Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I wonder if you can't be sued by sling for not allowing their app on an iphone while on your network, but you can with sling with other handhelds using AT&T.

I wish... but it's at&t's network, they can pull the plug on all of sling's apps on their network (Windows Mobile version, etc.). Not a plausible case. It looks like the cell carriers may see a bright future ahead for mobile TV after all (even though up until now evidence has shown most people don't want to watch TV on the go). So now it's a race to try to offer similar services by the carriers on all the networks. Much like how TiVo has lost the DVR war to cable and satellite providers.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
People are pissed for the wrong reasons:

Sling- I don't fault them for having the app rejected. I'm sure they assumed that because blackberry could sling, so could iphone, i agree. AT&T will have to answer that one, soon. The reason i'm pissed at sling is because they are greedy. They tell us last month that the old 'classic' won't work with the iphone. Sling apologists say because of the inner workings of the classic wouldn't allow it to work on the iphone. Now we know better. Sling got greedy, that's why some should be irate with them. I'm a classic owner, so naturally i was not pleased with news, and this is what fuels my hatred toward sling media. They smelled an opportunity to cash in, and karma kicked them in the junk. Shame on you Sling. you got what you deserved (just my opinion)

AT&T- You're network stinks. You claim to 'have more bars in more places', but when tested, you know it will crumble. You've ruined what could be a great app because you're either not prepared, not smart enough to know when to upgrade your network, or too busy promoting your current network and how great it is as opposed to fixing your issues....your 3G network blows, and yet there are other wireless companies that are introducing 4G. I wonder if you can't be sued by sling for not allowing their app on an iphone while on your network, but you can with sling with other handhelds using AT&T.

Apple- people are complaining about your process on accepting apps. I understand that you need to do your 'due diligence', i have no problem with that. My problem is how hard did you look at the AT&T network on your own? did you take their word for it that they are good and sturdy? I thought the might hand of Apple would reign down on this issue, but we've found out that AT&T holds the power in this relationship..

I agree with everything you've said.

SlingMedia did get pretty greedy, unlike when it first started. I am glad I bought the Slingbox Pro back then, but I felt bad for those people who they left in the cold when they said the iPhone app won't support the older slingboxes. Fine, people finally accepted thinking maybe the older boxes are just not capable due to whatever reasons. And now after this "SlingPlayer can't sling over 3G BS, thanks to AT&T", SlingMedia said "hey, the older boxes will work with the iPhone app now". What kind of BS is that? I bet people who upgraded their SlingBoxes to use the iPhone app must be really pissed right now.

AT&T- they suck, period. :mad:

Apple, unless it's another $1000 bucks "I am rich" app or some trojan/virus app, please let it pass through the iTunes store. This process is turning developers away because after they spend all this time developing the app and finally submit it to the iTunes store, Apple tells them to go home because it didn't pass the evaluation, that's just very lame.

brian4610

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
I think this app is worth it even if *for now* it will only be available over wifi. When the dust settles and people complain, ATT will take back their stance over the app and it will be enabled to work on 3G. I already bought the app and from what I can tell so far, it's very well designed. This one app gives me enough motivation to want to jailbreak my phone once again so I can use it over 3G until ATT gets the stick out of their ass. It will happen, it's just a question of how long it will take ATT to change their stance.

@mrrydogg - Sling would have to remove like 10 lines of code in their app to make it work over 3G. Apple is rejecting it because they don't want **** from ATT.

i don't think AT&T can take it back, meaning they don't have the means to make sling work on their network...it would fold if Sling was on 3g.....AT&T needs to either beef up their network (significantly) for it to work.

slide16

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

dmk1974 said:
Only wifi "at this time"
I wonder what that means.

Orb was like that when it came out and then a couple days later added the edge/3g capability. Maybe sling player will do that as well.

I just would like to see if someone can test it with a Slingbox AV first. Screw Sling's "upgrade program".

I have both. The AV streams, can't change channels, stuck on the channel it's on, nothing else. It sucks. My new Solo works like a charm. I can do everything. I rebooted the AV, still streams only the channels it's on and no other controls.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, this worked perfect with 3G.
Take that AT&T :D
lol
Actually I cant tell the difference between Wifi and 3G slinging, they both look clear. Its not like youtube that looks grainy on 3G.
This hack alone is worth jailbreaking if you got a slingbox.

