Zagg InvisibleShield on new Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fuzzylemurs, Apr 25, 2010.

1. fuzzylemurs macrumors member

Hey there folks... Has anyone out there gotten an Invisishield on their new MBP? Review?

I have a personal 15" i5 that I am considering one for, but don't want the invisishield to appear too glossy once applied. How does it look? Any pictures?

Thanks!

2. nimski62 macrumors regular

I say get the best skin ever. Half the price + it doesn't have so much sheen to it.

3. gagaliya macrumors 6502

and what is the "best skin ever" ?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I can't comment on how the InvisibleShield is on the newest MacBook Pro, but I did have it on my late-2008 model so I can comment on its general qualities.

It has a glossy finish, much like that of a laminate, but with more of a textured look to it, and less reflectivity. If installed correctly, it doesn't look out of place and the casual observer will think that your MBP came that way. (I know from experience.) The protection it offers is very good, and the likelihood of your Mac getting scrated with the InvisibleShield installed is slim-to-none, but dents and deeper gauges can still occur if you aren't careful.

Also, if you ever need to send in your Mac for a new display, the InvisibleShield's lifetime warranty means that you can send in the piece covering the display for a new shield, and only pay the cost of shipping. I recommend using a Moshi PalmGuard or a similar product instead of the InvisibleShield film on the palmrests, since it will cause your palms to stick if they get a little sweaty. On a similar note, don't install the trackpad film that comes with the InvisibleShield because it destroys the pleasant low-friction experience that you get with Apple's trackpads.

I unfortunately don't have any pictures of my old Mac with the InvisibleShield, but I can tell you that it's a quality product and I won't hesitate to buy one again when I order my new Mac.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I ordered one for my MBP and it should arrive this week. I'll post pics once I have it installed along with my impressions.

FWIW though, I'm a big fan of ZAGG Invisble Shields. My iPhone, Camera LCD display, and my Magic Mouse all have shields installed on them, and they're great.

6. fuzzylemurs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to the replies guys - I've got the invisible shield on my iphone and my LCD on my Canon T2i, but theyve been very small implementations compared to a full MBP body, so id love to see pictures.

I would also love to hear how its implementation effects the trackpad.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Note: I have two ZAGG discount codes that I was given but will end up not using myself: one for 40% off anything in their store that expires April 30 (tomorrow!) and a 20% off code that expires May 31. they are transferrable. If you want a discount code, let me know via private forum message. First person to PM me gets the 40%, and the second person gets the 20%. Thanks for the interest. All codes, including several subsequent discount codes I got, have been given out.

Well, My ZAGG shield for my MacBook Pro arrived a couple of days ago and I have it installed on my unibody MBP.

Some photos...

Before the installation:

http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0479.JPG
    http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0480.JPG
    http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0481.JPG
    http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0482.JPG

You basic run-of-the-mill 15" 2010 unibody MacBook pro.

The ZAGG Invisible shield for this comes in a cardboard tube enclosure, so everything is rolled up. Unpackaged, it looks like this:

http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0483.JPG

Inside the package you get:

- Several sheets with die-perforated shield pieces (they still need to be lightly "punched out" of the sheet with your fingers)

- A bottle of "Shield Spray"

- A rubber squeegee

- Instructions and a map of sorts that show where the pieces go.

Punched-out, the pieces will look like this:

http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0484.JPG

Basically, you get 2 large sheets of the film for the bottom of the MBP (with cutouts for the screws and the rubber feet), and the "top" shell portion, a strip that covers the palmrest area, a separate piece (two actually, one's a spare) that covers the trackpad, and several strips that adhere to the edges of the macbook pro, including the black hinge portion in the rear.

Left uncovered are the areas around the USB/networking/AV ports, the area immediately surround the optical drive, the keyboard and keyboard grill, and the screen.

Putting all of these on took me an hour and a half. No joke. Invisible shields have always required a lot of skill and patience to put on, and this was by far the hardest one I've ever done. I've done almost a dozen iPhones (for myself and friends), some cameras, and some GPS units. This was my first laptop... and hopefully my last.

Some tips and warnings:

- If you've never applied a ZAGG Invisible shield on anything before, a laptop is NOT the device to start with. The fact that this requires such big pieces makes this a very tough job.

