Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
EDIT (25/Feb): The JB'able betas (b1...3) are no longer signed, which means they can't be reinstalled using the method explained in the previous update. Sorry guys...

EDIT (19/Feb): GREAT news! If you still have iTunes 11.1.3 (or downgrade the current version, 11.1.4, to it – tutorial at http://awesometoast.com/downgrading-to-itunes-10-7-from-itunes-11-on-osx/ , dedicated post at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18786314#post18786314 ), you can reinstall and activate 7.1b1...3 even now, way after their expiration.

Which, while they do have their own share of problems (incompatible JB tweaks like Display Recorder and no support for Lighting VGA/HDMI adapters – see my report at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18644744/ . Note that all 30-pin adapters, being passive, work, as is also explained at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18647464/ ), still offer way better stability in Safari, particularly on non-32-bit iPads, than the current 7.0.4.

See https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18786589#post18786589 for mKTank's step-by-step tutorial on installing these betas.

EDIT (23/Jan): another top tip: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18666815/

EDIT (28/Dec 20:05GMT): Now that a solution has been found, I'm rewriting this article. In the meantime, check out https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18559914/

Original post:

(Original thread title: Did anyone actually test the alleged 7.1b2 ReleaseType Beta Value removal? and, then, WARNING: 7.1b2 can NOT be made survive the expiration date! Only 7.0.4 will survive! )

As I've promised at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1688110/ , I had a closer look at the possible compatibility issues under 7.1b2, particularly because it's much superior to 7.0.4 WRT the UIWebView / Safari behaviour. In addition, I wanted to be sure my own tweaks / apps (see for example https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1566350/ and https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1538193/ ) I've updated to iOS7 yesterday are compatible with 7.1.x.

Unfortunately, iH8sn0w's advice HERE (also repeated in this very forum quite often; for example HERE) doesn't seem to work. If you do remove the ReleaseType/beta key/value pair from /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist :

ExportRemoval.PNG

and, after increasing the date to, say, Feb 2014, hard reset the device (so that SystemVersion.plist is re-evaluated), it'll get into exactly the same reactivation loop as without touching SystemVersion.plist at all:

Result1.PNG

Result2.png

Did anyone have any success with actually testing the hack with manually-set system dates after applying the hack?

NOTE: I've only tested this on an int'l GSM iPhone 5 but not on an iPad or an iPod touch. (Prolly it's the iPad, which isn't in need of phone activation, that other people had success with?) I've tested two times:

- first, I immediately changed the date after editing the plist file and, only after that, did I reset;

- second, I reset after editing the plist file and only after the reset (which booted in just fine) did I change the date to February, 2014. (Needless to say, the next reset resulted in the activation boot-up sequence, resulting in the need of a full restore.)

ALL IN ALL,

(at least if you have an iPhone), don't trust this hack - it won't prolong beta2 beyond 24/January/2014. It does not seem to work at all - at least not on iPhone 5's.

EDIT (27/Dec 4:39GMT): the hack doesn't work on iPads either (see below). That is, it seems you should not trust it.

EDIT (27/Dec 18:50GMT): I've received other reports of the "hack" failing (see below). This all means I was right: the hack no longer works with 71.b2.

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Perhaps in real time it'll kick in and work.
Fingers crossed, because as of now, 7.1 beta 2 jailbroken is providing the best iPhone5 experience and I'd hate to lose it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Perhaps in real time it'll kick in and work.

I don't think so. I've tested the stock (without even JB) 7.1b2 with the same methology (setup and, then, manually setting the system date to February, followed by a hard reset). It produced exactly the same symptoms.

This is why I'd like to know whether anyone has proof of this working. I know it did work back in the iOS5/6 days but Apple could have changed it in the meantime and iH8sn0w only called this the solution because of his past experience with older iOS versions, not necessarily 7.1b2. (Dunno if he has indeed tested the hack with 7.1b2 or just thought the old hack would work this time too.)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I think you're on to something. . .

I have 7.1 downloaded on my iPads (non-jailbroken) yet have my iP5 jailbroken with 7.1 beta 2 (developer registered).

I am going to go back to 7.0.4 on my iP5 and rejailbreak as I suspect you're right:
It would be easy to end up stuck if Apple stops signing 7.0.4 by the end of January and the beta 2 expires leaving me with no option outside of restoring to whatever the current firmware is- probably 7.0.5 and killing any chance of a jailbreak then.

I've lost jailbreaks in the past due to my ignorance and don't want to lose this one.
Thanks for the tap on the shoulder... (restoring now. . .).

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for doing this, I did wonder if it would be possible to test. I guess it seems like it won't work :(

Should we try and get sn0w to have a look at this thread? I don't know what else could be done though :S. Gonna suck going to 7.0.4 ;(

----------

I've lost jailbreaks in the past due to my ignorance and don't want to lose this one.
Thanks for the tap on the shoulder... (restoring now. . .).

I think the only 'safe' option is to go to 7.0.4. Even if there is some other way to get 7.1b2 working is it worth the risk?

How bad is 7.0.4 compared to 7.1, hardly worth losing a jailbrake for is it :S? Really disappointed though as had no problems with 7.1 and not looking forward to 7.0.4...damn this rushed jailbreak!

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
Thanks for doing this, I did wonder if it would be possible to test. I guess it seems like it won't work :(

Should we try and get sn0w to have a look at this thread? I don't know what else could be done though :S. Gonna suck going to 7.0.4 ;(

----------

I think the only 'safe' option is to go to 7.0.4. Even if there is some other way to get 7.1b2 working is it worth the risk?

