Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:11 PM   #1
firstapple
macrumors 6502a
 
firstapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Picture threads - Photo of the Day, Assignments, Monthly Critique, Weekly Contest

Photo of the Day


Weekly Photo Contest

Winner listed

Assignments

Monthly Photo Critique Threads
__________________
64GB iPhone 5s | 64GB iPad Mini Retina (Wifi) | Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Gen | Nikon D7000
27" Alum iMac 2.7GHz i5 12GB RAM 1TB HD | 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB RAM

Last edited by firstapple; Jul 22, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
firstapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
firstapple
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
firstapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I would like to open this sticky up for discussion a little bit so we can form some new/better guidelines in order for our contests to run a little smoother.

Some ideas from my end (coming from another forum that I am part of):

1. I don't think we should say "must start on Sunday and end Saturday", or anything of that sort. It should stay as a weekly contest, meaning from the first day the OP posts the next contest thread there will be 7 days until the contest closes. The judge should be given at least 48 hours in which to claim the winner. Then, the winner of that contest has 72 hours to post the next thread. If 72 hours pass and there is no new contest thread, then the #2 choice will be the one who has to start the next thread (and the #1 loses their turn) - which brings me to my next point.

2. The judge should list at least the top three pictures, and why they chose those three.

3. If someone wants their submission critiqued they should paste an asterisk next to the title of the picture. Yes, it is true that this may clutter up the thread, but I think it is important that everything gets critiqued and not only the best ones. People need to know why their photo wasn't considered the best.

4. Instead of option #3 above we could also do the following: I know there has been a critiquing thread that has been started. Individuals who would want critiquing could simply post their picture in our weekly contest and also in the critiquing thread. Then the individual could link to the critiquing thread in order for their picture to be commented on. Personally I don't like this idea, as I think it would make too much work for everyone going back and forth. The judge should try their hardest not too be swayed by what others say.

5. The contest shouldn't leave out people under 50 posts. If the picture is good, the picture is good! There should be no rules as to who can and cannot win. Just because someone won a few weeks ago shouldn't mean they can't win again any time soon. I say we try to keep this contest as open as possible, that way we can get more and more participation from everyone.

6. As for using the same topic we have already used as a contest, I would say that would be fine, as we already have quite a long list of topics. However, doing so could get boring over time, and it is always fun to try and capture new things and not the same thing over and over again. If the winner cannot think of a new topic they should visit some photography forums to get some ideas, and if all else fails then repeat a topic.

7. I don't think we should copy paste every single past contest into the first post of each contest. To me this doesn't really make much sense, I say just copy over the rules and that should be good enough. The sticky here will be the best place to track all of the contests, etc...

Please reply with what you think and what can be made better so things can run a little smoother here! All ideas are welcome and we can decide as a group what we want.
__________________
64GB iPhone 5s | 64GB iPad Mini Retina (Wifi) | Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Gen | Nikon D7000
27" Alum iMac 2.7GHz i5 12GB RAM 1TB HD | 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB RAM

Last edited by firstapple; Oct 14, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
firstapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
mattw126
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
I think they're good ideas overall. I'll comment specifically on #7 because I brought it up. The reason I thought we should have something like that in place is so that it doesn't take four days for the winner to simply paste the rules and throw out an idea for the next contest.

Quote:
I say just copy over the rules and that should be good enough.

I disagree, I think a link to this page should be included as well now that you've compiled the list of past contests. Thanks again. The winner can see what's been done, and get the next thread rolling not long after learning that they've won.
__________________
17" MBP 2.5GHz Penryn 4 GB RAM + 24" Dell Display 1 TB Time Capsule 4 GB iPod Nano (3rd G)
mattw126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Phrasikleia
macrumors 68040
 
Phrasikleia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Over there------->
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstapple View Post
3. If someone wants their submission critiqued they should paste an asterisk next to the title of the picture. Yes, it is true that this may clutter up the thread, but I think it is important that everything gets critiqued and not only the best ones. People need to know why their photo wasn't considered the best.

