Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I realise that it's a very old game, but it didn't really "grab" me as much as I expected it to. I suspect that a lot people out there played it on the PS1 - indeed I did on a friend's PS when it was new, but only got a few hours into it. I did enjoy it back then, but gameplay has improved since then 7 feels pretty clunky now.

I'm working through 9 now and it's leaps and bounds better, in my opinion. I have played it in its entirety in the past though.
9 was my favourite FF game, but don't want to replay as often for me the reality of game mechanics has moved on so much that the clunkiness of older games in retrospect robs you of the charm and good memory it left you with at the time.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Currently playing through Pokemon Red. Loving that Nintendo finally added these original Pokemon titles to the eShop. Here's hoping now that Gold and Silver make an appearance down the road as well.

I guess I should add, that, I defeated Brock, and am making my way to Mt. Moon. I am grinding up a party to be always a few levels over what I need, but not high enough that I cannot control them.

ExcelTronic

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2015
Chicago
Currently playing Demon's Souls on PS3. I had this game for about 5 years, and just last month I finally decided to play it. And WOW! This game is everything I enjoy in video games. The music is indelible , the environment is memorable, and the atmosphere is remarkable. I can't believe I missed playing this game. And to top it off, there's a lot of games I haven't even played yet (like Skyrim...)

Reactions: itsOver9000

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I finished the Angry Video Game Nerd game last night. Actually to be honest I got through the last level and had to shut off the Wii U before I could kill the last boss. I got close a couple of times. Rather than going through that crap level again I just watched someone else beat the last boss on YouTube o_O. That game is insane. I had 300 and some deaths by the time I got done and that was on "easy" mode. So many cheap one hit kills. Reminds me of that Cat Mario game I played a few years ago...just designed to frustrate you. But maybe that is the point....?

Now I'm getting started on Super Mario 3D World. I've skimmed a few reviews that say it's too easy. I don't care, it should be a nice change of pace from the AVGN game...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Been playing GW2 at the moment with my son and have to say I'm quite enjoying it:p , great improvement on the first .:)

I've read it's near impossible to unlock all the extra character stuff in normal play time and by making its pacing so glacial it's forcing you down the micro transaction route if you want good gear. I wouldn't have a problem been with this if the game was €30-35 like GW1, but at €70 here ($80) or €90 for the deluxe edition - it has turned me off purchasing it. I will likely pick it up in a few months time when its invariably on sale or a GOTY edition arrives, but as much as I liked the first game - I don't want to spend 150 hours to unlock a character weapon or skin ...

Reactions: macuser27

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Far Cry Primal. Really liking it! Environment and character models are absolutely top notch and really immersive (add sounddesign to that too).

I got a key for 30 bucks so since it's single player only would say one can wait for a price drop before diving in when somewhat interested.

Reactions: MRU

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just moved on to, fallout 3. With Fallout 4 setting the bar so high, its understandable that its predecessor will not have the same level of bells and whistles. So far as I'm still early on. The game is good, though I've not yet left the vault.

The build up to get out of the vault and into the game proper seems a little long, i.e., 10 year old birthday party, then the G.O.A.T test, etc.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just moved on to, fallout 3. With Fallout 4 setting the bar so high, its understandable that its predecessor will not have the same level of bells and whistles. So far as I'm still early on. The game is good, though I've not yet left the vault.

The build up to get out of the vault and into the game proper seems a little long, i.e., 10 year old birthday party, then the G.O.A.T test, etc.

There is a video out there of a glitch that enables you to escape the vault as the baby, and then you will have to play the entire game as the baby without any abilities ... Someone actually managed to finish the game doing so !!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is a video out there of a glitch that enables you to escape the vault as the baby, and then you will have to play the entire game as the baby without any abilities ... Someone actually managed to finish the game doing so !!
Wow that's absolutely crazy - I can't imagine that. Hardcore to be sure :D

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I just finished Super Mario 3D World. It was pretty easy. A few levels were tricky. It seemed like a short game, Wii U says I played it for 8.5 hours. I'm sure it took me about double that to get through Mario 64 and Galaxy 1. 3D World was a lot of fun though and I loved the cat suit. :D

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel on the PS Vita.

