Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Found this on YouTube. This is a Drop CSTM 80 keyboard. I am not interested in the keyboard but I want to know where I can get these keycaps. This keyboard uses Gateron, and Cherry switches so these caps will fit my Keychron's.

View attachment 2350570
Side-lit keycaps are available several places. Even Amazon has some, though I've never seen a set with macOS keys (Option, ⌘, etc), in case that is critically important to you.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Side-lit keycaps are available several places. Even Amazon has some, though I've never seen a set with macOS keys (Option, ⌘, etc), in case that is critically important to you.
Side-lit was the needed search term, and you are correct I have not run across a set that had macOS keycaps supplied. I don't suppose it matters much as I end up shutting off the RGB lighting on the wireless keyboard as the eats up the battery to fast. I do have some 10K, and 20K mAH Anker batteries here that would keep the lights on for a very long time.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I completely understand. For years my ideal keyboard was the one I started with the old IBM keyboards. Their tactile response and sound was my benchmark. When mechanical keyboards more or less disappeared I was searching for a keyboard that emulated it. I had no idea they were still made by Unicomp. Now I have found a modern replacement. I will never again own a keyboard that does not have hot swappable key switches.
While obviously not exactly the same as the old buckling springs, I've got a keyboard with Kailh Box Navy switches and they give me that same super-satisfying feel and snap. They took a little time to get accustomed to (since they're pretty heavy switches), but I can type the fastest and most accurately by far on that keyboard.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
While obviously not exactly the same as the old buckling springs, I've got a keyboard with Kailh Box Navy switches and they give me that same super-satisfying feel and snap. They took a little time to get accustomed to (since they're pretty heavy switches), but I can type the fastest and most accurately by far on that keyboard.

I like the clicky Kailh box switches, too (white owl in my case). And you’re right, they’re not the same as buckling springs – they are actual switches rather than a membrane keyboard with simulated switch feel ;)

I keep one of the Kailh switches on my desk as a fidget toy, it’s so satisfying :D

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I like the clicky Kailh box switches, too (white owl in my case). And you’re right, they’re not the same as buckling springs – they are actual switches rather than a membrane keyboard with simulated switch feel ;)

I keep one of the Kailh switches on my desk as a fidget toy, it’s so satisfying :D
There is a YouTube channel called "The Proper People" they are abandoned building explorers. On one episode they infiltrated an decommissioned nuclear power plant back east somewhere. There was a 2nd unit still in operation so the property still had power and security. What really got my attention were the dozens upon dozens of original IBM keyboards sitting on top of desks and control stations everywhere in the complex. I had fantasies of slipping in and hauling off a bunch of them.

Reactions: ericwn

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The V1 is very much QMK/VIA compatible, I use VIA on mine. Go to https://usevia.app and see whether it recognises your keyboard.
I think you're mixing up the Keychron V1, which is QMK-based, with the Nuphy "v2" (version 2) keyboards that Lyoha referenced. The Nuphy v2 keyboards (i.e., Air96 v2) are QMK-based. The original Airs (version 1) were not.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
My Q1 Pro has just been delivered. Looking at the delivery photos. Not in a position to pick it up yet. I can see its size. It has the footprint of my Raspberry Pi Keyboard. I Think I have a winner. 😁

Reactions: Lyoha

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This Q1 keyboard is a real sweetie I am liking it right out of the box. The Banana switches are pretty good too. They sent the wrong wrist rest. It is the one for the Q8 Alice Keyboard, not a problem it goes in the keyboard stash I ordered the correct one from Amazon. I also ordered the fitted cases for both this Q1, and the Q12 from Keychron.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The last influence from old IBM keyboards is fading. This 75% Q1 Keychronic is the most comfortable keyboard I have ever used. Not having the number pad at all is the key. My hand does not have to move around on the keyboard much. for a touch typist I can keep my fingers oriented on the home keys. I am already typing better on the Q1 than on the Q12. It is interesting the keyboard mapping software came up when I first plugged it in, I had to manually set it up as the key combination it needed was not on this board. It was just a matter of checking off the key mapping plan for QWERTY. The Banana switches are as close to perfect as I have yet used. Not at all like the IBM but comfortable.