How bad is 7.0.4 compared to 7.1, hardly worth losing a jailbrake for is it :S? Really disappointed though as had no problems with 7.1 and not looking forward to 7.0.4...damn this rushed jailbreak!

nah Jailbreak isn't that important this days not more than a stable OS and 7.0.4 sucks :cool:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
How bad is 7.0.4 compared to 7.1

I've published the results of my strict Safari / UIWebView memory tests over at the iOS7 forum. In the light of them, 7.1b2 is vastly superior to 7.0.4 on 32-bit iPhones (like the iPhone 5). The difference is much smaller on 32-bit iPads (like the iPad 3).

In addition, 7.1 seems to be much more compatible with legacy code than 7.0.4. I maintain several AppStore apps (mapping, pathfinding on maps etc. - that is, they're pretty advanced apps with more than a hundred classes) and have found several cases of my apps' working on 7.1 exactly as they would on iOS versions prior to iOS7. While, on 7.0.x, there have been UI glitches like clipped UIProgressView's in non-full-width table cells (only the uppermost 9 pixels have been shown of them in my legacy code etc.).

These, however, are all UI glitches and don't render that part non-functioning - just plain ugly.

, hardly worth losing a jailbrake for is it :S?

I'd say only if you're seriously annoyed by the Safari (or other Web browser) crashes. Otherwise, 7.1 doesn't seem to be that large a step forward.

This all only applies to 32-bit systems. 64-bit iDevices are stated to have profited much more from 7.1. I, however, couldn't test this myself so I don't know whether it's true.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Regardless of going back to 7.0.4 be interesting to know how apple still makes it expire. I thought it was a little to simple too remove the expiry but I still wonder how else they do it.

I'll put up with safari crashes if that's the only real benefit of 7.1 if it means keeping the jailbreak :(

Did you try this on iPads as well? How exactly did you change the date? Shall I try it on my ipad, since I'm probably going back to 7.0.4 now anyway >.<

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Regardless of going back to 7.0.4 be interesting to know how apple still makes it expire. I thought it was a little to simple too remove the expiry but I still wonder how else they do

They had plenty (two+ years) of time - after all, the ReleaseType hack has been made advantage of even in the iOS5 beta times by the JB community.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm pulling up errors when I attempt to downgrade back to 7.0.4
(I've googled solutions, but still have issues.)

Anyone have info. on this?

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
What errors? I've reinstalled the beta 3 times but haven't tried going back down yet.

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Menneisyys2,

Just want to say thanks for doing this. I agree that the 7.1 beta runs much better but this is a big gamble to take. I regret spending 3+ hours plus $10 for UDID slots setting up my ipad and iphone both on this beta but now I know for sure to go back.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I'm pulling up errors when I attempt to downgrade back to 7.0.4
(I've googled solutions, but still have issues.)

Anyone have info. on this?

There shouldn't be any errors if you just use the Alt+click method. (Don't just click Restore without any key modifier - it won't work when returning to 704 from 71b2.)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I've downloaded 7.0.4 and 'option' click and restore (in DFU) yet come up with errors.

I'll keep trying (I've got the morning free!).

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I've downloaded 7.0.4 and 'option' click and restore (in DFU) yet come up with errors.

I'll keep trying (I've got the morning free!).

You have the right IPSW file for th iPads?

I just restored my iPad2 wifi back to 7.04

I'll wait for the evasi0n fix

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Why did you switch to DFU? No need for that...

That was a last ditch effort... all else failed.

Here's the error I consistently get going about it as prescribed above):

"The requested resource was not found."

Using, on a Mac, the option shift and click 7.0.4
After extracting the software. . . restoring iPhone software. . . verifying iPhone restore. . .
And, it worked!

Back on 7.0.4
(I kind of wanted to rejailbreak anyway as 1.01 is released and I had originally jailbroken within minutes of the announcement.)

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
NOTE: I've only tested this on an int'l GSM iPhone 5 but not on an iPad or an iPod touch. (Prolly it's the iPad, which isn't in need of phone activation, that other people had success with?) I've tested two times:

- first, I immediately changed the date after editing the plist file and, only after that, did I reset;

- second, I reset after editing the plist file and only after the reset (which booted in just fine) did I change the date to February, 2014. (Needless to say, the next reset resulted in the activation boot-up sequence, resulting in the need of a full restore.)

ALL IN ALL,

(at least if you have an iPhone), don't trust this hack - it won't prolong beta2 beyond 24/January/2014. It does not seem to work at all - at least not on iPhone 5's.

Can you explain how to change the system date manually so I can confirm it on my iPad before going back to 7.0.4?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Can you explain how to change the system date manually so I can confirm it on my iPad before going back to 7.0.4?

General > Date & Time; untick Set Automatically and the pickers that, then, appear, select some date in, say, Febuary, 2014.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
General > Date & Time; untick Set Automatically and the pickers that, then, appear, select some date in, say, Febuary, 2014.

Ha well that was fun, forgot to turn off 'find my iphone'. Jez thats annoying. Anyway, yeah its the same for ipad, got same error message (expired) and ipad wanted to set up as new.

Both my phone and ipad running 7.0.4 now :(, have to see how much worse it is lol. Oh well better safe than sorry.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Ha well that was fun, forgot to turn off 'find my iphone'. Jez thats annoying. Anyway, yeah its the same for ipad, got same error message (expired) and ipad wanted to set up as new.

Thanks. That is, this hack is useless on iPads too. Will update the OP to reflect this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.