Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I love my iPhone 13 mini. I hope it will last forever.

But if it doesn’t, and Apple does not make a new model to replace it, I think a phone like the Zenphone 10 could well fit the bill.

Does switching to Android mean selling my soul to Google and its advertisers? What is your experience with alternative operating systems such as /e/OS?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013

But if it doesn’t, and Apple does not make a new model to replace it, I think a phone like the Zenphone 10 could well fit the bill.

Does switching to Android mean selling my soul to Google and its advertisers? What is your experience with alternative operating systems such as /e/OS?
That phone does sound interesting. I don't believe it is much smaller than the Galaxy S23 but unfortunately that is what passes for "smallish" these days. You are likely exposed to Google thousands of times a day now even though you use an iPhone. Many of us here have used or still use Android and find it good/very good/excellent.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

This is funny lol.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Two things…yes, the Zenphone 10 is smaller than most typical Android flagship phones but did you actually happen to take a look at the dimensions? It’s basically about the same size as an iPhone 14 and quite a bit bigger than the 13 mini. If size is what’s important, you can stay with iOS and keep a phone that’s about as small as anything you’ll find comparable on Android.

And 2nd, don’t believe the perpetuated stereotypes about Android and lack of privacy. Yes, Google doesn’t have the advertised (sorry, no pun intended) privacy forward concern that Apple pushes but in reality, the two companies behaviors aren’t that different—both want to use your data for their benefit. And contrary to the aforementioned stereotypes, Google isn’t off selling your personal private data to anyone you’ll pay for it…they much prefer, like Apple, to keep it and use it for their own benefit. Also, you have control both with a Google account and with the privacy settings on an Android phone, over what information is tracked and shared.

IMG_0033.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg
IMG_0035.jpeg

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Two things…yes, the Zenphone 10 is smaller than most typical Android flagship phones but did you actually happen to take a look at the dimensions? It’s basically about the same size as an iPhone 14 and quite a bit bigger than the 13 mini. If size is what’s important, you can stay with iOS and keep a phone that’s about as small as anything you’ll find comparable on Android.

And 2nd, don’t believe the perpetuated stereotypes about Android and lack of privacy. Yes, Google doesn’t have the advertised (sorry, no pun intended) privacy forward concern that Apple pushes but in reality, the two companies behaviors aren’t that different—both want to use your data for their benefit. And contrary to the aforementioned stereotypes, Google isn’t off selling your personal private data to anyone you’ll pay for it…they much prefer, like Apple, to keep it and use it for their own benefit. Also, you have control both with a Google account and with the privacy settings on an Android phone, over what information is tracked and shared.

View attachment 2227480
View attachment 2227481
View attachment 2227484
I like the Asus Zenfone 10. It is a really nice phone. My only issue would be compared to a discounted Pixel 7 or 7 Pro? How are updates on Asus? Every month, for how long?

Other than my ignorance over how Asus handles updates it looks to me a solid choice. I have liked Asus for various products over the years. So I am sure they make a great phone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I like the Asus Zenfone 10. It is a really nice phone. My only issue would be compared to a discounted Pixel 7 or 7 Pro? How are updates on Asus? Every month, for how long?

Other than my ignorance over how Asus handles updates it looks to me a solid choice. I have liked Asus for various products over the years. So I am sure they make a great phone.
Check out MKBHD’s video on it—he absolutely loves it and he’s generally a pixel user first. Can’t recall him ever saying a phone is near perfect as he’s done with the Zenfone. Software updates haven’t been promised for more than a couple years I believe though. Sounds like Asus’ software over Android is pretty minimal and you even have the option to go with stock Android when going through the initial setup.

I’m primarily an iPhone user but usually often keep an Android phone as a secondary. I’m the past that phone has most often been a Google variety, going back to my first Android, the Galaxy Nexus. I haven’t actually had an Android phone since trading in my Pixel 4 XL last year and this phone is likely the one I’m going to pick up when it’s available.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Check out MKBHD’s video on it—he absolutely loves it and he’s generally a pixel user first. Can’t recall him ever saying a phone is near perfect as he’s done with the Zenfone. Software updates haven’t been promised for more than a couple years I believe though. Sounds like Asus’ software over Android is pretty minimal and you even have the option to go with stock Android when going through the initial setup.

