Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know where you guys are getting that it costs $200 for a Slingbox. The Slingbox Solo at Amazon is $148.

I have a Slingbox Solo and a Slingbox AV. Both work just fine with this app but both also have the latest firmware update.

As far as the app, it works. It's neat but kinda clunkly and slow. That's to be expected though.

wburnham

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
AT&T must answer....

AT&T must answer to everyone why all other smart phones except the iPhone can run this over 3G & Edge. If AT&T were to keep it this way on the iPhone, they should remove the ability on ALL smartphones to run this over 3G & Edge. AT&T must give us an answer on this!! Someone should take legal action.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Can someone give more details on how to use VOIPover3g? I don't understand it and it doesn't have instructions. Thanks in advance!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
FiOS TV and SlingBox

So has anyone hooked this up to their FiOS tv yet? If so, how is the video quality? I got the 20Mbps/20Mbps package and have been itching to take advantage of the fast upload speed with something like this. :)

DaveTo

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Can someone give more details on how to use VOIPover3g? I don't understand it and it doesn't have instructions. Thanks in advance!

1) Jailbreak
2) Go to Cydia and search for an app called VoIPover3G. Install it.
3) Read this post .
4) Your done.

charltonx

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
I find it very strange that O2 would release a statements to customers with regards to an American cellphone carrier. In truth, the decision for you to have no video streaming over your 3G is not AT&T's, but Apple's decision. It's Apple's decision not to allow Sling to release an App only available through the UK App Store.

Anyways, I'm sure the big wigs at O2 cried themselves to sleep the day their found out they couldn't allow video streaming over their 3G network. *Sarcasm off*. The truth is; no video streaming over 3G = your loss, not O2's.

I think you may have misread austy's post, go back and read it, you'll see there was no need for the sarcasm.

It does seem like the rest of the world are getting a watered down app just because ATT put restrictions on their network, I'm sure O2 would have no problems with its customers running this app over 3G.

I'll wait and see what happens, and if they allow it over 3G in the future I'll go out and buy a Slingbox.

staveb

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
Sling Player works on EDGE/3G on Jailbroken iPhone: com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer

I got Sling Player working over EDGE/3G!!!

Do this:

Add “com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer” to “/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist”.

Do a soft restart, then disable WiFi to see if SlingPlayer will start up…should work for you!

For those who know how VOIPOver3G works, I repeat the bundle identifier is “com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer”

…and it works!

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I don't know why people are saying you can't turn on your cable box from the application. That's incorrect.

Just use the "Remote" feature and press the "ON" button.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
So tell me, Sling users, how to you feel about coughing up $30 to pay for Slings R&D costs? It took them soooo much longer to develop this app than they thought that I guess they have suffered some kind of financial loss, and you're all making up for that with the hefty $30 price tag. For $30, those TV shows better play like DVDs.

It costs $30 for all mobile platforms. Everyone knew this beforehand.

Your comment about how they better play like DVDs reeks of ignorance.

rgreer

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
slingbox AV

Just downloaded and it works great with my Slingbox AV, don't go out and buy a new slingbox.

Andybrownstl

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Here is something I have not heard mentioned. With the bb, winmo, palm versions of slingplayer it can only be installed and used on one device. But iTunes app store allows me to install the app on all devices I own. Since we are a 4 iPhone, 2 iPod touch family that would mean I can put it on all six devices. In addition since I am running is 3.0 beta 5 I can switch from one iTunes acct to another directly from the iPhone. Soon everyone will be running 3.0 so conceivably I could allow access to my iTunes login info to my brother, cousin, friend, neighbor etc and give them all a free copy of this 30 dollar software. We could potentially cost apple hundreds of sales! Just because someone downloads the software from my iTunes acct they can still login using there specific sling account so they aren't watching my box. I think I am gonna give away 7 copies today just so I can screw sling for the 200 bux I paid to upgrade my old slingbox that they said wouldn't work but now appears to work cause I was the idiot that used there 50 dollar upgrade scan in anticipation of this crippled software. Won't get my money back but I will feel better that I cost them 7 potential sales!!

