Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Is anybody else having issues with Facebook spending a lot of time on in the background, even with background app refresh turned off? If I force the Facebook app cause I never have issues, but it seems to be draining a Tonna battery when I'm not even using the phone. I had the phone drop 9% in the last 10 minutes and the phone was sitting in my pocket, and the only thing that I can see that's even using a great portion of my battery is the Facebook app.

4962bf4f130a219a7053f36ec63c4921.jpg

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
Facebook takes tons of battery usage. My iPhone shows the same percentage. It updates so often in the background that it drains your battery like mad. You can always turn off background usage for that app, but I really want my updates lol.

Reactions: bronzi

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
They get away with running in the background due to their VoIP stuff. I deleted it (left a one star review on iTunes) and am using Friendly+ now.

Thanks for confirming. I may move back to paper until Facebook gets their stuff in line.

Reactions: MacGurl111

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Facebook is notorious for this. The app has been just as bad for ages now. Plus, it has a habit of saving every bit of data that comes through it into the app itself. I've seen customers who use the Facebook app a lot roll up for an upgrade after 2 years with 10GB of data being hogged by Facebook. The app itself is only 80mb in size.

There's an entire article on iMore.com about it. It's such a badly optimised app.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Mine never runs in the background. I always close the app after use & background app refresh is off.

Maybe your location services for Facebook is on?

Reactions: bronzi

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
While my 6s plus battery is amazing and lasts more than a day with constant use, I can confirm the Facebook app uses a lot of resources even in the background. 22 minutes on screen and 3 hours in background and it's at 14% battery usage. I think I'll be turning off background app refresh for this.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
While my 6s plus battery is amazing and lasts more than a day with constant use, I can confirm the Facebook app uses a lot of resources even in the background. 22 minutes on screen and 3 hours in background and it's at 14% battery usage. I think I'll be turning off background app refresh for this.
Turning off background refresh doesn't solve the problem.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Yup, plus it caches a crazy amount (1GB+). Unfortunately better off using the mobile site.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is a well known issue as the FB app is using an audio trick to stay in the background (notice how the audio is screwed up when switching to the music app after playing and pausing a video on Facebook app?).

Reactions: djransom

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
This is a well known issue as the FB app is using an audio trick to stay in the background (notice how the audio is screwed up when switching to the music app after playing and pausing a video on Facebook app?).

You're right. When I close the Facebook app and adjust volume it goes back to the normal ringer volume. When the Facebook app is opened and in background and volume is adjusted, it just says volume.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Facebook battery usage is crazy! Anyone using the Friendly app is it any good and does it cut battery consumption?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Facebook is notorious for this. The app has been just as bad for ages now. Plus, it has a habit of saving every bit of data that comes through it into the app itself. I've seen customers who use the Facebook app a lot roll up for an upgrade after 2 years with 10GB of data being hogged by Facebook. The app itself is only 80mb in size.

There's an entire article on iMore.com about it. It's such a badly optimised app.

Which is crazy considering Facebook is worth tons of money and millions of people use it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I submitted it as a 3rd Party bug in the Feedback app. Someone needs to hold them accountable for using 10% of my battery when I may look at the app for 10 minutes a day. That's just wrong.

Zombiecrowd

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2013
Background refresh doesn't matter. Facebook app uses a loophole with VoIP to run in the background. It uses your battery and data when you don't want it to do so. The only way it will change is if enough people delete the app AND leave one star reviews for the app at the iTunes Store. And better yet get your family and friends to do the same.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
One of the great things about iOS 9 is the battery usage detail stats. I always noticed FB was a battery hog but now I also know that a lot of that consumption happens because it runs in the background regardless of whether you have disabled background app refresh or not. I can therefore classify it as a renegade app for me and delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.