IMG_8921.jpeg

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Help! The Q1 can pair with up to 3 devices, Fn 1,2,3. It paired without a hitch to the Mac Studio with FN-1, but it will not properly pair with my Mini PC, I am using FN-2. Pairing instructions are a little threadbare on the Windows side. I can see the keyboard listed in the PC's Bluetooth list but there is no input from the keyboard. I loaded the latest Window drivers for the Q1. and loaded the latest Bluetooth drivers on the PC. But I am getting no input from the Q1 wirelessly. I pair using the command Fn-2. I get no indication from the keyboard that anything has happened, but as I said above I see it listed in the Bluetooth paired list. There must be something I am missing.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I've been lurking on this thread for a long while, and finally bit the bullet ... ordered a K1 Max 80% (i.e., TKL). Brown key switches.

If I don't like it, I'll be offering it for cheap on the marketplace of this site. :)

My motivating influence was that I wanted a TKL so that my right hand doesn't have to extend as far to reach the mouse. In some ways the 75% looked better, because the function keys are closer together, but I didn't want to relearn my muscle memory as to where the home, end, delete, and page up and down keys are.

I had an old Unicomp keyboard back in the day. I like the low profile of the K series over the regular profile of, say, the Q series. I went to Staples and mashed on the Logitech mechanical keyboards they have on display, and liked the clicky one better than the non-clicky, hence my decision to go with the brown.

I actually don't mind the newer Apple keyboards, but wanted to try out a mechanical keyboard. My biggest concern frankly is that I've really gotten used to having Touch ID on the keyboard. But, I wear an Apple Watch, so hopefully that'll serve as a decent substitute.

Was going to wait for Amazon to stock the K1 Max TKL ... right now they only have the Pro. However, I'm traveling in a few weeks, and wanted to have the new keyboard to try out when I'm overseas (bought the carrying case too).

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I've been lurking on this thread for a long while, and finally bit the bullet ... ordered a K1 Max 80% (i.e., TKL). Brown key switches.

If I don't like it, I'll be offering it for cheap on the marketplace of this site. :)

My motivating influence was that I wanted a TKL so that my right hand doesn't have to extend as far to reach the mouse. In some ways the 75% looked better, because the function keys are closer together, but I didn't want to relearn my muscle memory as to where the home, end, delete, and page up and down keys are.

I had an old Unicomp keyboard back in the day. I like the low profile of the K series over the regular profile of, say, the Q series. I went to Staples and mashed on the Logitech mechanical keyboards they have on display, and liked the clicky one better than the non-clicky, hence my decision to go with the brown.

I actually don't mind the newer Apple keyboards, but wanted to try out a mechanical keyboard. My biggest concern frankly is that I've really gotten used to having Touch ID on the keyboard. But, I wear an Apple Watch, so hopefully that'll serve as a decent substitute.

Was going to wait for Amazon to stock the K1 Max TKL ... right now they only have the Pro. However, I'm traveling in a few weeks, and wanted to have the new keyboard to try out when I'm overseas (bought the carrying case too).
I migrated from a K10 100% keyboard, to a Q12 QMK with the number pad on the left side. Never could get used to the left side caps lock key, I was alway drifting over from the A key to hit it instead, Now I am using the Q1 75% and I have found my home. I love this Q1. I am a touch typist and the key placement is so comfortable. The home key, keycaps on the Q1 have a very nice tactile feel to let your index fingers know where the are.

My Apple Watch nicely opens my Mac Studio. I have to reset it every so often but that does not take any time. The Apple Watch also opens my iPhone.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
New little toy:

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2454.jpeg

• Yunzii AL71 keyboard
  • Outemu Silent Peach linear switches
  • PBTFans WOB keycaps
I actually really like this little thing. For the $80 (off Amazon) I paid for the keyboard itself, it's pretty amazing. While the stabilizers are plate-mount, there's zero rattle anywhere. My $220 Keychron Q5 Pro had more rattle out of the box (though easily solved with a little extra lubrication). Has enough weight that it's not going to move on my desk. The anodization is a little grainy, but hard to complain for $80.

