Zune HD Hands on Demo and Impressions

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
The video doesn't really portray a "great screen." I'd like to see a better video some time soon.

dae5dia

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2005
Salem, OR
Leave it to Microsoft to simply expand on something Apple has already been producing for a year. If they were actually innovating, it would be impressive.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

juanster said:
hope is as great as they say, so the touch can have some competition and they make it better...
Indeed. I'd love to see some companies like MS and Palm really light a fire under Apple's *** to encourage them to actually make substantial improvements to the iPhone/iPod touch, rather than just releasing moderately improved re-hashes every year.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
That UI just looks like a disorganized mess.

Also, the guy showing it was an idiot. "you can really see the high def there"...

...really?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
How many times did the guy tap on the screen, and nothing happened, and he had to tap again to make it work?

Also, is there multi-touch or not? He didn't seem to show it, especially while looking at photos, and you'd think that would be a great opportunity to show it off.

So Microsoft makes their rotation animation speed a little higher, and that's all it takes for people to say "Wow, that's fast!"? Yet it took a good second or two lag to get to the radio screen, with no indication that it's doing something.

theoneandonlyjosue

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
Please.....

a better ui then that of apples ipod touch/iPhone???
it would be near impossible to do...
but we must be open minded and see it for ones self.

garren_bagley

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Seems Nice

It seems nice to me. If I had seen it three years ago I would have said stunning, but it's not really new.

months

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Toronto
Hahaha you guys are critizing it so much it's hilarious... but what can you expect on an apple rumours site...

I have a macbook and love apple, but I can't lie, this thing looks amazing! The only thing that the ipod touch has over this is the apps and the internet browser, as I'm assuming Microsoft's won't be as good judging from what I've seen of IE mobile.

The UI looks amazing, I love the animations and images, way better than apples

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
But I would take this in a heartbeat, provided they get around to making a Mac client.
exactly. that is just a wonderful piece of hardware. as much as i love my ipods...and ipod touch...the sound is second to sony walkmans and the zunes are wonderful as well. i love zunes...just the software made it a deal breaker...

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
The UI was nice looking, but I would prefer that it be more graphics-based like the iPhone OS.

I was surprised at how small it is. If his hand is approximately the same size as mine then the iPhone is quite a bit bigger than the Zune HD.

Hooray for competition. There hasn't been a good iPod touch killer yet. This looks like it could make Apple step up their game sooner than they might have otherwise.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I thought it was funny when the guy doing the demo tried to turn it to landscape hoping for something to happen, but nothing did. I guess he's used to cover flow on his iPod Touch. ;)

mk321024

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
anywhere you see me online
Zune

OK I LOVE ALL MY APPLE DEVICES BOTH MY IPHONE 2G AND 3G AND BOTH MY IPOD TOUCHES BUT I HAVE TO SAY MICROSOFT NEEDS A PAT ON THE BACK FOR THIS PIECE OF WORK!!! LOOKS SMOOTH NICE INTERFACE AND REALLY CLEAN LOOK, GOOD JOB ZUNE!!! ITS ABOUT TIME MICROSOFT STOPPED AND LOOKED AT WHAT PEOPLE LIKE AND WANT.....:p ILL HAVE TO SEE IF ITS REALLY AS GOOD AS IT LOOKS IN PERSON BEFORE I COME TO A CONCLUSION THOUGH. :apple::apple: APPLE FTW!:apple::apple:

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
It does look nice, but the iPod Touch is really a different beast altogether when you consider the iTunes integration and the App Store.

If they found a way to do what Palm did and have a device that showed up in iTunes, then it would be a reasonable alternative for someone only interested in a straight up music/video player (well not for me, as my music is Apple Lossless and I don't believe their AAC compatibility extends to lossless). But I think the market has pretty soundly rejected the "mass storage drag and drop" paradigm of music player management -- I guess it still has its devotees, but it is so Nomad Jukebox i could puke.

If I were Microsoft, I would definitely do a Zune desktop client that mimicked iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.