Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
Rumour update: MacRumors will change its name to MacWhiners :D
knock on wood I don't have all these complains!
Edit: I really feel sorry for all your bugged itunes

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
not really related but....

I sure do miss the Firwire connection. I hada 60GB 4th gen iPod that was full and have been waiting for the 80GB for almost two years. Well I got one and love it except for the USB connection. I have about 18,000 songs and now when I update, even just adding one new album to sync with the iPod it takes a really long time. My firewire would take a very short couple of minutes.

But iTunes 7 is really nice.

Oh well.....

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Small White Car said:
Right. But you've also used the phrase "potential problems" whithout saying what that means.

That's all I'm asking!

I don't know why others are expected to fully explain this, however I love to help people as much as possible.

The best way to answer your question is to read the topic in the following link

http://www.ncmug.org/tips/repair_permissons.html

And more pinpointed direct answer (one I find to be true with practice).

Article in link said:
The symptoms might be programs quitting unexpectedly, preferences not being remembered, programs not launching, etc. This is where Repair Disk Permissions utility comes in. This utility, which is part of the Apple Disk Utility program, corrects the ownership and permissions according to Apple specifications. Frequently, this corrects many system and program errors. Repair Disk Permissions is a OS X specific utility and UNIX does not have such issues. Hopefully, this a concern and procedure that will go away in the future.

Many types of installers cause permission issues which can make programs behave erratically. Sometimes the symptom is not the actual program you upgraded or installed, but an other that uses shared libraries.

It works for allot of people, hence why so many people on Macrumors recommend using this tool.

Hope this helps!

Pyrix

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
UK
Playback seems a lot better so far. But scroll wheel still doesn't work on secondary monitors.

It's a minor point, but it's where I always used to put it, along with msn. Work on one monitor, music and chat on the other. Now I have to keep alt-tabbing through windows again :mad:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
it's great that apple got the update out quickly. lets hope it does the job.

although it works fine for me, i use a mac

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
USB 1.1 or 2 On Your Slow iPod Connection Mac?

nemaslov said:
I sure do miss the Firwire connection. I hada 60GB 4th gen iPod that was full and have been waiting for the 80GB for almost two years. Well I got one and love it except for the USB connection. I have about 18,000 songs and now when I update, even just adding one new album to sync with the iPod it takes a really long time. My firewire would take a very short couple of minutes.

Oh well.....
What Mac? Only have USB 1.1 on it? My experience with USB2 is the same speed as the FW was.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
840quadra said:
I don't know why others are expected to fully explain this, however I love to help people as much as possible.

The best way to answer your question is to read the topic in the following link

http://www.ncmug.org/tips/repair_permissons.html

You guys keep assuming I don't know what "repair permissions" means.

I know what it is, what I'm asking is if there is a specific problem that has CAUSED you all to want to do it.

From what I'm reading (even though I can't get a direct answer) it looks to me like the answer to that is "no." You seem to be doing it just because it's something you've always done. No other reason.

But there's no reason to do it if you're not experiencing problems!

More info:
http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/repair_permissions_voodoo.html

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wow, looky at what I found in Localizable.strings

----

/* ===== Mobile Phone Strings ===== */

"4301.043" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music and videos on your mobile phone? You will need to manually eject your mobile phone before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4301.045" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music and videos on your mobile phone? All existing content on the mobile phone “^1” will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

"4301.047" = "The software required for communicating with the mobile phone is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the mobile phone’s software.";
"4301.053" = "The mobile phone “^1” contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";
"4301.054" = "Moving voice memos to your iTunes library…";
"4301.066" = "Some of the iTunes Store files in the iTunes library were not copied to the mobile phone “^1” because the mobile phone may only contain content from five iTunes Store accounts.";
"4301.067" = "Another user on this computer is using the mobile phone software, so iTunes is unable to communicate with this mobile phone. Please ask the other user to log out.";
"4301.070" = "The mobile phone “^1” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version ^2 or later. Go to http://www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes.";
"4301.071" = " Would you like iTunes to delete enough photos and albums from the mobile phone to make room for the songs?";
"4301.072" = "iTunes cannot sync photos to the mobile phone “^1” because all of the albums selected for syncing no longer exist.";
"4301.073" = "iTunes cannot sync photos to the mobile phone “^1” because all of the folders selected for syncing no longer exist.";
"4301.077" = "The mobile phone “^1” is synced with another photo library or folder. Do you want to sync with your photo library and replace all existing photos and albums on this mobile phone with those from your photo library?";
"4301.093" = "iTunes cannot sync photos to the mobile phone “^1” because your Aperture Library could not be found. Open the preferences window in Aperture and enable the preference to share previews with other applications.";
"4301.107" = "Sending workout data to nikeplus.com…";
"4301.108" = "Downloading Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";
"4301.109" = "Installing Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";
"4301.110" = "Updating contacts and calendars on “^1”…";
"4301.115" = "Mobile Phone Setup Assistant";
"4301.123" = "Are you sure you want to sync TV shows? All existing TV shows on the mobile phone “^1” will be replaced with TV shows from your iTunes library.";
"4301.124" = "Are you sure you want to sync TV shows? All existing content on the mobile phone “^1” will be removed and replaced with TV shows from your iTunes library.";

And many many more referenced to a phone an movies, apps etc that I have not seen in here before,...