The stock silent linear switches (no idea who makes them for Yunzii) feel nice, well-lubed and are truly silent. I thought they would be garbage given the price of the keyboard but they're actually pretty good. With the keyboard's PC plate and tons of stock internal foam, the whole thing makes less noise than a rubber membrane cheapo keyboard. The internals are well demonstrated on the several YouTube videos floating around about this keyboard.

Swapped the included keycaps with some PBTFans WOB keycaps that I already had. The stepped CapsLock keycap is a center-post stepped cap I bought elsewhere (the switch underneath isn't actually in a normal stepped position, but a normal center position).

Reprogrammed the layout to be more Mac-friendly using my Parallels Windows VM since the proprietary software is Windows-only. Fortunately it's all stored on the keyboard's memory, so works fine without anything running in the background. But the only real downside to this keyboard is that it's not QMK, but again, for $80 and a reasonable work-around, it's a minor negative.

I might swap the switches at some point, but this is my first set of silent linears, so I'm kind of digging them at the moment.

FYI, the Insert key actually pulls up the macOS emoji panel. I didn't have any other keycaps that looked as good in that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: fp99 and Lyoha

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
New little toy:

View attachment 2354756
View attachment 2354757

• Yunzii AL71 keyboard
  • Outemu Silent Peach linear switches
  • PBTFans WOB keycaps
I actually really like this little thing. For the $80 (off Amazon) I paid for the keyboard itself, it's pretty amazing. While the stabilizers are plate-mount, there's zero rattle anywhere. My $220 Keychron Q5 Pro had more rattle out of the box (though easily solved with a little extra lubrication). Has enough weight that it's not going to move on my desk. The anodization is a little grainy, but hard to complain for $80.

The stock silent linear switches (no idea who makes them for Yunzii) feel nice, well-lubed and are truly silent. I thought they would be garbage given the price of the keyboard but they're actually pretty good. With the keyboard's PC plate and tons of stock internal foam, the whole thing makes less noise than a rubber membrane cheapo keyboard. The internals are well demonstrated on the several YouTube videos floating around about this keyboard.

Swapped the included keycaps with some PBTFans WOB keycaps that I already had. The stepped CapsLock keycap is a center-post stepped cap I bought elsewhere (the switch underneath isn't actually in a normal stepped position, but a normal center position).

Reprogrammed the layout to be more Mac-friendly using my Parallels Windows VM since the proprietary software is Windows-only. Fortunately it's all stored on the keyboard's memory, so works fine without anything running in the background. But the only real downside to this keyboard is that it's not QMK, but again, for $80 and a reasonable work-around, it's a minor negative.

I might swap the switches at some point, but this is my first set of silent linears, so I'm kind of digging them at the moment.

FYI, the Insert key actually pulls up the macOS emoji panel. I didn't have any other keycaps that looked as good in that spot.
I have come to feel that at least for me this is the ideal sized keyboard.

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia
@xraydoc I considered the Yunzii but the lack of QMK turned me off to it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it from keyboard hobbyists on YouTube. I’m thinking about maybe getting the Zoom65 V3 when that group buy happens. I also considered the Luminkey 65. With both of those there’s a lack of separation between the right shift and the arrow keys. It’s one of the things I like about the Q2 Max.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
@xraydoc I considered the Yunzii but the lack of QMK turned me off to it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it from keyboard hobbyists on YouTube. I’m thinking about maybe getting the Zoom65 V3 when that group buy happens. I also considered the Luminkey 65. With both of those there’s a lack of separation between the right shift and the arrow keys. It’s one of the things I like about the Q2 Max.
Yeah, I much prefer an exploded layout than everything jammed together.

I also have a Keychron Q2. It's very nice, but I'm a Home/End/PgUp/PgDn kind of guy. While it's certainly easy enough to put those on a second layer under the cursor T-pad (which I've done on the Q2 and others), I like separate keys. Not sure why, but I'm happier that way. So my Q2 doesn't get much use these days other than to play with it every now and then. It's got a knob, so there's only two side keys -- one for Delete (and I prefer a separate Del key versus Fn-Backspace) and another for something else, which I usually make PgDn.

