Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Hey all,

So long story short: got a Samsung S7 edge last night at the local BestBuy mobile kiosk ($100 off smartphone sale) to replace my old iphone 5s. Wanted to try something new. Suffice it to say - it was defective so I said screw it and replaced it with an iPhone 6s 64 gb today.

Fast forward about an hour and I noticed a loud buzzing/electrical sound while trying to make a call with the new iPhone. Made a few calls and everyone said my voice sounded staticy - and I could barely understand them as well. Brought it back to the store and the employee tested it by calling their phone.

Surprise surprise - my phone started screeching during their call. Almost like it was feed-backing on itself. They replaced it without question. However, they said they've never seen this issue before. Just curious if anyone else out there has had it?

The replacement phone still has a slight weird static/electric noise when i listen carefully (even outside of a call, just sitting on the homescreen with the phone to my ear) but other than that it seems fine. I also noticed my GF's phone has the same weird static/buzzing noise coming from it. So I guess that is a normal 6s thing?

Anyway, just curious if anyone has experienced a similar screeching/static noise. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Never heard of this issue before. The only thing I can think of, is reception issues in your general area, especially being your girlfriend is experiencing the same issue. Seems to obvious that she would have the same problem as yours. My 6s is crystal clear.

If your phone continued to do this, you could return it and hold off for about 6 weeks until the debut of the iPhone 7, that is, if you were interested.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
I've had 3 brand new iphone 6 phones and yea you can hear that when you call someone and you hear it ring on your end, just for the first few seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.