Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Apple have not even announced it yet, which means its not fully operational yet. Bit naughty to take the £/$/€ but its just a case of wait until its fully active or contact itunes store support and ask for a refund.

When it launched in the US, it was up and down for a while too.. mainly down to too many trying to subscribe. I am hoping this is just a case of a switch needing to be flicked or a formal all actions go from Apple. Clearly tho, they are in the process of activating the service!!!

StephenAcworth

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Not in Ottawa!!!

iTunes Match is now showing on the Canadian iTunes Store for $27.99 annually. Will be trying it out forthwith!

Fingers crossed... :)

**Update: Clicked on "Purchase", entered my password and immediately got a receipt from Apple. I had to go into my iTunes Store account settings to "Add this computer" for iTunes Match to appear in the side column. Here we go...

**Update2: After adding my computer for iTunes Match to be activated, iTunes tries to connect to the Store and I'm given an error and that I should try to sign out and then in again (which I've done to no avail.) My account does state that I'm now subscribed to Match however with an auto-renew set for Dec. 14th, 2012. Guess there are still a few kinks to work out...

Not in Ottawa it isn't... :confused:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
**Update2: After adding my computer for iTunes Match to be activated, iTunes tries to connect to the Store and I'm given an error and that I should try to sign out and then in again (which I've done to no avail.)

sound a lot like the issues during the US launch. Caused by everyone trying at the same time and killing the servers

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Wow, I really did just have a case of 'just take my money!!!'
Clicked the link, clicked subscribe now (without reading anything), loaded - bam!
Like many, not working yet, but they have my money ;-)

littleday

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
With iTunes Match, Apple has to make deals with the music labels or they won't allow it. The music labels are the ones causing the extra charges. If you look at the App Store, where Apple controls the prices, prices in Australia are on parity with the US. But on the iTunes store they're still 70% higher, because Apple has an agreement with the labels to charge $1.69/$2.19 per song, regardless of currency fluctuations

But that was my point exactly, why do these corporations (not apple) feel that we(australians) should have to pay more, and i am sure that if apple really cared about equality, they have enough power to manipulate these record companies into going the same price as everyone else in the world.Even tho most of Australia's major music labels are owned by America.

Dont get me wrong i love apple products, and i believe its worth paying more for apple products and services, just why can't we pay the same as what every other country is paying?

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
In preparation for this i am currently cleaning up any meta tags on songs that are a bit off. Looking forward to the service but with a large variety of music from around the world i am not looking forward to accuracy.

Anybody know if match will use non native country stores in the matching process by any chance? i have a lot of music that is valuable in other iTunes stores but not the UK store.

nuxx

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Tokyo
Although living in Tokyo, I have a UK store account. Can't see any iTunes Match listing in iTunes. I hope this is because the service is not fully operational in the UK yet rather than some exclusion based on IP address.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The Aussie dollar is roughly at parity with the US dollar now. Has been like that or worth more then the US dollar for a long time now. Though we are charged $10 more.

The only 2 explanations I can see why Apple is doing this are:

1. There are extra costs in Australia, ie the record labels being more picky with their charges to Apple. Or the cost to move Australian dollars into the US or another currency for the international banks they bank with has gone up.

2. Apple is getting greedy.

I do want to use this service a lot. But I'm going to wait till all the teething problems are sorted out. And it works well. The maim issue is too many people want to use the service and overloading the networks. I'm sure that's an issue many other companies want - lots of people using their services. :)

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
Although living in Tokyo, I have a UK store account. Can't see any iTunes Match listing in iTunes. I hope this is because the service is not fully operational in the UK yet rather than some exclusion based on IP address.

i think apple have caught on
an have removed it

:eek:

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
The icons are there!
Don't know how I get them all to show up on my iPad / iPhone though?

(UK account)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 03.13.20.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 03.13.20.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 160

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Ahhh, infamy at last! Ive been waiting on this moment all my life :D

"all your life" - really?

Wow, I really did just have a case of 'just take my money!!!'
Clicked the link, clicked subscribe now (without reading anything), loaded - bam!

Like many, not working yet, but they have my money ;-)

Cha-ching!

Apple is "getting" greedy? Look at their margins for the last 5 to 10 years - "greedy" is not new. Apple's been fleecing the sheep for quite some time.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
The only 2 explanations I can see why Apple is doing this are:

1. There are extra costs in Australia, ie the record labels being more picky with their charges to Apple. Or the cost to move Australian dollars into the US or another currency for the international banks they bank with has gone up.

Seeing how the app store prices are now the same as the US, I'd say it's more than likely the first option.

rochford

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2009
Too Many Songs

That's [very] annoying, I got a message saying I had too many songs.

“To participate in iTunes Match, your library must contain no more
than 25,000 songs that were not purchased from the iTunes Store.”

I have around 50k, but I thought it would let me select up to the 25k mark.
Apple should let me create a Playlist with the iCloud selection and link to that.
It seems absurd that a feature designed to provide ease of access for music
lovers across their various portable devices fails when they have too much.

I wonder what happens if you join up with 24k, and over time the collection
grows to 25k+, does the service just stop?

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand

Apple should let me create a Playlist with the iCloud selection and link to that.

so part from having too much music, its working for you?

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009

You could try duplicating your library (not music files just the library) and opening the copy, remove all the songs you don't want to cloud from the library (make sure not to choose the delete files option) then activate iCloud, close iTunes and reopen the main library.

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
so while i understand the point of itunes match im struggling to understand the finer detail.
i have music ranging from 128kbps to 320 AAC VBR. im slowly converting my music to higher rates, anything below that can be matched will be upgraded to 265 right? does that mean itunes will lower from 320 for the music i have, or only when i download it to ipad, iphone, another computer using itunes? also all my music is perfectly named as if it was brought of itunes basically, will it match it only if they are EXACTLY like they are in itunes? or will it roughly match it. for instance, on itunes florence and the machine is Florence + the machine, but i named mine with the "and" instead, will it match?
Thanks

Prohapps

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Seriously, if Apple wanted to be greedy they would've charged $50 globally.

if they manage to make something stable with iTunes Match it will all be worth it.

I imagine that the people that complain the most are probably the ones not paying for music to begin with.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
I'm more then happy to pay the $39.99 for a service which will upgrade some of my music.
and also give me the option to download the songs wherever i am on my iOS devlice

orcitis

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
iTunes match activation a glitch

Looks like iTunes Match will only work for US and Brazil accounts for the time being, Apple are refunding subscribers outside of these countries

http://twitpic.com/7te7ye/full

Attachments

• 472635590.png
    472635590.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 608

rochford

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2009
You could try duplicating your library (not music files just the library) and opening the copy, remove all the songs you don't want to cloud from the library (make sure not to choose the delete files option) then activate iCloud, close iTunes and reopen the main library.

Not a bad suggestion Kurosov, worth a try, thanks. Still it's a work around, shame it's not built in to the basic concept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.