You'll need to jailbreak your iPhone and install the VoIPover3G package (if you haven't already).

Then, FTP into your iPhone and download
/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist
to your Mac.

Open this file in Property List Editor.

Add a String for com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer, like this:
picture4hoe.png

Save the updated VoIPover3G.plist and upload the new version to your iPhone (replace the original).

Reboot the iPhone.

And begin Slinging on the subway/wherever you have 3G!

chnews

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Wifi is wi-fine with me

I am a dedicated Slingbox owner and this app serves one purpose: it gives me a small screen TV I can bring to bed without keeping my spouse awake (unlike my laptop).

I just bought it and I'm using it on my iPod Touch. Tried AT&T and the iPhone last year; crappy reception everywhere in my city (Portland OR) and the iPod Touch does 95% of everything I wanted from the iPhone anyway. I am rarely without Wifi.

Works great. Still working through the Tivo 3 remote equivalents, and $30 is too much, but it's worth a little marital peace to me :)

It's fun. I'm happy so far. If you're a serious couch potato like me, you'll be happy they didn't wait for a 3G-war resolution to ship a Wifi version.

And is the takeaway point that AT&T are scumbags with worthless technology? We got that memo a long time ago.

chnews

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Small observations using iPod Touch and home wifi

1. I have an old Slingbox Pro and it works fine, but I did have to update the firmware today. Luckily, I was prompted to do that through the Mac version of the Sling Player application.

If you can't connect on the Slingbox Pro, make sure you have the right firmware.

2. I have my Slingbox connected to my Tivo 3. Most controls seem available, but the presentation is a little clunky. I don't see how to do a 30-second skip, and it will be a pain if it's not available.

3. I really wish the iPod Touch had 802.11n. A couple of buffering hiccups in the far reaches of my house.

4. Looks like you need to registered with Sling in order for the app to find your Slingbox. At least, I get that impression....if you didn't have to register, I'm curious how you connected (direct entry of IP address?).

Also curious to see how the works remotely....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, its always good to keep your slingbox's software up to date.
You basicly have to enter your email address and your slingbox password and it connects. Just like connecting from any desktop/laptop computer. No messing with IP adresses or anything.

1. I have an old Slingbox Pro and it works fine, but I did have to update the firmware today. Luckily, I was prompted to do that through the Mac version of the Sling Player application.

If you can't connect on the Slingbox Pro, make sure you have the right firmware.

2. I have my Slingbox connected to my Tivo 3. Most controls seem available, but the presentation is a little clunky. I don't see how to do a 30-second skip, and it will be a pain if it's not available.

3. I really wish the iPod Touch had 802.11n. A couple of buffering hiccups in the far reaches of my house.

4. Looks like you need to registered with Sling in order for the app to find your Slingbox. At least, I get that impression....if you didn't have to register, I'm curious how you connected (direct entry of IP address?).

Also curious to see how the works remotely....

Black.Ice.

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
I would love this app if.....

I COULD SWITCH CHANNELS. Swiping mechanism doesn't work. Keypad doesn't work either.

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
i don't think AT&T can take it back, meaning they don't have the means to make sling work on their network...it would fold if Sling was on 3g.....AT&T needs to either beef up their network (significantly) for it to work.

ATT wouldn't be able to handle it on a large scale, but think of it this way, how many people use Slingboxes to stream their TV over the internet, let alone use a mobile app to watch it on their phones. I'd probably be the only person within the radius of like 3 cell towers that would be using it. Not to mention, it's not that bandwith intensive. If they can handle YouTube, they can handle this.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
We all agree that AT&T needs to beef up their network (which sucks) but we also all know that it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

So understanding that AT&T network will remain as is, which is a better choice?

1) Sling on Wi-fi only
2) Sling on 3G/Edge, network gets even worse, speed slows down tremendously for internet, more calls get dropped

Facing the above two choices my vote is for #1. I agree that there should be a choice number 3, but face it, it isn't there. The downside to adding Sling on 3G/Edge far outweighs the benefits.

jenzo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2008
i have found using diskaid is a very easy method for editing the plist or anything else requiring ssh or ftp access. its free and it works like a champ!

http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/download.php

make sure you select root folder in the bottom left drop down.

works for mac and pc!

no this isnt an ad i have no affiliation whatsoever :)

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
I followed and repeated the process of Voipover3g mod and can not get it to perform its intended purpose.

