Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
I have this same set on a Keychron Q12. I really like the way they look and feel. I keep thinking about moving them to my current "main" keyboard instead. Will post a picture of my current primary keyboard in a moment.
I love them! They were out of stock for a while, then I got the email saying they were back in stock, so I ordered right away. Now I have 4 sets of keycaps.šŸ˜ A new set every month, šŸ˜

On another note, how are you remapping the keys? I have an M3 Max and as I understand that I would need Chrome to get the VIA/QMK software. Is this correct? I thought I could just download software and go from there. I tried yesterday, but Safari isnā€™t supported.. what am I doing wrong? I hope I donā€™t need Chrome..

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I love them! They were out of stock for a while, then I got the email saying they were back in stock, so I ordered right away. Now I have 4 sets of keycaps.šŸ˜ A new set every month, šŸ˜

On another note, how are you remapping the keys? I have an M3 Max and as I understand that I would need Chrome to get the VIA/QMK software. Is this correct? I thought I could just download software and go from there. I tried yesterday, but Safari isnā€™t supported.. what am I doing wrong? I hope I donā€™t need Chrome..
There's two ways. There's an online version but it requires a browser that has direct USB access, so it needs to be Chromium-based. I use Edge, but Chrome works, too. Safari doesn't permit direct USB access, so it's a no-go.

There's also a downloadable, self-contained app, but not sure if it's just a Windows-only app or if there's a Mac version. This version, however, is just an Electron (Chromium) wrapper for the online version.

There was a an older executable version for both Mac and Windows, but it's been long since discontinued and I don't think it'll support the newer keyboards, even with a .json file.

So if you don't want all the garbage that comes along with installing Chrome on your machine, you can install Edge and use that. VIA is pretty much the only thing I use Edge for on my Mac with the exception of some work-related bookmark syncing (forced to use Windows Edge at work).

Reactions: kgphotos

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
There's two ways. There's an online version but it requires a browser that has direct USB access, so it needs to be Chromium-based. I use Edge, but Chrome works, too. Safari doesn't permit direct USB access, so it's a no-go.

There's also a downloadable, self-contained app, but not sure if it's just a Windows-only app or if there's a Mac version. This version, however, is just an Electron (Chromium) wrapper for the online version.

There was a an older executable version for both Mac and Windows, but it's been long since discontinued and I don't think it'll support the newer keyboards, even with a .json file.

So if you don't want all the garbage that comes along with installing Chrome on your machine, you can install Edge and use that. VIA is pretty much the only thing I use Edge for on my Mac with the exception of some work-related bookmark syncing (forced to use Windows Edge at work).
Thank you. Yea, I donā€™t want Chrome, so Iā€™ll just use Edge. I followed the instructions to access VIA via Keychronā€™s userā€™s guide. I think it said canvia.com? I donā€™t have the guide in front of me right now. And that site didnā€™t list the K10 Pro as being compatible. Iā€™ll try again with Edge and see how that goes.

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
The spacebar on my Q2 Max is still the bane of my existence. The stabs kept developing a rattle even after lubing them 3 times, so I think there's something more going on. I took apart the keyboard and put some medical tape on the ends of the wire. The rattle might be gone but I think I put too much tape on them so now it feels a little squishy and the key chatter is worse again. This is only my second mechanical keyboard and the first that I've tried tuning or modding stabs on. Clearly I still have a lot to learn. If lube doesn't fix things, do you guys recommend mods or getting better stabs for the keyboard? I might try one more time with plumbers tape but I just didn't have that on hand so I improvised. I wanted to see what might happen though I understand it won't be the same as actual plumbers tape.

Edit: Also I wanted to find out whether the rattle comes back after some time once I mod and re-lube the stabs, so I knew it was going to be an experiment that may or may not work. I don't think I can leave it this way for too long though.

Reactions: drumcat

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thank you. Yea, I donā€™t want Chrome, so Iā€™ll just use Edge. I followed the instructions to access VIA via Keychronā€™s userā€™s guide. I think it said canvia.com? I donā€™t have the guide in front of me right now. And that site didnā€™t list the K10 Pro as being compatible. Iā€™ll try again with Edge and see how that goes.
The K Pro series is most definitely compatible with VIA.

It must be connected via USB, however. Canā€™t use VIA over Bluetooth.

You might need a json file. Itā€™ll be on keychronā€™s website.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The spacebar on my Q2 Max is still the bane of my existence. The stabs kept developing a rattle even after lubing them 3 times, so I think there's something more going on. I took apart the keyboard and put some medical tape on the ends of the wire. The rattle might be gone but I think I put too much tape on them so now it feels a little squishy and the key chatter is worse again. This is only my second mechanical keyboard and the first that I've tried tuning or modding stabs on. Clearly I still have a lot to learn. If lube doesn't fix things, do you guys recommend mods or getting better stabs for the keyboard? I might try one more time with plumbers tape but I just didn't have that on hand so I improvised. I wanted to see what might happen though I understand it won't be the same as actual plumbers tape.

