPad 2 case.
I'm not that worried though. Zagg already gave me excellent support buy quickly shipping me another case because this one arrived with a key loose. The key popped right back in though. This is bad business practice. Obviously they wanted to make some sales and figured they would have to send replacements out to people for free. I'll use this one until they make new ones and get a free replacement when it comes. There weren't any other cases available anyway.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
My Zaggfolio case (for the iPad2) does not fit the new iPad. :( Love the keyboard but am a little disappointed. It was a tight fit with the iPad2 so there is no surprise the new iPad does not fit.

Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.