- That said, if you've worked with these things before and have successfully installed ZAGG shields on other devices, then you have a much better chance of doing this right. You just need a lot of patience and time, and you need to stay cool and calm. If you're in a bad mood, stressed or impatient, guaranteed you will ruin the shield and botch the installation.

- That spray is there for a reason. ZAGG shields are applied while wet. Follow the instructions carefully, and only use what you need... not too much, and NEVER spray the device directly, JUST the shield material and your fingers a safe distance away from the device so that no mist gets on it. You should also have some absorbent paper towels handy, ready to cover any exposed ports and prevent the liquid from going places it shouldn't go.

Again, if you've never done this before and are not comfortable with applying an adhesive material to your devices using "wet" methods, then do not attempt this! If you accidentally soak your macbook or damage the internals or the finish, the fault is your own!

ZAGG has mall kiosks and stores that will apply this material on your macbook pro for you, if you want this. Go to their website and see if there are locations near you.

- The big pieces and the stretchy material means that it's very easy to stretch the shield WAY out of proportion while putting it on. As you're putting the pieces on, do it slowly, and pause every so often to let the material "rest" and slowly contract to it's correct size. If you've "overstretched" a piece, you'll know right away, at which point you're going to need to carefully peel it off, lay it flat on its non-sticky side, and let it go back to it's normal size... then, try again. Don't count on being able to "trim" the pieces. This material is VERY durable, and it will even resist being cut by an x-acto knife, requiring lots of pressure and guaranteeing that the excessive force required to cut it means you'll damage the aluminum finish.

- If you decide (again at your own risk!) to do this, definitely practice first with the trackpad. If anything, ZAGG gives you a spare trackpad piece, and it will give you an idea of what you're dealing with here.

Once the shield is applied, it adds a glossy sheen:

http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0485.JPG

As is typical with Invisible shield installs, you might see some air bubbles and small pockets. These smooth out over a few days.

http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0486.JPG

This is the part of the shield protecting the palmrest area, and the shield over the trackpad. Again, some bubbles here, but they will go away as the material "breathes."

I'm least happy with how the bottom turned out, since I ended up with the most air bubbles there:

http://scaredpoet.com/images/forums/mbpzagg/IMG_0487.JPG

The bottom is the toughest section to put on, because there are four holes that line up with the rubber feet, and then a bunch of smaller tiny holes that are supposed to line up with the case screws. As a result, I had to return putting on the bottom the most times, and the more I retried, the more bubbles I got. Fortunately, people don't often stare the bottom of my laptops, so I can live with this.

Would I do it again if I had the choice? Honestly, I'm not so sure. I definitely see where Invisible shields are useful on things like iPhones, which get carried around a lot and might get more easily banged up. It also helps the smaller gadgets mean smaller shield bits, meaning they aren't nearly as hard to put on.

Even so, now that I have it on, I'm pretty sure it will stay there and that it will do a great job of protecting most of the exterior from scuffs and scrapes.

8. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

Thanks for the play by play Poet.

You convinced me not to go the inviseishield route. I have one for my iPod touch, but (and no offense) I don't think I like the odd texture it gives the computer visibly. Especially the plam/trackpad area. However, I hope you enjoy it and you don't need to ever replace it. I have to on my iPod it is scratched. :D

9. ptahkeem macrumors member

check out wrapsol. i think they give zagg a run for their money. theres a bit of a difference in the material they use though. zagg has an orange-peel like, completely see-thru tacky material. whereas, wrapsol's has a mottled finish that is opaque, not as tacky, and doesn't attract dust like the invisishield. ive had both on products in the past and i definitely like the wrapsol product over zagg's.

my $0.02.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, the texture is a little uneven. It's not perfectly smooth. This is typical Invisible shield though.

Again, if I knew what a pain it was going to be, I probably wouldn't have done it, but I already had the materials there, so I gave it a go.

I would still recommend ZAGG for small devices. My iPhone and my girlfriend's iPhone are both pristine thanks to the shields that I put on them, despite the abuse they take. But once you start going laptop size, they're just too hard to get on.

See, to me "mottled and opaque" seems even WORSE than the ZAGG orange-peel texture. But that's my opinion.