TL;DR my Vita with this game got stolen with other stuff from my car while we were visiting older son at college in NYC a month or so ago, so I had to get a new Vita and new copy of game. Was just finished with Chapter 1, now played back through that and into the middle of Chapter 2.

Anyone else a fan of the series? I loved 'Tale of Vermillion' on the PSP ... never been a console gamer or much of a jRPG fan, but enjoyed these games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just finished Super Mario 3D World. It was pretty easy. A few levels were tricky. It seemed like a short game, Wii U says I played it for 8.5 hours. I'm sure it took me about double that to get through Mario 64 and Galaxy 1. 3D World was a lot of fun though and I loved the cat suit. :D

Have you beaten the secret worlds? What I loved most about 3D World is how difficult those final worlds were. Near impossible in co-op!

Currently playing: Mario World and Pokemon Yellowon 3DS, Star Wars Battlefront on PS4.

(Every time I play Mario World I'm reminded that it might be my favourite game of all time)

Cannibal_Yoshi

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2016
I'm currently playing through Diablo 3 but when I'm not doing that I'm usually on Black Ops 3 multiplayer. Going to get the division so,entire next week so that's probably gonna take up most of my time lol

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
I've read it's near impossible to unlock all the extra character stuff in normal play time and by making its pacing so glacial it's forcing you down the micro transaction route if you want good gear.

Not true. It's very easy and quick to do; much easier than the first version: Get your XP multiplier to 2 and then "Solo Play" on Easy in the "Multiplayer Portal." Your character variant will be Master level in no time.

Reactions: MRU and macuser27

macuser27

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
London , UK
Not true. It's very easy and quick to do; much easier than the first version: Get your XP multiplier to 2 and then "Solo Play" on Easy in the "Multiplayer Portal." Your character variant will be Master level in no time.
Agree with you on this .

My son hasn't had it that long and apart from the extra 200000 coins you get with the deluxe edition not another penny has been spend and he nearly now has all the characters unlocked .

Reactions: rrl and MRU

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The Division - I really thought I was going to regret buying this game before release but I'm really liking it. I'm not liking the game's A.I as it seems to be very aggressive and will advance on you even under heavy fire...they just keep coming and they have this thing about showing up behind you when you're fighting them from the front but hopefully that gets fixed.

Overall a good start for these MMO/Rpg/Action type.

Bless

Reactions: macuser27

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The Division - I really thought I was going to regret buying this game before release but I'm really liking it. I'm not liking the game's A.I as it seems to be very aggressive and will advance on you even under heavy fire...they just keep coming and they have this thing about showing up behind you when you're fighting them from the front but hopefully that gets fixed.

Same here. Wasn't that excited after the beta but still got it because.. NYC! lol

Pleasant surprise so far, of course it's on the repetitive side but I got somewhat used to the very restricted movement and the shooting is fun all in all. I'm not going to waste endless hours into it but it's quite enjoyable as is.

Some "nitpicks":

-normal mode is too easy, hard mode is way too "hard". No that I mind hard but when it means everything is the same but you need 10mins per enemy longer to play whack a mole it's just boring and results in the least attractive playstyles imo.

- Enemies look all the same. There should have been biker gangs, rabid dogs and whatnot.

- I would have preferred more and bigger mobs. Not a fan of the "wave" system. At least not all the friggin time.

- Can I go back to brooklyn?

- A hud without any clutter would be awesome and the most immersive.

- bit afraid of cheaters (playing on PC) so fear I can't really enjoy the DZ at all - would be a big bummer since it would basically mean I can't enjoy 1/3 of NYC. Would have loved an optional, complety PvE dark zone with just more badass enemies and the same mechanics as now (need to extract - lose all progress when dying etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.