Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
bigwillis said:
Ordered the stock 15" MBP last night (8/16) at 10:30 PDT. Expected ship date is 9/19 with delivery by 9/26. Here's hoping they announce the updated MBP on the 19th and I get one.

1 MBPRO 15/2.0/1X512/80/128VRAM/SD-USA Sep 19, 2006 Sep 26, 2006

Why would you order this close to an update? Is it some kind of gamble to get one of the first merom books? It reminds of Kramer in the Seinfeld episode running down the tank of gas on a test drive. Sure you can do it, but why!?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
louden said:
Why would you order this close to an update? Is it some kind of gamble to get one of the first merom books? It reminds of Kramer in the Seinfeld episode running down the tank of gas on a test drive. Sure you can do it, but why!?

some people have no patience.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
louden said:

While all signs do point to yes, who really knows when they'll update the line, except for Apple? That being said, unless someone absolutely needed the MBP right now, then in my estimation, there is no reason what-so-ever to buy this close to a time when all signs do points to yes.

Patience. A minor form of despair disguised as a virtue.
-- Ambrose Bierce
:D

bigwillis

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
louden said:

actually, it was rather deliberate. i'm hoping that my order will be updated to a merom mbp but i will still get my free ipod because i ordered before the 16th. if it looks like they aren't updated in time, i will either cancel my order or send it back and reorder the merom mbp. just trying to play the system so i can get a free ipod.

Brick

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Wtf?

taylorc said:
Time to throw my coal in the fire

I ordered my MBP this morning (~8:45am) through the apple store.

17" , 2gb ram

On the website the ship date is estimated for Sept. 26th (after photokina) and I should recieve it on the 3rd. Either way, if it ships with Merom or not, I'm opening that damn box as soon as I see it.

Man.. I ordered my 17" MBP w/ 2GB RAM on the 8th and my new shipdate is now October 2!!! It was supposed to be the 15th, what is going on?

bigwillis

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
bigwillis said:
Ordered the stock 15" MBP last night (8/16) at 10:30 PDT. Expected ship date is 9/19 with delivery by 9/26. Here's hoping they announce the updated MBP on the 19th and I get one.

1 MBPRO 15/2.0/1X512/80/128VRAM/SD-USA Sep 19, 2006 Sep 26, 2006

Looks like the gamble didn't quite pay off. The MBP shipped this morning 9/19. So, I'm guessing that they're not being updated this week. Anyone know what happens if you refuse delivery?

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
bigwillis said:
Looks like the gamble didn't quite pay off. The MBP shipped this morning 9/19. So, I'm guessing that they're not being updated this week. Anyone know what happens if you refuse delivery?

Isnt there a 14 day money back option if you dont open it?

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Foggy said:
Isnt there a 14 day money back option if you dont open it?

As long as it's not BTO, then yes, you can return it within 14 days with a restocking fee, which many say might be waved if you're nice to the person when you return it.

bigwillis

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
I'm aware of Apple's return policy. I was asking about refusing delivery - i.e. I don't want to wait until it gets shipped to my house, then request an RMA, then pay to have it shipped back. Rather, I want to call the carrier, tell them I refuse delivery, the item gets sent back immediately, and I don't have to pay the return shipping. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Will I encounter any problems getting Apple to refund my money? BTW - there is no restocking fee if an item is unopened.

SteveJoobs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
western Canada
I can't stand the suspense!!!

Apple, please -- I'm begging here -- where's the updated MBP?!??

How can it be possible that I can go TODAY and purhcase a SONY VAIO or DELL notebook with Intel C2D, but Apple's flagship MBP is STALE-DATED?:confused: :mad: :(

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Im only waiting for the Merom so the CD Refurbs will drop in price, lol. UNLESS they redo the case, or add some nifty new gadget, then Ill use the Edu discount and snag a new one.

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Abraxsis said:
Im only waiting for the Merom so the CD Refurbs will drop in price, lol. UNLESS they redo the case, or add some nifty new gadget, then Ill use the Edu discount and snag a new one.

I recall a discussion about how, after the last round of MBP speedbumps, the 1.86GHz model on the refurb page didn't drop any in price.

Of course, that doesn't dictate what will happen this time around, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
bigwillis said:
I'm aware of Apple's return policy. I was asking about refusing delivery - i.e. I don't want to wait until it gets shipped to my house, then request an RMA, then pay to have it shipped back. Rather, I want to call the carrier, tell them I refuse delivery, the item gets sent back immediately, and I don't have to pay the return shipping. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Will I encounter any problems getting Apple to refund my money? BTW - there is no restocking fee if an item is unopened.

I did that once and did not have to pay anything. You don't even have to be there to refuse. Just don't open it and bring it back to a UPS or FedEx office and write "Refused" on the label and give it back... Course, for me, this was about two years ago, but Apple didn't say a thing.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I believe this talk (hysteria) about return policies represents some sort of creshendo of expectations of Merom (Core 2 Duo) laptops.

BUT

I do believe Merom Powerbook G6 (Mac Book Pro) is just around the corner. I have said 3-4 weeks after iMac Merom updates is virtually certain. Soldered motherboard and all.

BUT

What some people are waiting for is not mere Merom Powerbook G6's, but Merom + Santa Rosa + 802.11n laptops. THAT is what is happening in 2007.

Don't wait.

Rocketman

MY proposed rumour is Powerbook G7 Quad core!
Powerbook G4 - Motorola
Powerbook G5 - Intel Yonah (allegedly 5x the speed)
Powerbook G6 - Core 2 Duo
Powerbook G7 - Core 2 Quadro!!!

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Rocketman said:
What some people are waiting for is not mere Merom Powerbook G6's, but Merom + Santa Rosa + 802.11n laptops. THAT is what is happening in 2007.

Point of Pedantry -- Santa Rosa is a platform name. It refers to Merom + Crestline + Kedron (802.11n) + Robson + ICH8. No doubt at some point, Penryn will replace Merom, tho' whether they'll change the name remains to be seen. Napa is AFAIK still Napa even when Merom is included. Some early docs referred to Napa64 but none I've seen from Intel do.

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
SteveJoobs said:
I can't stand the suspense!!!

Apple, please -- I'm begging here -- where's the updated MBP?!??

How can it be possible that I can go TODAY and purhcase a SONY VAIO or DELL notebook with Intel C2D, but Apple's flagship MBP is STALE-DATED?:confused: :mad: :(

I'm not sure where this guy gets his info or how reliable he is:

MacBook Pro arriving fashionably late to the Merom party

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/index.php?p=289

Apple's slow adoption of the latest Intel chip has nothing to do with Intel at all. In fact, Apple has been sampling the Core 2 Duo chips since as far back as June. It's Apple that has been putting the brakes on the C2D notebook launch. Of course they want to ship notebooks with the new silicon ASAP but there were a litany of problems with the original MacBook Pro (heat, whine, moo, battery, you name it) that they were forced to deal with first.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
ergle2 said:
Point of Pedantry -- Santa Rosa is a platform name. It refers to Merom + Crestline + Kedron (802.11n) + Robson + ICH8. No doubt at some point, Penryn will replace Merom, tho' whether they'll change the name remains to be seen. Napa is AFAIK still Napa even when Merom is included. Some early docs referred to Napa64 but none I've seen from Intel do.

Well, if there's one thing you've proven since you've been here, is that you know your stuff. Pedantry doesn't apply to you. Extremely knowledgable? Definitely, and without being a prig about it as well.

I have enjoyed your information about Santa Rosa (among other subjects), and how it actually won't be the technological leap that everyone is purporting. Please continue to keep me informed. :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
ergle2 said:

Core 3 Duo?

BTW I still say Powerbook G7 in 2007.

Thanks for the insight. Rare for a rumour site, even one that summarizes.

Rocketman

:cool:

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Omg! The Penryn?!?! When is that tiny thing coming out? The fact that it's 45nm and it's dual core really gives me the urge to wait longer and longer even if it's impossible to wait longer and longer. Geez, Intel never take a break do they? It looks like Apple needs a break with so many processors (Xeon, Core Solo/Duo, Core 2 Duo) being released this year. :rolleyes:

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Rocketman said:
Core 3 Duo?

BTW I still say Powerbook G7 in 2007.

Thanks for the insight. Rare for a rumour site, even one that summarizes.

Rocketman

:cool:

Heh. Thanks.

Penryn is the die-shrink of Merom with a few other enhancements like a larger L3 (6meg vs 4meg for the T7xxx models, 3meg vs 2meg for the T5xxx models) -- I figure it means the die size stays the same but the smaller process size allows bigger L2, since L2 takes up a huge chunk of the die size on most modern processors. Oh, faster clocks too.

Whether it becomes Core 3 Duo or just a higher clocked Core 2 is probably more down to their marketing guys.

The next major change is Nehalem, due in 2008. I don't know a lot about it yet tho -- I've seen a few things but they've been conflicting. One discussion said Intel internally expected it to scale to 10GHz, but Intel said that about the Netburst (Pentium4) arch at one point, too, so a grain of salt may be required...

ergle2

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
HecubusPro said:
Well, if there's one thing you've proven since you've been here, is that you know your stuff. Pedantry doesn't apply to you. Extremely knowledgable? Definitely, and without being a prig about it as well.

I have enjoyed your information about Santa Rosa (among other subjects), and how it actually won't be the technological leap that everyone is purporting. Please continue to keep me informed. :)

Well.. the one thing the jury's out on with respect to Santa Rosa is Robson. That could make a huge difference. Of course, if it does, it can likely be "emulated" with USB flashmem -- it'll just stick out and look bad... ;)

Hopefully, the impression people have gotten for me is that Santa Rosa is worth having once it's here, but it's not something incredible. Rather it's evolutionary tech. Crestline's based on i965 (it'll be named i965 Express likely) and you can buy that today for Desktop systems.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Going on the Santa Rosa release date I expect that the MBP will get it's full redesign (easy HD replacement, mag latches, maybe even completely new case) then, not when they update to C2D in the next few months.

Personally I'm waiting on a small MBP. I might be waiting a while.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I know that easier HD replacement is a plus for the novice user, but really how often does someone replace their hard drives? An expert user who has never opened up a laptop before should be able to do a HD replacement. I had no problems cracking opening my current Powerbook 12" to replace the HD. Took me 20 minutes to strip it down, and 15 minutes to put it back together. Granted not as easy as pulling out a drawer and replacing it, but like I said, do people really replace their hard drives that often that it REALLY makes a difference?

As for Merom, I have made a final choice. Im placing my order right after Monday's event, regardless of updates or not.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Abraxsis said:
I know that easier HD replacement is a plus for the novice user, but really how often does someone replace their hard drives? An expert user who has never opened up a laptop before should be able to do a HD replacement. I had no problems cracking opening my current Powerbook 12" to replace the HD. Took me 20 minutes to strip it down, and 15 minutes to put it back together. Granted not as easy as pulling out a drawer and replacing it, but like I said, do people really replace their hard drives that often that it REALLY makes a difference?

As for Merom, I have made a final choice. Im placing my order right after Monday's event, regardless of updates or not.

I replace my harddrive everyday :p

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Abraxsis said:
Granted not as easy as pulling out a drawer and replacing it, but like I said, do people really replace their hard drives that often that it REALLY makes a difference?

I'd like to have a 160GB drive in my next laptop (replacing my 12" powerbook), Apple don't offer this yet and if they do it's likely to cost me an arm and a leg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.