I don't think I could live with a 60% or smaller like a HHKB layout.

I have one good TKL and two 75% that mostly satisfy my needs, as does my Q5 Pro and Q12 (both of which have a navigation row), but wanted something a little smaller/cleaner for my Mac. I don't really want to get into keyboards costing more than $250 barebones (just personal limits; I'd rather spend that money on other things), so that eliminates a lot of the customs.

But I saw a post on Reddit about the Yunzii AL71 and watched a few YouTube videos and they all said it was amazing for the price. So I found it in stock on Amazon. It had a 10% coupon and I had a few dollars of credit card cash-back from a prior Amazon order, so it brought the $99 price down to $80 and change. So even if I hated it, it wouldn't be much of a loss (and of course I could return it if it was really bad).

But it's remarkably great. Solid aluminum frame with good weight. Smooth stabs with no rattle at all. Tons of case foam. Wired/BT/2.4GHz RF connectivity (though I usually used wired only). Programmable, though not QMK, but functionally equivalent to VIA as long as I fire up my Win11 VM to do it. And I really like the layout on this -- like a slightly more compact FRL-TKL. And the full-sized right Shift key is a pleasant surprise.

Even the stock silent linear switches are surprisingly decent. Smooth and VERY quiet. A 70-piece set of the included Outemu Silent Peach switches would be $50 at retail anyway!

And for $80 complete, I took a risk with a color I wouldn't normally pick. The included Chinese generic double-shot cherry profile PBT keycaps are nothing to write home about, but I had a set of PBTFans WOB that wasn't being used on anything presently, so those were a nice free upgrade.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have kind of solved the Bluetooth pairing of the Q1 with the mini PC. However it is the Mac Studio that is the PIA. I can pair with FN-2 on the PC, however macOS apparently has a security feature the prevents automatic pairing of a keyboard that is paired to something else. I have the Q1 working via BT on the PC. Going back to the Mac, and pairing with FN-1 the keyboard is there but in order to pair it I have to restart the Mac. So much for 3 devices. Not a big deal actually, all I have to do is plug in the USB cable from the PC and go manual-Windows and I am good the go. I have a wireless mouse I use with it. I assume this will not be a problem with the iPad I am getting when the new ones are announced.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I'm considering getting a keychron k4 V2 RGB
I have the Q12 which has it's number pad on the left side, but otherwise a similar layout. I had trouble keeping my hands correctly positioned on the keyboard and was constantly hitting caps lock key and not the "A" key. The one feature the Q1, and the Q12 have that I very much like is the programmable knob in the upper left, Q12, and upper right Q1. I am very comfortable with this Q1.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Thank you very much. I'm glad you mentioned the key cap shine thru thing, that would probably have bugged me. Looking at their website I can get the aluminum K4 V2 for $99. The more solid feel sounds nice and I am using it at less than two feet from my Studio so I would think the BT would be fine (I don't want to run wired). Looks like the difference b/w the K4 V2 and Pro is the programability which is unimportant to me.

Edit: LOL. The K4 V2 is what I had in my AMZN cart.
The Q models with their CNC machined cases have the heft of a cast iron fry pan. My advice is to purchase them directly from Keychron you have a whole lot more choices than on Amazon. I takes about 5 day to get them. The only downside is customer service, not that it is bad but Chinese accented English does not work very well.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Are you sure? First I've heard of this.
I must be, I went through everything 6 times, and it was the same each time. I would pair with the Mac, on FN-1, go the the PC pair on FN-2. I would return to the Mac it would not automatically pair I could sort of connect with FN-1 but there was no input from the keychron. When I returned the Mac's Bluetooth settings the keyboard was disconnected. I could connect it but each time when I tried to type nothing. It took a restart of the Mac to get a proper pairing. The PC has no such trouble.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I just checked and macOS does have a security feature that prevents passive pairing this is to deter "man in the middle" attacks. So you cannot just pair a keyboard the way it works on the PC. As long as that is the way it is I am OK with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.