Zune HD...WOW!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RiCEADDiCTBOY, Jun 24, 2009.

1. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

2. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I think this was posted here before. Prepare for comments like "Its not really HD at that resolution."

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Main selling point of the iPod touch: An unrivalled App Store containing over 50 000 applications.

Main selling point of the Zune: HD. Oh wait. It doesn't play videos in HD quality. It plays HD video downscaled to the max resolution its screen can support, which isn't HD.

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

No further details have been announced - however, what is to say it won't output the HD content onto your hd tv? Also, I suspect Microsoft will play the Xbox hand heavily with the Zune HD with the tegra gpu. I suspect an Xbox Live implementation.

I'm not trying to make anyone convert or anything - I'm just excited to see a possible worthy alternative to the ipod touch. It can only make the market more interesting and compeition means the consumer can only benefit. Maybe I'm just excited to see something other than Apple catch my attention for once...and that doesn't have to be a bad thing now does it? :cool:

5. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

That's what everyone said with the Zune and look how that panned out. It looks pretty good, no question about that, but the Zune was about as comparable to the iPod as the Zune HD is to the iPod touch and it got Microsoft nowhere. And the interface, from what I remember, looked pretty dumbed down to the iPod touch. It looked more like what would have happened if the touch was a souped up multitouch iPod instead of an iPhone that lacked phone features. The hardware looks nice though.

And there's nothing wrong with being excited about a non-Apple product. The problem for a lot of us is that Microsoft promises the moon and delivers peat moss time and time again. I guess it's being a little jaded.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I wouldn't celebrate just yet: the next-gen iPod Touch is just around the corner...but that's not to say that I dislike the new Zune HD. It's a worthy competitor to the current Touch.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It is a good looking device with a nice looking screen. The CPU is a ARMv6 variant, so it's not up to snuff with the 3GS, but it's got a hearty GPU in there. I'm interested to see how it is received.

8. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

the zune itself was great just the software was troublesome imo. i know plently of people who love zune just hated the software. however, as much as i know this forum hates microsoft - i will stand strong and have faith in the "new" microsoft. when i say "new" i mean the current products and updates that they are developing. they seem to be on the right path this time. i am impressed with the direction microsoft have been on as of late.

cpu isn't as important as gpu..but, yea i am interested to see what microsoft have up their sleeves for this product.

then again - the next generation ipod touch is around the corner as well - but, even if they follow in the 3GS footsteps the gpu would still be better than the next gen ipod touch. i don't know if a camera would be a deal breaker for me or not...unless they actually enable video for it...but, knowing apple they would probably only enable photo capture and leave the video for the iphone segment.

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Oh yeah, it'll definitely be a worthy alternative and something I'll definitely take a look at, but I just don't see it grabbing any of Apple's market share. Nearly everyone I know buys an iPod touch because of the App Store, and the only thing Microsoft has announced regarding apps or games, is the Xbox Live Arcade XNA games that can be played on the Zune. I'm sure some really creative content will emerge from that, but it won't match the sheer quantity or variety of the App Store.

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

i know its easy to tout the sheer volume of the app store - but, how many are actual worthwhile apps? i like to compare the app store with the wii market. something with mass market appeal is soiled with companies and developers alike trying to cash in on the hype and saturation - leading to crappy ports and half assed coding and development. not saying everything microsoft puts out in their market will be solid gold - far from it. but, to say the volume itself isn't exactly a fair one.

11. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not bad i guess, havent seen the UI at work but the design looks too brittle and the interface from the picture at Engaget looks too plain (that menu with just white text and a black background) - i sure hope it changes from that somewhere :rolleyes:

13. sdragon macrumors member

14. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

that is reason enough for me to get excited...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-zune-hd-xbox-marketplace,news-3992.html

15. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I am not a fan of the UI. The HD looks smaller then the touch though.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I would imagine if you buy an HD program on XBL, then you can download it to the Zune HD and play it there, or use the video output on the Zune to get 720p.

The way Apple does it now is that when you buy the HD, you get the SD to use on mobile devices.

More downloading on Apple, but the HD file will take up more space on a Zune.

Apple will eventually offer HD playback on the Touch/iPhone. Maybe on the 3G S with an update and the next generation Touch?

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sounds like an okay way to do it, but the HD movies would have to be compressed highly. say something like 10mbps might be the max, if you are trying to watch that on a massive screen (in a hotel) that wouldnt be THAT pretty.

19. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I agree. UI is horrible.

20. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

:eek: **runs for cover**

21. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

will have to wait and see, now my Pre does most of the stuff, Im not really sure if I want a new Zune, my flash 4G works fine so far.

Will have to wait for the reviews.

23. MBP09 macrumors member

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

25. RiCEADDiCTBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

not all info has been released yet. but, from what i've seen it warrants attention. i was expecting some negative feedback - duh, its an apple forum. i just wanted to share with you all nonetheless.