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Ah, the buttons work again! I no longer have to move the cursor off the button after a press to invoke the button action.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
FreeState said:
Wow, looky at what I found in Localizable.strings

----
/* ===== Mobile Phone Strings ===== */
"4301.043" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music and videos on your mobile phone? You will need to manually eject your mobile phone before it can be disconnected safely.";
"4301.045" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music and videos on your mobile phone? All existing content on the mobile phone “^1” will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

..."4301.123" = "Are you sure you want to sync TV shows? All existing TV shows on the mobile phone “^1” will be replaced with TV shows from your iTunes library.";
"4301.124" = "Are you sure you want to sync TV shows? All existing content on the mobile phone “^1” will be removed and replaced with TV shows from your iTunes library.";

Those are interesting, in that they reference TV shows and videos which I don't think are available on current iTunes-enabled phones.

arn

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
A lot less people seemed to have problems then I thought. I definatly needed this update, now I can import a cd, listen to a song and browse the iTunes Store without it crashing. Yays!:D

Please Apple, do more testing with your software/hardware before a release.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
itunes (since updating) has crashed on me 3 times. grr. i'll try repairing permissions and see if that helps. it keeps asking me to agree to the user agreement every time it quits. grrrrrrrrr:mad:

EDIT: that's odd. I repaired permissions and that didn't help. But then i removed the itunes icon from my dock and put it back in the dock and now it works. I had noticed that the problems were happening when i tried to do something using the dock icon (ie cntrl clk and then hit next song or quit). oh well, hope that helps someone, yay for it working now.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Oh my God, I just did the install and it transformed my 3GHz Mac Pro enclosure into a Mini Tower and when I checked about this Mac I discovered that I'm now running Mac OS X 10.8 and I my mini tower now has 8 cores.

But gosh darn it the icon for iTunes is still blue!

When will Apple get it right!

Pyrix said:
Hopefully this will turn iTunes back into something useable again. I had to go back to Winamp - the playback was awful and jumpy, iTunes just randomly crashed and ate my CPU, couldn't use sound enhancer or crossfade playback.

And yes, I tried fiddling with Quicktime settings. I tried everything. Apple did release a piece of c**p - it didn't seem like they even tested it with PCs!

-Installs-
Well, you know you could do the smart thing and upgrade to a Mac.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
mahonmeister said:
A lot less people seemed to have problems then I thought. I definatly needed this update, now I can import a cd, listen to a song and browse the iTunes Store without it crashing. Yays!:D

Please Apple, do more testing with your software/hardware before a release.

I think this was more a case of rushing the release for the unveiling of the movie store and new nanos.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Small White Car said:
You guys keep assuming I don't know what "repair permissions" means.

<snip>

But there's no reason to do it if you're not experiencing problems!

More info:
http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/repair_permissions_voodoo.html

Well I appreciate your opinion, also the one linked within the link, and respectfully reject it.

I consider (and so do some other people) a permissions repair a form of preventative maintenance. It is the type of maintenance that could be considered optional, but it also requires little or no time, so I just do it anyway.

If you don't agree with the points posted with Apple, and many of us who support them, that is fine. Nobody is telling you that you need to run this, we just use it ourselves.

I also apologize for misunderstanding that your intent was for clarity on the subject, and not for the actual reason to debate and or debunk the practice. It is all in the way you worded it.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
nemaslov said:

Oh well.....

Does the new iPod not work with the dock to firewire cable? Crap if it doesn't, my USB 2 hub is full yet I have a couple of spare Firewire ports...

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Well, here's what happened when I updated.

Attachments

• iTunes Bar.jpg
    iTunes Bar.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 980

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
bilbo--baggins said:
Does the new iPod not work with the dock to firewire cable? Crap if it doesn't, my USB 2 hub is full yet I have a couple of spare Firewire ports...

The 5th generation of the iPod never worked with Firewire. Apple removed the Firewire controller from the iPod because it was size-inhibiting.

Carthag

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
It didn't fix the problem I'm having with iTunes 7... :(

That is, iTunes deletes files from my music folder (mostly newer files; luckily I have everything backed up on an external drive) upon startup. It then tells me that it cannot find the files.

If I copy the files back after iTunes has started up, it finds them and everything is peachy until the next time I restart iTunes. Then it deletes them again and complains that it can't find them.

This guy is having the same problem:
http://maba.wordpress.com/2006/09/19/itunes-7-might-delete-your-files-silently/

I hope it gets fixed soon, as iTunes is at the moment completely unusable for me.

gunpowda

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2004
Song titles currently don't update for me in iTunes 7.0. If I double-click a track to play it, the window title in the taskbar will stay on that song's title even though the song has changed.

Has anyone experienced this problem, and is this now fixed in the update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.