Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just checked and macOS does have a security feature that prevents passive pairing this is to deter "man in the middle" attacks. So you cannot just pair a keyboard the way it works on the PC. As long as that is the way it is I am OK with it.
I mean, I've got some multi-connection devices and I've never had a problem using them on my Mac, unless something has changed in Sonoma. I'll try pairing a Nuphy keyboard to both my Mac and to my PC later today...

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I mean, I've got some multi-connection devices and I've never had a problem using them on my Mac, unless something has changed in Sonoma. I'll try pairing a Nuphy keyboard to both my Mac and to my PC later today...
This is strange, but completely repeatable. I might call Apple support and see what they say.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
OK I checked it out, you can pair a BT keyboard with multiple PC's, or Android devices, also multiple macOS/iOS devices but not both at the same time. I have an unused USB switch I can use to switch between the Mac, and the PC. What I can also do is leave the Q1 plugged into the PC for a wired connection and charging and use it wirelessly on the Mac, I just need to switch the keyboard back in forth.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have an odd thing going on with my Q1. I keep getting uncommanded periods inserted in my typing. I have carefully kept my hand free of the period key. However checking the action of that period key it seems that very little travel needed to activate it, so given the position of my right hand it would not take much given the short travel to hit it accidently. I have Keychron Bananas on the Q1. What would you suggest as a replacement.

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
I have an odd thing going on with my Q1. I keep getting uncommanded periods inserted in my typing. I have carefully kept my hand free of the period key. However checking the action of that period key it seems that very little travel needed to activate it, so given the position of my right hand it would not take much given the short travel to hit it accidently. I have Keychron Bananas on the Q1. What would you suggest as a replacement.
You can try swapping the switches between two keys to see if it's a faulty switch or the PCB. If it's just one faulty switch, it's always good to have some extras, but I don't think Keychron sent me any extras with my Q2 Max. I did buy an extra set to try in other keyboards so I have spares from my separate purchase. If you want to replace all of them, Gazzew's Boba U4T switches are excellent and similar to the bananas, though they are on the pricey side. I replaced my spacebar banana switch with a U4T to avoid key chatter.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I just got a K10 Pro and am loving it, it certainly has the nostalgia factor for me. I'm about to delve into the land of keycap sets (if some ever come back in stock), but until then I have a somewhat random question. In some pictures I've seen online, it looks like the 4 macro keys and switches in the upper right have been replaced by a flat decorative cover with various designs. Is this a thing and if so where can you find those?

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Hey @Sital . I have the K10 Pro and love it. Which model did you get? I got the white with RGB backlight. Are you referring to the keys above the num pad? Those keys come with it. I have a few sets of keycaps- all Keychron and those keys are different. You can search my posts here to see what have.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Hey @Sital . I have the K10 Pro and love it. Which model did you get? I got the white with RGB backlight. Are you referring to the keys above the num pad? Those keys come with it. I have a few sets of keycaps- all Keychron and those keys are different. You can search my posts here to see what have.
I have the black with RGB backlight. Yes, I'm referring to the keys above the number pad, but I don't mean different keycaps. I thought I'd seen a couple of pics where those keycaps and switches have been removed and a badge installed there, like on this Keynovo keyboard.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 6.22.18 AM.png

I'm just wondering if there's anything like that for the Keychron.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2017
Hmm…That’s interesting. I don’t know about that. I never seen that on a Keychron, but I’m not as knowledgeable on these as some other people are on this forum. Maybe someone else here knows.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have the black with RGB backlight. Yes, I'm referring to the keys above the number pad, but I don't mean different keycaps. I thought I'd seen a couple of pics where those keycaps and switches have been removed and a badge installed there, like on this Keynovo keyboard.

View attachment 2364313

I'm just wondering if there's anything like that for the Keychron.
I've not seen anything like that for the Keychron keyboards. I suppose if you had access to a 3D printer, you could make one, but I'm not aware that such things are sold at retail.

Reactions: Sital

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I might have found a replacement for my beloved Keychron keyboards...

I received today the Nuphy Gem80 that I ordered last week, and finished putting it together about two hours ago. Man, does this thing sound and feel amazing. I'm using the Nuphy/Gateron Raspberry switches and the stock case foams and keycaps. I am very, very impressed!

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I swapped switches on the Q1 to see about the errant period insertion issue I have with this keyboard. I exchanged the the F4 with the period which and the problem has disappeared. These Keychron Banana switches have the flimsiest contact pins I have yet seen on the Switches I have. The Gateron switches are much better. I am going to change them all out.

Reactions: Lyoha

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I might have found a replacement for my beloved Keychron keyboards...

I received today the Nuphy Gem80 that I ordered last week, and finished putting it together about two hours ago. Man, does this thing sound and feel amazing. I'm using the Nuphy/Gateron Raspberry switches and the stock case foams and keycaps. I am very, very impressed!
Replying to my own post...
After several hours of use, I decided that the Nuphy Raspberry switches were just too light for me. Couldn't get used to them despite how nice they sounded and how smooth they felt. Replaced them with Gateron Oil Kings and I'm much, much happier. Still super smooth, still sounds great (slightly deeper tone), but has 55g springs instead of the Raspberry's 46g spring, so no more fat-finger typos. Coming from heavier tactiles, the light-ish linears were just too light.

This keyboard is really so amazingly nice, especially with the Gat Oil King switches, that I kind of want to get another one for the office!