I’m primarily an iPhone user but usually often keep an Android phone as a secondary. I’m the past that phone has most often been a Google variety, going back to my first Android, the Galaxy Nexus. I haven’t actually had an Android phone since trading in my Pixel 4 XL last year and this phone is likely the one I’m going to pick up when it’s available.
2 years of official software support is really bad in 2023.

And that is what keeps a good hardware device from being great.

Your experience with Google phones is very different because Google does a lot of work updating the phone for a minimum of 3 years and now that has expanded to 5 years.

Resale value will be terrible for the Asus and would kill my sell/trade in thing I have going.

Why not get a Pixel 7a? It has a smaller screen?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Mostly want to try something different. If I’m not getting a large phone with a big display, I want small and the Zenfone is smaller. By all early accounts, performance, display, battery life are all better on the Zen and the cameras are very good. I take quite a lot of video, something the Pixel’s are average at doing and the stability on the Zen looks exceptional. I also like the design better.

I have tons of Google devices and I seem to have quality issues with most. My 4 XL wireless charging just stopped working—and then did it again a year later after getting it fixed. My 3XL battery just spontaneously expanded—that phone rarely left the house. My 2 XL suffered from the common display issues of that generation. I love the Google software and camera experience but otherwise, there performance and quality has been lackluster.

I don’t care too much about the software updates because I generally don’t keep phones that long. And resale values of Google devices has been average at best over the years. But again, want to try something new, this seems to have a software experience very close to stock Android and the phone has been getting rave reviews.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Mostly want to try something different. If I’m not getting a large phone with a big display, I want small and the Zenfone is smaller. By all early accounts, performance, display, battery life are all better on the Zen and the cameras are very good. I take quite a lot of video, something the Pixel’s are average at doing and the stability on the Zen looks exceptional. I also like the design better.

I have tons of Google devices and I seem to have quality issues with most. My 4 XL wireless charging just stopped working—and then did it again a year later after getting it fixed. My 3XL battery just spontaneously expanded—that phone rarely left the house. My 2 XL suffered from the common display issues of that generation. I love the Google software and camera experience but otherwise, there performance and quality has been lackluster.

I don’t care too much about the software updates because I generally don’t keep phones that long. And resale values of Google devices has been average at best over the years. But again, want to try something new, this seems to have a software experience very close to stock Android and the phone has been getting rave reviews.
I was just sharing my personal take on it.

I am not trying to dissuade you from getting a Zenfone. I really do like Asus as a company and it would be great to see there be another OEM than Samsung or Google in the US.

The more choice the better. It is just I have already been down the road you are taking and I understand why you are doing it. It is just not something I am willing to do after dealing with Lenovo.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I agree it looks like a really nice phone but 2 years of software support is completely unacceptable. Also, ASUS promised a bootloader unlock for the Zenfone 9 and then backpedaled if I remember right.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Again it looks like a really nice phone but you said videos were important to you and he didn't say the camera system was good, although he didn't specifically talk about video?

If it had a lower price I might be interested. I like the colors. It is a good looking phone.

I still think a Pixel 7a would be better but I get it, no Pixel for you this time around.

My take is this. It is a perfectly good phone that seems like it will be perfect for what you want. The smaller size while having good specs is really important to you. Hmm, it is almost like Apple and Samsung might be wrong.... People might actually want high spec smaller phone???

It will suck in terms of the frequency of updates and you will get 2 OS upgrade so until 15. Then another 2 years of security patches. So it is not as bad as just 2 years.

So I say go for it. Just make sure you have a return period. Then see what you think. Rog phones are very popular so I bet the Zenfone is pretty sweet. Just got to nudge Asus to give at least 3 OS upgrade and 4 years of security patches and then their pricing would be a little bit better.

You have to do a full review on here once you get it. What color are you interested in? The blue looked really nice as did the red and green.

I can't wait to read what you think of it, if you decide to get it.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
videos were important to you and he didn't say the camera system was good, although he didn't specifically talk about video?
I didn’t check out that review but I’ve watched MKBHD’s review and listened to his take on it on his podcast and he said it’s a near perfect phone—and this is someone who values the camera, display and software experience above all, probably in that order. He goes into detail about the camera and more specifically about the stabilization of the video and has pretty strong praise for it. His biggest concern was regarding the back panel material because the Zenfone 9 didn’t age too well.

The Pixel phones have been photo champs for years, and deservedly so, but if the Zenfone is close enough (Zenfone 9 came in third in his blind camera test), I’ll give it a go to have the other advantages it offers.

If I’m ever able to pick one up, I’ll share my experience here for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.