4. Instead of option #3 above we could also do the following: I know there has been a critiquing thread that has been started. Individuals who would want critiquing could simply post their picture in our weekly contest and also in the critiquing thread. Then the individual could link to the critiquing thread in order for their picture to be commented on. Personally I don't like this idea, as I think it would make too much work for everyone going back and forth. The judge should try their hardest not too be swayed by what others say.
Making the contest into a critique thread by law is a bad idea. We've had a few good weeks and some very generous judges, but if you make the thing too much of a chore, fewer people will want to participate. Having to judge and to critique all of the asterisked entries is a lot of work. Keep it simple.

I'm OK with your other suggestions.
Phrasikleia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601
 
mrgreen4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstapple View Post
I would like to open this sticky up for discussion a little bit so we can form some new/better guidelines in order for our contests to run a little smoother.

Some ideas from my end (coming from another forum that I am part of):

1. I don't think we should say "must start on Sunday and end Saturday", or anything of that sort. It should stay as a weekly contest, meaning from the first day the OP posts the next contest thread there will be 7 days until the contest closes. The judge should be given at least 48 hours in which to claim the winner. Then, the winner of that contest has 72 hours to post the next thread. If 72 hours pass and there is no new contest thread, then the #2 choice will be the one who has to start the next thread (and the #1 loses their turn) - which brings me to my next point.
So you're saying contests should run for up to 12+ days? I think I like the idea of doing 52 contests a year, one a week, and just trying to get some suggested timelines to make sure a contest starts and finishes in a 8 day time period, personally.
__________________
Mac Pro 4,1, 8x2.26ghz, 10gb, 128gb SSD, 2x750gb (RAID1), 2tb, ATI6750
iPad air 64gb wifi - 16gb iPhone 5s - AppleTV3
mrgreen4242 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
firstapple
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
firstapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I apologize all for not keeping up with my duties here... Has been a tough beginning of the year for me, but I hope to stay up to date on this from now on.

*EDIT* All Updated now!
__________________
64GB iPhone 5s | 64GB iPad Mini Retina (Wifi) | Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Gen | Nikon D7000
27" Alum iMac 2.7GHz i5 12GB RAM 1TB HD | 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB RAM

Last edited by firstapple; May 4, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
firstapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
jbernie
macrumors 6502a
 
jbernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Something to put out to the group:

For the Weekly Contest.. would anyone else like to have the theme appear in the subject line going forward?
__________________
Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale!
ibernie.com
jbernie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Chappers
macrumors 68020
 
Chappers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At home
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernie View Post
Something to put out to the group:

For the Weekly Contest.. would anyone else like to have the theme appear in the subject line going forward?
I like the idea
Chappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:23 AM   #9
TheReef
macrumors 68000
 
TheReef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NSW, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernie View Post
Something to put out to the group:

For the Weekly Contest.. would anyone else like to have the theme appear in the subject line going forward?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
I like the idea
Sounds good, I'll change it for this week's one and see how people like it.

I opted for this style:

Weekly Photo Contest: Reflection (August 18 - 25)

Do people like this, or any other suggestions?…it'd be nice to keep the style consistent for future threads.

EDIT: also took out first line, which is a repeat of the thread title, hope that's ok.
__________________
Swing by my gallery - Photos by Reef
TheReef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:21 AM   #10
firstapple
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
firstapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Hey all,

I have been kinda lacking lately (OK, for awhile) in updating this... I apologize but would like to say, I am going to catch up today. Been extremely hectic here at work the past few months.
__________________
64GB iPhone 5s | 64GB iPad Mini Retina (Wifi) | Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Gen | Nikon D7000
27" Alum iMac 2.7GHz i5 12GB RAM 1TB HD | 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB RAM
firstapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:56 AM   #11
firstapple
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
firstapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Ok, I am done updating the thread now with all winners and threads!

I wanted to know if I should also add in the "Fortnightly Challenges"?
__________________
64GB iPhone 5s | 64GB iPad Mini Retina (Wifi) | Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Gen | Nikon D7000
27" Alum iMac 2.7GHz i5 12GB RAM 1TB HD | 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB RAM
firstapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 01:11 AM   #12
Chappers
macrumors 68020
 
Chappers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At home
Here are the current rules:-

Weekly Photo Contest : Title
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.