Any tips?

This is the text from my .plist

{
Filter = {
Bundles = (
"com.Fringland.Fring",
"com.apple.AppStore",
"com.audiofile.Interstate",
"com.apple.MobileStore",
"com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer"
);
};
}

I'm editing with plist editor pro because i can't find non-pro to download. Anyone want to send me a new plist file if mine is the problem?

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
I followed and repeated the process of Voipover3g mod and can not get it to perform its intended purpose.

Any tips?

This is the text from my .plist

{
Filter = {
Bundles = (
"com.Fringland.Fring",
"com.apple.AppStore",
"com.audiofile.Interstate",
"com.apple.MobileStore",
"com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer"
);
};
}

I'm editing with plist editor pro because i can't find non-pro to download. Anyone want to send me a new plist file if mine is the problem?

My issue was with 2.2.1 - if you are running 2.2 or greater, you must install "Backward Compatibility" for mobile substrate layer before installing VOIPOVER3G. If you forget, just uninstall, then reinstall after. (remember to re-mod your .plist if you uninstall/reinstall).

iLad

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
The only way to strike back is to boycott the iPhone, App store and iTunes until it hurts Apple and AT&T so much financially that they do something about it. Also if you don't buy a new iphone this Summer, you strike a blow to both AT&T and Apple. It is time they learn that we the customers are in power not them. They must give us what we want. So let's start up a grass roots effort and boycott both companies. If we can elect our first African-American president via grass roots i'm sure we can teach these 2 fat, greedy companies that they can not get away with this.

Even if you don't care about Sling, your invested in this as it's just a matter of time before they pull some other crap that effects you.

FIGHT BACK, BOYCOTT APPLE AND AT&T. SAY NO TO NEW IPHONES THIS SUMMER!!!!

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
We all agree that AT&T needs to beef up their network (which sucks) but we also all know that it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

So understanding that AT&T network will remain as is, which is a better choice?

1) Sling on Wi-fi only
2) Sling on 3G/Edge, network gets even worse, speed slows down tremendously for internet, more calls get dropped

Facing the above two choices my vote is for #1. I agree that there should be a choice number 3, but face it, it isn't there. The downside to adding Sling on 3G/Edge far outweighs the benefits.

There is no choice. Only what AT&T tells you to do. The only sure facts are:
1. AT&T coverage sucks and they don't invest enough money in their network
2. They will not allow sling app on iPhone but with the other 5 mobile OS's it's OK

Anyone who thinks there is a chance of AT&T ever offering the sling app on 3g is fooling themselves.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I look forward to the day when Apple supplies iPhones through US carriers other than AT&T! That's when I'll say bye-bye to AT&T.

Mark

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I think they legitimately have something to worry about - there are a lot of iPhones out there...is it in ATT's interests to let it stream via 3G?

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I for one am excited. I wish I could access it over 3G but I will take what I can get. Can't wait to get it up and running! JailBrake might be in my future though...

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Since my first pissed off post about this release I've come to some new conclusions.

1) My older slingbox works just fine
2) Voipover3g eliminates the Wifi Requirement
3) The $30 fee isn't so bad when the other 2 are solved, plus i have my brother and a friend to split it with, so $10 each isn't so bad.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
can anyone confirm if it is possible to output the video to TV using AV cables?

I see no reason to believe this will ever be possible, the AV cables only output ipod videos, no menus and no other app content. Yes some developers have been shown outputting their games onto a tv during testing, but this is not going to carry over to a user experience (at least not yet)

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
The only way to strike back is to boycott the iPhone, App store and iTunes until it hurts Apple and AT&T so much financially that they do something about it. Also if you don't buy a new iphone this Summer, you strike a blow to both AT&T and Apple. It is time they learn that we the customers are in power not them. They must give us what we want. So let's start up a grass roots effort and boycott both companies. If we can elect our first African-American president via grass roots i'm sure we can teach these 2 fat, greedy companies that they can not get away with this.

Even if you don't care about Sling, your invested in this as it's just a matter of time before they pull some other crap that effects you.

FIGHT BACK, BOYCOTT APPLE AND AT&T. SAY NO TO NEW IPHONES THIS SUMMER!!!!

. otherwise the 2 big companies will step all over us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.