Zero chance of iPhone 5 being 64GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PDFierro, Aug 1, 2011.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I remember before we had some hope that a future iPhone would have 64GB, but that doesn't seem likely now. Anybody think they are just going to stick with 16 and 32?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I think they'll just stick with 16 and 32 models.

3. jonrando macrumors 6502a

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I think with them pushing icloud so much that it will be sticking with the same capacities.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

True, but with The new data limits and throttling. Unless it's live content, I see people relying more on content on their devices.

6. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

While I agree that a 64GB would be great, and if even buy one just to know I had the space of I really needed it. I don't think it really, truly needed. If u can't get everything that u REALLY TRULY use, and listen to on your 32, then u are spending way to much time on a phone. Not trying to be an ass, but I have about 13.5GB left on my iPhone and have hundreds of pix, over a thousand songs, and alot of apps. Most of the apps are not used all that frequently either. But hey, like I said, if 64 was an option, I'd buy it lol./end speech

7. Zalatorisaurus macrumors member

Zalatorisaurus

I really only want the 64GB so that the 32GB will be cheaper. I only need the 32 because I'll keep my movies on my iPad.

8. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I agree. I have plenty of room on my 32gb 3GS because I don't put my videos on it. I'm not too excited for icloud.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

There are ZERO smartphone available right now (besides iphones) that have built in 32GB of flash ram.

Heck most Android phones don't even have 16GB of built in memory.

Apple has very little incentive to decrease their profit margin by installing a single 64GB Nand flash chip into a mobile device. Yeah I know memory is always getting cheap.

But just look at the microSD prices. A 32GB microSD costs around $50. But if you want a single 64GB microSD, it will cost you well over $130. That's the same with nand type of prices for Apple 32GB to 64GB transition.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Apple wants to make a clear distinction between the iPhone and the iPod - capacity is one way to do this.

11. dickdaney macrumors regular

even if apple offers a 64GB phone, they won't drop the price of the 16GB and 32GB phones. If you want a 64GB phone, be prepared to pay $399 w/2 year agreement. A 64GB iphone will just be another way for apple to increase their margins.

12. davie18 macrumors regular

I would never say 0 chance because the simple fact is we just don't know until it is released. I mean it is certainly possible, if they are going to wait over a year to release another iphone after this then it may be a good idea to try and stay ahead of the competition - or I guess there is always the possibility that they could bring out a 64gb model mid cycle too.

That makes no sense.

They would distinguish between the ipod and iphone by making the iphone (the far more expensive product) have less storage? :confused: Whatever reason they have chosen not to, or chose not to put it into the iPhone 5, I can guarantee that isn't it.

Plus why exactly do they need to make a distinction between the ipod and the iphone anyway? One is a phone, one isn't, they're not exactly competing with each other...

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's clear to me that Apple doesn't care about cannibalizing their own products if they are going to make money anyway. The iPods are old news, Apple makes far more money on you buying an iPod Touch or iPhone and buying things from the App Store. The only reason the iPhone 5 wouldn't be 64 GB is, the single 64 GB flash memory chip might be too cost prohibitive at the moment. It should also be noted that, the reason the iPod Touch is 64 GB is because it can fit two chips in it.

Here's an article from December 15th, 2009

PC World

So, by the time the iPhone 5 comes out, it will have been almost two years since that announcement from Toshiba. Maybe the reason Apple is waiting so long to update the iPhone is because they are waiting for the price to drop.

14. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

There is a chance to have 64 because some people were hoping for it last year and because maybe the mobile phone competition is starting to ramp up it would be a nice little boost.

On the other hand streaming video is more common now and storage is less necessary.

But on the other hand, the new one is expected to have an even bigger camera and making it useful for shooting a lot of video which requires more space then ever before.

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

Apple's iCloud isn't like Spotify or MOG, it still requires you to download the music.

16. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Exactly - so you will still need on device storage. If anything, iCloud will INCREASE storage requirements. It's not a streaming cloud.

Tony

17. Tones2 macrumors 65816

But the difference is that every other smartphone has a microSD slot with an additional 32 GB capacity. So those 16 GB internal memory phones can become 48 GB's - not to mention that fact that you can carry a very light EXTRA 32 GB microSD card for very quick access to 80 GB of media. And even more if you have the money. Yea it's more money, but many of us are willing to pay more for extra capacity.

With no microSD slot, the iPhone does not give us an option to use more than it's internal memory, which has become stuck at 32 GB for several years. It's time to move to 64 GB - even if it means creation of a higher price point (which wouldn't affect the lower capacity devices' existence or price points).

Tony

18. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I absolutely expect a 64 GB iPhone this fall. More and more consumers (including myself) are ditching their iPod's and using their iPhone's as their one and only mp3 player. For many consumers (again, myself included) a 32 GB iPhone is too small to fit my collection onto but a 64 GB model would fit it just fine.

What I'm guessing Apple will do is release 3 models this fall:

$199 (16 GB)

$299 (32 GB)

$399 (64 GB)

I'm so confident it will come to fruition that I'm currently selling my iPod Classic 120 GB on Craigslist this week.

19. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

They could just put a frakin' slot on there so you can add your own damn card.

20. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Whilst I appreciate the reasons they haven't done this (and likely won't in the future), I think the quid pro quo is that Apple must offer at least as much internal storage as competing devices.

With 64GB sdxc cards now available, Apple need to get their act together on this issue.

21. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

It'd be so convenient if they just put a card slot in there, but it is nice just having the memory built in and not having to worry about cards, transporting them and mixing them up and getting them lost. I really wish the next one comes in a 64 GB variety but everyone here has posted compelling arguments for the other side too.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What led you to this conclusion?

What does one have to do with the other? I don't think iCloud will have any affect on the storage provided in the iPhone.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

I agree with this statement. If Apple wants people to use their iCloud, at least add a memory slot to please people who need more storage.

A 32GB microSD (Class 4) card can be bought for about $50 at Amazon. Some of us don't want to deal with this charade anymore with Apple charging $100 for double the storage when the difference between a 16GB microSD vs 32GB microSD is only $30. And it can be expanded at anytime instead of waiting for the next yearly iPhone update to see if Apple decides to offer more storage.

24. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I want 64 GB a much as anyone on the next phone, and I'd also love an microSD slot, but I just don't see either happening this year. In order to have an SD slot, iOS would need sometime of actual file system to manage it - which certainly is not part of iOS 5 (and may never be part of any iOS version).

And in order to have built in capacity, there would have to be 64 GB single chips available in the quantity Apple would need them AND be more affordable than they are today.

Plus, we got all of these 15 year old fanboys loudly yelling out that they don't need 64 GB, which is the core of Apple's clientele. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I don't see it happening this year, much to my dismay. :(

Tony

25. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

What does the competition offer for the price?

I honestly don't know... if other Android phones are offering 64GB versions, you might see that with the iPhone. If just about all higher-end Androids come with 32GB, then Apple won't do it just yet.