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Here is something I have not heard mentioned. With the bb, winmo, palm versions of slingplayer it can only be installed and used on one device. But iTunes app store allows me to install the app on all devices I own. Since we are a 4 iPhone, 2 iPod touch family that would mean I can put it on all six devices. In addition since I am running is 3.0 beta 5 I can switch from one iTunes acct to another directly from the iPhone. Soon everyone will be running 3.0 so conceivably I could allow access to my iTunes login info to my brother, cousin, friend, neighbor etc and give them all a free copy of this 30 dollar software. We could potentially cost apple hundreds of sales! Just because someone downloads the software from my iTunes acct they can still login using there specific sling account so they aren't watching my box. I think I am gonna give away 7 copies today just so I can screw sling for the 200 bux I paid to upgrade my old slingbox that they said wouldn't work but now appears to work cause I was the idiot that used there 50 dollar upgrade scan in anticipation of this crippled software. Won't get my money back but I will feel better that I cost them 7 potential sales!!

Yeah but the slingbox can only sling to one device at a time.

Andybrownstl

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Read my post again. They have their own slingbox and sling account. They are not gonna watch my box, once they install the software they can login to whatever slingbox they own or have access to

m-lo

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
What a crock!

$30 for a wifi only app? Most likely I'll be home when on wi-fi so whats the point? If I'm traveling I'll have my laptop. So att suck it! we should have the same capability as the crackberry and palm peeps

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer

I edited it with plist editer and formated just like the other strings
yet, it's not working

any ideas?

I overwrote the other file and also rebooted (hard reboooted) my phone

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
it looks like this but it's not working

729f06.jpg

any ideas? (overwrote the file, reboooted).

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
1) Jailbreak
2) Go to Cydia and search for an app called VoIPover3G. Install it.
3) Read this post .
4) Your done.

I am ready to Jailbreak my phone for this application (and for Skype!). At some point in the future, can the iPhone be reset to a non-jailbroken state if so desired??

jimbonator

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I was having some thoughts I'd like to share.

In ATT's press release, they did say "at this time" 3g is not available.
After much thought, I believe they will enable 3g once those who want the slingplayer have it and the "newness" and excitement have worn off.

I think they might have had some reason to fear everyone jumping on app store opening day for this and bringing 3g down big time. But if they delay the 3g, then when it is available, it won't be that big of a deal.

Of course those of you who have it already via jailbreak aren't enought to cause an issue either. So I'm thinking this was strictly a safety measure and they won't keep it away for too long (that being 3g legitly).

I hope this gut feeling is right...although it doesn't matter to me because I will jailbreak as soon as I get an iphone if it isn't available already :).

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I don't know why people are saying you can't turn on your cable box from the application. That's incorrect.

Just use the "Remote" feature and press the "ON" button.

They didn't realize you can scroll to the right on the "remote screen" to see more buttons.

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
can somebody post their .plist? or pm it

Maybe my formatting is slightly off.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
You'll need to jailbreak your iPhone and install the VoIPover3G package (if you haven't already).

Then, FTP into your iPhone and download
/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist
to your Mac.

Open this file in Property List Editor.

Add a String for com.slingmedia.SlingPlayer, like this:
picture4hoe.png

Save the updated VoIPover3G.plist and upload the new version to your iPhone (replace the original).

Reboot the iPhone.

And begin Slinging on the subway/wherever you have 3G!

Are there similar instructions for PC users? This appears to be using a Mac.

Thanks...I want my Sling on 3G!!

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
AT&T must answer to everyone why all other smart phones except the iPhone can run this over 3G & Edge. If AT&T were to keep it this way on the iPhone, they should remove the ability on ALL smartphones to run this over 3G & Edge. AT&T must give us an answer on this!! Someone should take legal action.

I agree... It's complete BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.