Edit: Also I wanted to find out whether the rattle comes back after some time once I mod and re-lube the stabs, so I knew it was going to be an experiment that may or may not work. I don't think I can leave it this way for too long though.
Definitely don't over-lube. It'll get all gummy and it'll be worse than no lube at all.

If careful lubrication doesn't help, and the ever-popular bandaid mod that's floating around the internet doesn't help, you might just need to replace it. While I think the stock stabs on the higher-end Keychrons are better than most mass-produced keyboards, they can't really compete with hand-tuned aftermarket ones.

Reactions: Lyoha

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
I checked out some YouTube videos comparing different aftermarket stabs and decided to order some Staebies. Weā€™ll see how those work

Reactions: xraydoc

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Since the Ergo Trackball was discussed up thread I have a problem report, and a save.

For some reason, probably dirt, the scroll wheel stopped working. I have had a long track record of the Logitech M570 trackballs only lasting a year or so at the end I was not a happy camper. I got the idea of hosing the area down with Caig Deoxit Gold. a cleaner lubricant specially designed for issues like this. I switch to a mouse and let Ergo sit overnight this morning it is working perfectly. I wonder how many of the old M570's I could have fixed if I had had G5 Gold to hose them down with.

g5s-6-f_bfeec317-48cc-4044-b792-6591286d5946_1024x1024.jpg

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am going to get an iPad Pro when the M3 version becomes available, in March? The overpriced magic keyboard for it is totally out of consideration. But I was looking at the low profile Keychrons and they look like they would be the proper keyboard for an iPad. The K3 Pro QMK/VIA wireless looks good.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 17.35.11.png

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
According to Keychron this K3 is switchable between 3 pairings. Is there a "Q" all metal version of this keyboard? 3 devices would be ideal, Mac Studio, iPad pro, and the Kamuri Mini PC. With the Q12 I realize just how little I did use the numbers pad on a keyboard.

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
According to Keychron this K3 is switchable between 3 pairings. Is there a "Q" all metal version of this keyboard? 3 devices would be ideal, Mac Studio, iPad pro, and the Kamuri Mini PC. With the Q12 I realize just how little I did use the numbers pad on a keyboard.
I'm thinking the Keychron you're looking at will be higher quality than the one I chose (K5 SE). I guess the non-pro Keychrons aren't quite up to snuff. At first I really liked it, but it wore badly and Keychron didn't offer any help in repairing it.

FWIW - I recently got a Nuphy. I think if you want low profile (as I do), it's at least worth checking out Nuphy before you land on a final choice. The build quality is definitely higher than my Keychron. YMMV.

Reactions: transmaster

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Is there a "Q" all metal version of this keyboard?
There is. It's called the S1. They never made any other models in the S-series, and the current S1 is wired-only. No BT or 2.4GHz RF.

Nuphy makes some decent low-profile keyboards (the Air series). The version 2 of the Air series have VIA/QMK support, and I'd personally never buy another keyboard that didn't have VIA support. They have hot swappable switches and Nuphy offers a nice variety of switch options (several different varieties of house-branded linear and tactile switches, plus the usual Gateron low-profile red/brown/blue). They also offer several solid and shine-through keycap options. I have a Nuphy Air96 that I sometimes use on my iPad Pro and my Mac, and I've ordered another one to use at the office.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The Nuphy Air96 is just what I was looking for. Switches; It looks like the Wisteria 55gf switch is what I would want. But is one of the other choices is a better one. I assume it comes with Windows, and macOS keycaps. I will order it with the beechwood palm rest.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 07.31.47.png

Reactions: drumcat

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The Nuphy Air96 is just what I was looking for. Switches; It looks like the Wisteria 55gf switch is what I would want. But is one of the other choices is a better one. I assume it comes with Windows, and macOS keycaps. I will order it with the beechwood palm rest.

View attachment 2350279
So you know, expect the shipping time to be REALLY long. Like close to three weeks. That's just how it works with Nuphy.

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia

View attachment 2350279
I have one but I donā€™t use it. Itā€™s nice but just not my style. Iā€™m thinking about selling it but I donā€™t know any keyword enthusiasts around me who would want it.

Edit: mine is the V1 so itā€™s not QMK/VIA compatible. I have both red switches and wisteria switches, and I have the wooden palm rest, along with an extra set of keycaps that I got with my preorder when they first released this keyboard. I only ever used it twice before going back to my high profile Keychron.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have one but I donā€™t use it. Itā€™s nice but just not my style. Iā€™m thinking about selling it but I donā€™t know any keyword enthusiasts around me who would want it.