Over my time entering and supporting the thread I've noticed a few things.
1. People not reading the rules (especially number 3 that I've moved to number 2)
2. People not fully understanding the rules - not everyone has English as their first language.

So I say lets make it simple. I know there are now 6 rules but I hoped to make them shorter and clearer

Weekly Photo Contest : Title
Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo

2. Do not comment on photos in this thread

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, see time stamp of the first post in the thread (made by previous week's winner).

4. The Judge will chose the winner at the end of one week and provide as much feed back as possible.

5. The Winner starts a new thread with their topic/theme (and these rules)

6. Judges and Winners have 48 hours to return.

Last edited by Chappers; Dec 11, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Chappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 01:17 PM   #13
deep diver
macrumors 6502a
 
deep diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Solon, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
Here are the current rules:-

Weekly Photo Contest : Title
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.


Over my time entering and supporting the thread I've noticed a few things.
1. People not reading the rules (especially number 3 that I've moved to number 2)
2. People not fully understanding the rules - not everyone has English as their first language.

So I say lets make it simple. I know there are now 6 rules but I hoped to make them shorter and clearer

Weekly Photo Contest : Title
Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo

2. Do not comment on photos in this thread

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, see time stamp of the first post in the thread (made by previous week's winner).

4. The Judge will chose the winner at the end of one week and provide as much feed back as possible.

5. The Winner starts a new thread with their topic/theme (and these rules)

6. Judges and Winners have 48 hours to return.
I like the briefer and more direct language that Chappers suggests. I would change #6 a little and add #7:

6. Judge has 24 hours to return, after which the previous week's 2nd place winner will have 24 hours. If neither shows then the contest will be judged by the first person to volunteer.
(I am only giving 24 hours because I think the judge should be monitoring his/her own thread, and can call a one day extension when "life happens.")

7. The winner will have 48 hours to post a new thread after which the 2nd place winner will have 24 hours to post. If neither one shows then the responsibilities will go to the first volunteer.
deep diver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
needlnerdz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
Here are the current rules:-

Weekly Photo Contest : Title
Rules:

1. You may enter only one photo

2. Do not comment on photos in this thread

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, see time stamp of the first post in the thread (made by previous week's winner).

4. The Judge will chose the winner at the end of one week and provide as much feed back as possible.

5. The Winner starts a new thread with their topic/theme (and these rules)

6. Judges and Winners have 48 hours to return.
- I too am a fan of the shorter language, and I think we can incorporate your suggestions deep diver, while maintaining brief statements. I prepose the following suggestions:

------------

Weekly Photo Contest (Date - Date) - *topic here*

1. You may enter only one photo.

2. Do not comment on photos in this thread until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest will run for exactly one week, starting from the time stamp of this here post.

4. The Judge will chose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner at the end of one week and provide as much feedback as possible.

5. The Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.

6. At the end of the week, Judges will have 24 hours to make a decision and Winners will have 48 hours to post the new contest.

Previous contests can be found here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=580184

And these rules are to be attached to the top of every thread. Good luck!

--------------

yes... no? cooking up a theme now..
needlnerdz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 04:04 PM   #15
needlnerdz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: switzerland
Oh yeah- I hate to add another rule to the mix, but maybe this can be added to a current one...

Photos must be uploaded to MR forum.


The reason i say this, is when looking back at some of the previous contests, there are far too many 'sorry this picture is unavailable' images that were once hosted on flickr. maybe the person took down their account, or renamed the image, or or... but it's a shame that they go poof from the archive. Therefore maybe images can be hosted in alternative ways, but having them all posted within the forum here will definitely provide the longest term survival. Anyone agree + which rule this should be added to? .. maybe the first?
needlnerdz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:27 PM   #16
needlnerdz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: switzerland
Hey folks, sorry to say I bit the bullet after waiting for a reply. I've stuck to the basic rules and written them as short and simple as possible. Hopefully they are easy to follow and clearly decided upon by the next contest.
needlnerdz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:55 PM   #17
Chappers
macrumors 68020
 
Chappers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At home
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlnerdz View Post
Hey folks, sorry to say I bit the bullet after waiting for a reply. I've stuck to the basic rules and written them as short and simple as possible. Hopefully they are easy to follow and clearly decided upon by the next contest.
Good job on the new rules - I mostly like them but can we change the word "refrain" to "do not" - its the most common rule to be broken so I made it more direct. You currently have the power to change the thread.