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Is anyone using magnetic switches. They sound really interesting. Apparently only the Gateron Double-Rail Magnetic switch will work on a KeyChron, and it is unclear if they are available right now. These are Hall effect switches so I am not sure why only the Gateron switch will work.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I still occasionally have the errant period inserted. But the fact is was greatly reduced by swapping the 2 switches makes me think changing out the Keychron Bananas is the fix. Any suggestion for a tactiel switch. Looking at the available choices I am wondering about the Baby Kangaroo 2.0 switch. This switch is medium cliquey

This is what is attracting me.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 15.47.49.png

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Curious, a full set is 110 switches, my Q1 Pro is a 75%, with 84 keys. I am thinking that even though I don't need all of 110 switches it is a good thing to have in your extra switch stash. I am big on part stashes.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Is anyone using magnetic switches. They sound really interesting. Apparently only the Gateron Double-Rail Magnetic switch will work on a KeyChron, and it is unclear if they are available right now. These are Hall effect switches so I am not sure why only the Gateron switch will work.

Magnetic Hall effect switches only work on keyboards specifically designed for them. They won't even fit in a regular mechanical keyboard (different socket), nor would they work even if the socket was the same, so you'd need a whole new keyboard.

These, I believe, are Gateron's first Hall effect switches, so I'm sure they're making sure they're right before releasing them. Hence the delays in Keychron releasing their Q1HE.

You can get HE keyboards from other vendors like Wooting, however.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I still occasionally have the errant period inserted. But the fact is was greatly reduced by swapping the 2 switches makes me think changing out the Keychron Bananas is the fix. Any suggestion for a tactiel switch. Looking at the available choices I am wondering about the Baby Kangaroo 2.0 switch. This switch is medium cliquey

This is what is attracting me.

View attachment 2366529
The Baby Kangaroos aren't clickly; there's no click bar or click leaf like in an MX Blue or Box Jade. They are top-heavy tactile switches like Glorious Pandas, K Pro Banana and Gateron Jupiter Banana. But they do make a nice, deep sound when bottoming out, which is their special feature.

The difference between the Baby Kangaroo originals (1.0) and the Baby Kangaroo 2.0 is that the 2.0's have different pin manufacturing (as illustrated in your diagram) and they have the same LED diffuser window as the K Pro and Gateron Jupiter line of switches. But otherwise the BBK 1.0's and the BBK 2.0's are identical.

My son gave me the Gateron Jupiter Bananas out of his V1 Max as he wanted silent linear switches which are not available as factory options from Keychron; we used Outemu Mute Peach for his keyboard, which he loves, BTW.

The Gateron Jupiter Bananas and the Keychron K Pro Bananas are not the same. They're close, yes, but the Jupiter Bananas have a slightly stiffer spring and sound a bit deeper.

The Baby Kangaroo and the Jupiter Bananas, however, are nearly identical. I think the factory lube on the Baby Kangaroos is superior, at least insofar as the samples I have, but spring weight and feel are nearly identical -- I was almost unable to tell the difference holding bare switches and tapping on them with my eyes closed except for the slight leaf/spring ping on some of the Jupiter Bananas that isn't there on the BBKs that I have. But once installed in a keyboard and not right up against my ear, I couldn't hear the ping (though my hearing is far from perfect and I do wear hearing aids in noisy environments like restaurants and Costco and such). The bottom-out sound between the Jupiter Bananas and the BBKs is also quite similar, but the housings I believe are made from different materials in each, lending to a slightly different bottom-out sound. Not sure one is "better" than the other. Just a bit different.

So if you have Gateron Jupiter Bananas, then it's not worth replacing them with Gateron Baby Kangaroo 1.0 or 2.0. If you've got the K Pro Bananas, then only replace them if you care about an approximately +5g difference in the spring weight.

As for quality control between the K Pro Bananas, the Jupiter Bananas and the Baby Kangaroos, I cannot say. I've got several sets of BBKs with not a single switch malfunction, but only one set of the K Pro Bananas (came with my Q5 Pro but now are residing on a Q2) and one set of the Jupiter Bananas as noted above.

All that said, the Baby Kangaroos are my personal favorite tactile switches. They're medium-heavy (59g spring), have a sharp tactile bump at about 0.5mm down, and they sound deep and marbly. They're not "clicky," but you will hear them when they bottom out. They're fantastic IMHO in every way unless you don't like to hear your keypresses.

I much prefer the BBK to Glorious Pandas, another very popular high/early tactile ("Panda style") switch. They just somehow feel "cleaner" and is hard to describe.

I, however, have recently discovered the Gateron Oil Kings (linear) and I'm really enjoying typing on those very, very much. Might be my new all-time favorite.

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
I'm thinking about getting the Zoom65 V3 when it finally releases. I also considered the Luminkey65, but it doesn't have a knob and I like having a knob.

Edit: The one thing that still gives me a bit of hesitation is that the arrow keys are not separated from the main keys like my Q2 Max. My perfect keyboard would be the Q2 Max with less key chatter, a steeper typing angle, and the ability to place the switch for the caps lock key off center for a stepped caps lock key.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My perfect keyboard would be the Q2 Max with less key chatter, a steeper typing angle, and the ability to place the switch for the caps lock key off center for a stepped caps lock key.
Yeah, those are good thoughts.

You could try adding thin foam switchpads under each key switch. Might help dampen the sound a bit further. Typing angle can be solved with some rubber adhesive pads underneath the rear of the keyboard (the kind use for lamp feet and such). They can be had in quantities of 50+ of varying thickness for like $5.

An offset capslock switch would be a very welcome addition. The Gem80 has a two-position socket for either offset or center-post capslock key, which is a really nice touch. Keychron should consider adding that.

Reactions: Lyoha

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
Key chatter refers to the keyboard sometimes typing a key twice when you press it once rather than the sound. I quite like the sound profile of the Q2 Max. It’s the occasional repeated keys that annoy me. The spacebar was the worst and a heavier switch helped it to become rarer, but practically all of the keys still have chatter on occasion. It’s rare enough to not make the keyboard unusable but it’s still annoying when it happens, especially for programming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.