Edit: mine is the V1 so itā€™s not QMK/VIA compatible. I have both red switches and wisteria switches, and I have the wooden palm rest, along with an extra set of keycaps that I got with my preorder when they first released this keyboard. I only ever used it twice before going back to my high profile Keychron.
I took umbrage in what you said. I decided that why mess with a good thing. I have 2 Keychron keyboards, and I like both of them. The only downside of the Q12 is it is not wireless. so I ordered the Q1 Pro with Keychron Banana switches.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 09.44.54.png

Last edited:
Reactions: fp99 and rocketbuc

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I took umbrage in what you said. I decided that why mess with a good thing. I have 2 Keychron keyboards, and I like both of them. The only downside of the Q12 is it is not wireless. so I ordered the Q1 Pro with Banana switches.

View attachment 2350312
For included switches, the Keychron Bananas are remarkably good. I'm not sure what they're based off of or if they're manufactured only for Keychron (with no matching switch in Gateron's lineup), but you'll like them if you're a tactile switch guy. I took them off my Q5 Pro and put them in my Q2. Replacing the keycaps on the Q2 when the new ones arrive (hopefully Monday) and will probably use that for a while. Love my Q5 Pro but sometimes I bump the numpad with the mouse.

One day I'll find the perfect keyboard (ok, no I won't).

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
As I look over the coming Q1 Pro I am thinking that I should have ditched the number pad a long time ago. With the number pad on the left side of the Q12 I realized how little I actually needed it. I have always switched back-n-forth between the number keys and the keypad. But texting with an iPhone has really broken me of that habit.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
As I look over the coming Q1 Pro I am thinking that I should have ditched the number pad a long time ago. With the number pad on the left side of the Q12 I realized how little I actually needed it. I have always switched back-n-forth between the number keys and the keypad. But texting with an iPhone has really broken me of that habit.
I go back and forth. I actually use the numpad frequently when working, often typing long medical record numbers which I can do much faster on with a numpad. But I'm also not very tall, so reaching way over to the right to use the mouse is sometimes uncomfortable (I prefer the mouse more right in front than far off to the side).

The 96% keyboards are way better than the full 108-key keyboards, that's for sure, but still require some reach. I also have a Q12 and while it's an excellent keyboard, and I don't have too much trouble using the numpad with my left hand, it's not quite as comfortable typing on the keypad as keeping it on the right. I do keep the Q12 on my WFH PC, however, so it's not useless. But for my personal Mac, I may start drifting away from keyboards with a numpad, like my Q1, Q2 and V3. I have a Nuphy Gem80 on order (a TLK like the V3), so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm just miserable and nothing makes me happy. Separate numpads are fine, but then I just say to myself, "it would be nice if this were attached and only required one cable..." And they still get in the way.

What I really need is a longer right arm, then I'd be fine with a 100%.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I go back and forth. I actually use the numpad frequently when working, often typing long medical record numbers which I can do much faster on with a numpad. But I'm also not very tall, so reaching way over to the right to use the mouse is sometimes uncomfortable (I prefer the mouse more right in front than far off to the side).

The 96% keyboards are way better than the full 108-key keyboards, that's for sure, but still require some reach. I also have a Q12 and while it's an excellent keyboard, and I don't have too much trouble using the numpad with my left hand, it's not quite as comfortable typing on the keypad as keeping it on the right. I do keep the Q12 on my WFH PC, however, so it's not useless. But for my personal Mac, I may start drifting away from keyboards with a numpad, like my Q1, Q2 and V3. I have a Nuphy Gem80 on order (a TLK like the V3), so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm just miserable and nothing makes me happy. Separate numpads are fine, but then I just say to myself, "it would be nice if this were attached and only required one cable..." And they still get in the way.

What I really need is a longer right arm, then I'd be fine with a 100%.
I completely understand. For years my ideal keyboard was the one I started with the old IBM keyboards. Their tactile response and sound was my benchmark. When mechanical keyboards more or less disappeared I was searching for a keyboard that emulated it. I had no idea they were still made by Unicomp. Now I have found a modern replacement. I will never again own a keyboard that does not have hot swappable key switches.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Found this on YouTube. This is a Drop CSTM 80 keyboard. I am not interested in the keyboard but I want to know where I can get these keycaps. This keyboard uses Gateron, and Cherry switches so these caps will fit my Keychron's.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 06.26.31.png

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The Drop website linked me in to other places and it was jaw dropping. I never found a source for the keycaps above. But I found so much more. Drop has 142 different keycap's listed, Keebmonkey even more.

One set of keycaps was Japanese Anime themed, I am into Anime but not like this.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 06.58.12.png

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.