Cheers
Chappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:12 PM   #18
needlnerdz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
Good job on the new rules - I mostly like them but can we change the word "refrain" to "do not" - its the most common rule to be broken so I made it more direct. You currently have the power to change the thread.

Cheers

Sure- it's changed.. I had it as 'do not' for a while.. but it sounds overly authoritarian, especially after saying 'only one..' - but refrain is hardly everyday language even if it sounds more polite... soo 'do not' it is. cheers
needlnerdz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:38 AM   #19
Chappers
macrumors 68020
 
Chappers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At home
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlnerdz View Post
Sure- it's changed.. I had it as 'do not' for a while.. but it sounds overly authoritarian, especially after saying 'only one..' - but refrain is hardly everyday language even if it sounds more polite... soo 'do not' it is. cheers
Yes it is a bit authoritarian but I think your addition of the word "Please" is a good thing. I didn't want to be rude - just direct.

Last edited by Chappers; Dec 12, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
Chappers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:43 AM   #20
dmmcintyre3
macrumors 68020
 
dmmcintyre3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
How about making the original post a guide so anybody can edit it instead of just 1 person doing it? Might keep it more updated.
__________________
FreeVPS.us
dmmcintyre3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:11 AM   #21
willamtarker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Thanks for the list of links of nice picture threads. I appreciate your effort and time you spent to gather and post this information. Thank you.
__________________
IFA Marketing services
willamtarker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:59 AM   #22
ClamsJager
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
how about a self portriat for one?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15-inch
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM,500GB HD
Nikon D40x, Nikon D5000DX, huge assortment of lenses.
ClamsJager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:51 PM   #23
AxelMonkey
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Oregon
i think we should open new "monthly critique threads" since there seems to be alot of new photographers out there, yeah?
__________________
][27" iMac, 2.8 Ghz, 8 GB Ram, 1TB HD] [32GB Ipod Touch][Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP w/ EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens; w/ EF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 IS TelephotoZoom]
AxelMonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:39 AM   #24
elan123
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcintyre3 View Post
How about making the original post a guide so anybody can edit it instead of just 1 person doing it? Might keep it more updated.
Good call ... from a year ago
elan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 PM   #25
firstapple
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
firstapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I got a PM about updating this thread (since it has been like 3 years). I have now subscribed to this thread with weekly notifications so that I remember to keep it updated. I will start working on updating my original post tonight and let's see how far I get...

* EDIT 1: Photo of the day threads all up to date through January 2013 *

** EDIT 2: Making my way through the Weekly Photo Contest threads, I am into the middle of 2011... **

*** EDIT 3: All Done!!! Ended up adding almost 150 "Weekly Photo Contest" threads and probably 40 "Photo of the Day" threads. Hopefully I linked everything up correctly and got all the winners right! ***
__________________
64GB iPhone 5s | 64GB iPad Mini Retina (Wifi) | Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Gen | Nikon D7000
27" Alum iMac 2.7GHz i5 12GB RAM 1TB HD | 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB RAM

Last edited by firstapple; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
firstapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekly Photo Contest: May 2 - May 9 (Connect) Neur0genesis Digital Photography 26 May 11, 2014 03:58 PM
Weekly Photo Contest Votes ijohn.8.80 Site and Forum Feedback 4 Aug 30, 2013 04:24 AM
Weekly Photo Contest: Mar 22-Mar 29 (Theme: Beautiful Day) Stinja Digital Photography 57 Apr 5, 2013 05:03 PM
Weekly Photo Contest - Sept 27 - Oct 4 (Theme: A day at the races) imac wannabe Digital Photography 19 Oct 8, 2012 07:06 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC