Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleCandidate

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
did the 2d dock as well, improved performance, but not as good as Tiger - some choppiness with Genie effect, slow finder, slow opening of folders...

Nine'

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Archive and install on a C2D Macbook Pro, and things are noticably choppier than tiger. Not to say the system as whole isn't fast--it's definitely faster. But all the eye candy isn't very smooth.

Tiger was silky, but now expose is rather low fps, and it's certainly not a graphics limitation. Choppy isn't really the right word--it's not like the movements are jerky. There just aren't enough frames in the animations. I've found a notable quirk--minimizing a window happens in 3 frames (I counted) whereas maximizing is much more fluid, more than double that.

This feels like a software restriction rather than a hardware issue. Cover flow is sharp and very smooth--but expose, spaces, and minimizing windows aren't fluid.

Overall, it's been a fairly ho-hum upgrade--spotlight, mail, and iCal are much faster, everything is a bit quicker, but nothing ground-breaking for me yet.

Mack1N

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
erased and install...it took less than an hour to install leopard..everything seems snappy except for when it wakes up from sleep...sluggish! anyone else with this problem? thinking about doing another installation to see if it helps? what you guys think?

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Erase and Install

Leopard is quite speedy for me.. feels faster than Tiger in most apps.

I only get choppiness when I show all spaces at once.. but I think that is the GMA 950 in my Mini causing that.

I cut off the 3d dock because I like the 2D dock better, so I have to say I'm very pleased with Leopard performance.

Mac mini -

Core 2 Duo 1.83ghz
1Gb ddr2 667

danrodney

macrumors newbie
Non supported old machine doing just fine here

Thanks to the instructions on the these forums, I made a hacked version of my installer disk that allowed it to be installed on my Dual 800 G4 (1.25GB RAM). I formatted the drive and got a fresh install.

It's as fast or faster than 10.4, but I think it's faster! Not bad at all really. Stacks open much more smoothly than I expected. Spaces switches quickly. Typing it not slow, folders open very quickly. I can't wait to install on my MBP 15" I think it'll scream on that considering the speed on this really old machine. I think I'll do the same on the MBP... wipe the drive and fresh install. It's more work, but worth it in my opinion.

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Same here Mac Mini, serious jerky.

Same here on my Mini definitely a problem with the driver for the GMA950 IMHO. I have been having artifacts all over the place too (fixed by reboot).

My 2.1Ghz G5 iMAC seems much happier with Leopard though

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
My experiences down to the letter. Cleanout your dashboards and use a 2d dock and everything if super-fast. Faster than Tiger even.

I notice no slow downs on my iMac, Mac Pro, or MacBook Pro except on the 1GB machine when I run Parallels. (Leopard seems to use bit more memory.)

It pays to have a better graphics card, though.. the intel chip is dog slow. In normal use, and especially with a 2D dock, it is no big deal. But start doing lots of effects, or use a lot of spaces, and then run a 3D app, and the OS can start taking a lot of that GPU power away.

Running a game in full screen should get that power back, though.

I was running Second Life with 4 dual monitor spaces open (3d dock and all), all while adding 6 HD quicktime movies in their own spaces. SecondLife started to slow down a bit (I am running the 8-core Mac Pro, so CPU wasn't an issue), but not a lot.

It is all about the video card.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Something I found

I was a bit disappointed by Leopards boot time on my 2.1 GHz Macbook with 2 GB or RAM I expected it to be at least as good and maybe better than with Tiger.

Anyways I looked in activity monitor and noticed that the two Palm desktop "hotsync" services are both powerpc.

Got shot of them both and boot times really shortens now that no rosetta has to be invoked.

All palms elderly software is now gone as I rarely use it

odd it didnt seem to make that much difference under Tiger.

PS Palm as a company have really gone downhill. If anybody wants a PDA in this age I would say by a PocketPC or iPhone.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
Update...

Same here on my Mini definitely a problem with the driver for the GMA950 IMHO. I have been having artifacts all over the place too (fixed by reboot).

Fisrt Leopard install Archive and install....It was very sluggish especially with expose and stacks. Free HD space was about 27 GB. VM size in activity monitor was about 36 GB

Decided to do a clean install (erase and install). It looks to have fix the problem at 90%. I see expose to be choppy when a finder window is open and view is cover Flow. I attribute that to the GMA 950 chip used on a 22 in monitor. I freed up some HD space (now 40 GB). VM size : about the same). Also..I haven't installed Flip4mac (Divx) because some things I've read here about issues.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
I did archive and install originally and did notice some choppiness with visual effects. Erase & Install solved the problems.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Both iMac G5 and MacBook Core 2 Duo with "Upgrade" Leo install.

Both are about the same as in Tiger, but the dock is not smooth on both machines. I also noticed that GUI animation taking more % of CPU than before, for example now with only Software Update checking for new updates and activity monitor running, the WindowServer process is taking about 11-13% CPU on MacBook and 22-23 % on iMac. I dont think I like that.

BTW, 2D dock (on the side of the screen) is smooth on both Macs...

But I do like Spaces very much though :D And games seem to run a bit faster in Leo (tested UT2004 with SantaDuck toolpack - 31 fps in Tiger vs 32 in Leo on iMac, but the lowest FPS is up from 9 in Tiger to 12 in Leo)

bendermatic

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Milan, MI
A. Clean Install
B. MacBook Pro SR 2.4GHz
C. I had some serious stuttering issues that were caused by a bad Brother 8860DN printer driver. Once I installed the new drivers from Brother's site, things went back to normal. The only real complaint I have now is with the speed of Spaces.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I've installed Leopard on my 2.4ghz SR MBP with 4gb of RAM, and so far, I've found many common tasks to be noticeably faster than Tiger, and this includes docks, spaces, etc.

I archived and installed, but that seems to be unnecessary for me, as so far with my regular apps (Aperture, Photoshop CS2, iLife apps, etc), there appear to be no problem.

Concur but I have a 2.2 with 2GB. So replace all 4s with 2s but I still find it pretty fast. Nothing like lightining fast improvement, but Tiger was already pretty fast so no complaints.

babsuvulawho

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Straight upgrade on MacPro 2.66 with 5gb of memory

Noticeably faster.

Curiously, volume on all system sounds is much louder than before.

Same system here with 3GB of RAM and it's definitely snappier. Of course Leopard was built for the Mac Pro! :)

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Leopard is faster on both my 1.25 GHz MDD G4 and 400 MHz Sawtooth G4.

I did a fresh install on the 1.25 and an archive and install on the Sawtooth. Faster than Tiger in both cases.

armani

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I noticed that my display preferences pane was gone. Called Apple, could not fix it. I went for clean install. I would not say it made a big difference. May be it made, I just do not notice yet.

What about spotlight reindexing everybody is talking about? Does it do automatically?

I find very annoying to have to set up every finder window view. In Tiger there was something like "apply to all windows", now it is gone. Stacks are still sluggish in grid mode, but I noticed it is sluggish when there are different types of documents and pictures, if it is just folder it works ok.

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Archive and install?

I performed an "Archive and install", however it seems like it was an upgrade? Or something in between. My programs and settings are in OSX as if I did an upgrade, however they are also in a folder as if they were archived.

Performance has been sluggish with cover flow and launching applications. I killed every process that I could and that seemed to help speed things up a bit.

Would it be advised to perform a clean install?

Thanks,

Jesse

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I performed an "Archive and install", however it seems like it was an upgrade? Or something in between. My programs and settings are in OSX as if I did an upgrade, however they are also in a folder as if they were archived.

Performance has been sluggish with cover flow and launching applications. I killed every process that I could and that seemed to help speed things up a bit.

Would it be advised to perform a clean install?

Thanks,

Jesse

Just so you know... Archive and Install does NOTHING to your Home folder. It keeps all your network and user settings... and since MOST preferences and files are kept in the Users folder, the computer pretty much stayed the same. You'd have to use the "Customize" button on the Leopard install DVD to turn off "Preserve User and Network Settings".

ensjesse

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Just so you know... Archive and Install does NOTHING to your Home folder. It keeps all your network and user settings... and since MOST preferences and files are kept in the Users folder, the computer pretty much stayed the same. You'd have to use the "Customize" button on the Leopard install DVD to turn off "Preserve User and Network Settings".

Thank you for the info!
So a clean install would most likely be my best choice.

Jesse

GURU Jasho

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Interesting results from xBench

"Clean" install of Leopard on separate volume,

Genie and Scale effects (with SHIFT key) definitely slower than Tiger,
Spaces jerky,
Dock appearance not smooth as on Tiger.

Check the results from xBench, Disk Tests and User Interface Tests are much slower on Leopard, (strange).

There is one dirty workaround to improve speed little bit, use command line tool called beamsync, and disable Beam Sync.

$ beamsync -d

beamsync options are
-d option and disable; -a makes automatic, and -f forces beam synchronization .

Note: xBench will turn synchronization back on.

Attachments

• tiger.png
    tiger.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 86
  • leopard.png
    leopard.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 62
  • beamsync.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 113

HatefulMeaning

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Hi I'm kind of new to all this but, How do I do a "clean install"?
Just to point out..
I'm running Leopard on a Macbook Pro, 2.2 GHz Core2duo, 2 GB RAM, and 160 GB hard drive space. I did a upgrade because I didn't want to lose anything but everything runs slow, typing is slow, the dock and everything.
Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.