11. ptahkeem macrumors member

why worse? the material zagg uses gets sticky in hot or humid environments, AND it attracts dust and fingerprints like no other. wrapsol, on the other hand, the material stays firm, has a very nice texture, and doesn't make your device a giant dust/finger-print magnet. either way, you should check their product out.

12. ptahkeem macrumors member

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3790169529_1e7b02e206.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2538/3817615940_ea83e1fde7.jpg

hit either link and you'll see what i'm talking about when it comes to "mottled". actually, the feel of the film is quite firm and on the iphone(which is what i had it previously installed on) it makes the device easier to grip, while maintaining non-tackiness.

also, just for clarification, you aren't supposed to put the mottled wrapsol product on your screen. they do supply a clear, non mottled film for the screen but i hate rubbery plastic screen protectors. matte finish static cling protectors look leaps and bounds better and are much easier to install.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Hmm, I guess that kind of texture on a MacBook pro would work out well. Almost like the bare aluminum anyway, so no one would notice it's even there.

In any case, the effort involved for something the size of a laptop has me put off. If this shield ever has to come off, I'll likely not put anything back on it.

14. ptahkeem macrumors member

haha, yea the effort involved will most likely suck. BUT, you did invest $2k+ into a machine so in the end, to me at least, it's worth it. i'll be installing a wrapsol on my mbp when i order it. the customer service at wrapsol is awesome too. i had to get my iphone replaced via applecare and they didnt allow me to remove my film. i emailed wrapsol and the guys were nice enough to send me a new wrapsol for the iphone and an additional wrapsol ultra(some new fangled product that they're trying to hype).

anyhow, to each his own. =)

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Be sure to take photos! :)

16. ptahkeem macrumors member

will do in a week or two when i get around to ordering it haha. ill take some shots with my t2i(JUST LIKE YOU!) lol.

17. tekmoe macrumors 68000

18. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I've tried all the films over the years. HUGE fan of the Wrapsol. Nice, matte texture, easy to apply, holds up well. Just put wrapsol on my 2010 MPB.

Attached Files:

19. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I used a 50% off coupon for Zagg's Invisible Shield. I've always used them for all my MBPs. I just put it on my new 15 i7 hi-res anti-glare about a week ago. No problems with it and it smoothens out with no bubbles after a few days of use.

20. andrew086 macrumors regular

I just received my invisibleSHIELD in the mail today (make sure you enter the iPad drawing to get up to a 50% off coupon like me :p) and I also have one on my phone. On my phone, I notice no orange peel feel at all. On the screen, you can see a little bit of a ripple and that's it. Maybe it'll be different on a bigger device though.

If I do decide I want to return it, does anyone with a wrapsol know if it feels like a naked MacBook Pro? I'm going to miss the feel of the aluminum...

21. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

The Wrapsol looks beautiful. I've heard highly about it. However, I just hate it when these films (all of them) start to peel off from the rounded edges, starts gathering lint, cat hair and dust and looks like gangrene. :mad:

22. ptahkeem macrumors member

VERY NICE! Does it cover any of the side portions? Also, how's the heat dissippation?

and for the peeling comment you should try shooting an email over to wrapsol they might send you a brand new wrapsol.

23. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

It has 2 small strips to cover the back corners, but I didn't install them. Basically, no corner protection. Also, I didn't install the bit over the trackpad, as I love the feel of the stock glass-covering, and my guess is this area isn't nearly as prone to nicks/divots as the aluminum frame.

Heat has been a non-issue. Haven't noticed any difference, frankly. This stuff is pretty thin, shouldn't impede the conductivity much (yeah, I'm an engineer with too-many heat transfer courses back in college....).

24. ptahkeem macrumors member

Bah! No corner protection kinda sucks. Oh well. For the wrist area and trackpad you should look into the Moshi product.

Good to hear about it not impeding much of the conductivity. THERMODYNAMICS and HEAT TRANSFER AHHHHHHHHH!!! lol.

25. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

My plan is to use the Spec (or Incase) covers for those times you want corner protection and a bit more armor. With the wrapsol covering underneath, you avoid the trapped dirt problem scratching the aluminum, too.