Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Apple practice planned obsolescence?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure, but probably

• Not sure, but probably not

Results are only viewable after voting.

markstafford747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
I came across this video that was recently uploaded by one of my favorite channels, Alltime Conspiracies. I thought it was rather interesting considering the upcoming release of the iPhone X.

Frankly, I wasn’t surprised by anything mentioned in the video with how long I’ve been following Apple. What do you you guys think about Apple's product strategy after watching?

Reactions: Jervasio

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I came across this video that was recently uploaded by one of my favorite channels, Alltime Conspiracies. I thought it was rather interesting considering the upcoming release of the iPhone X.

Frankly, I wasn’t surprised by anything mentioned in the video with how long I’ve been following Apple. What do you you guys think about Apple's product strategy after watching?

This video is everything anti-Apple and and tries to implicate that planned obsolescence is actually a priority with Apple. It's nothing more than a speculative and opinionated video that has no substantial truth behind it.

Downhilltenago

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Tucson, AZ
I'm not going to say apple plan for phones can to break. I will say my wife went through like 4 iPhone 7+ because the screen broke in very simple way. Literally her phone fell from the couch to the carpeted floor and the screen broke. Maybe those were all random bad luck. I'm not sure but they didn't make apple look good.

Reactions: goth_goro

markstafford747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
This video is everything anti-Apple and and tries to implicate that planned obsolescence is actually a priority with Apple. It's nothing more than a speculative and opinionated video that has no substantial truth behind it.
It's a conspiracy channel for a reason. ;) I clicked on the video expecting a far more one sided video, but I agree with @pika2000 on this just fueling the “‘planned obsolescence’ BS”.

The business side of me has trouble believing that Apple is naive enough to not implement at least a similar strategy, which has been adopted across many industries for the sake of continued sales. If that's not the case, what is Apple doing to guarantee their continued growth?

And I didn’t even mention Android for the exact same reason @pika2000 mentioned...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I'm not going to say apple plan for phones can to break. I will say my wife went through like 4 iPhone 7+ because the screen broke in very simple way. Literally her phone fell from the couch to the carpeted floor and the screen broke. Maybe those were all random bad luck. I'm not sure but they didn't make apple look good.

Hard to believe that a fall from sofa to a carpet will break the screen. There must’ve been something else causing it. As much as I baby my phones, occasionally they have fallen on concrete but not a single scratch on them.

Reactions: rugmankc and I7guy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The business side of me has trouble believing that Apple is naive enough to not implement at least a similar strategy, which has been adopted across many industries for the sake of continued sales. If that's not the case, what is Apple doing to guarantee their continued growth?

I understand it's a conspiracy video, which is why I indicated it has no factual evidence behind it. Fact is, Apple supports more iOS updates throughout the year then other competitors and their devices simply outlast most of the competitors as well in terms of software and hardware. Considering the iPhone is most popular iPhone in the world and it's 70% of Apples net revenue, I'm not sure that they need to "Guarantee" continued growth. Not to mention, how they are transitioning into a new form of security with Face ID and the iPhone X.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Yes, all smart phones are made the break. Yes, all TVs are made to break. Yes, all vehicles are made to break. Yes, all clothing that you wear are going to fail you. Yes, your Home will need replacements because they were built to fail. And yes our bodies are made to break.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple, and most businesses do have roadmaps of what they should do for future products. And unfortunately, DRAMs, SSD, and LiIon batteries do have finite lifespan, and that’s just how the technology is right now. To give Apple a bit of credit, they tend to use whatever newest tech that they can get in volume to give the best product they can make. Compare to some Android OEMs who still use lower grade/speed SSDs/chips just so they can sell their phones for less.

The idea of planned obsolescence is that it is intentional. I doubt that Apple intentionally release a gimped product hoping it to break prematurely. Nonetheless, as a consumer, we can be smarter in our buying behavior.

For example, I have the iPhone 5. It already has 1GB of RAM. I expect my next phone to have more RAM for better longevity. When Apple released the 6 still with just 1GB of RAM, I didn’t bite. I waited until the 6S. Something like that. There are turning points in tech where you will end up with an “obsolete” product sooner than you think because that’s the progress of the technology ie. buying an iPhone 5C when the 6 was released. The 5C was the last 32 bit iPhone, so one would expect it won’t have as much longevity at that point in time due to the transition to 64bit. Another similar thing was the Core Duo Macs, where they were 32bit.

There’s also the early adopter period. You pay more for early tech that may or may not last long. Example, the first iPhone, the first iPad. That’s the risk for being at the bleeding edge, first adopters. It’s not like Apple intentionally gimped those products, but they were the first iterations, so Apple was testing the market with the early adopters. The rest of us simply enjoyed the refined newer revisions of the products (iPhone 3G/3GS, iPad 2). This is not planned obsolescence, it’s the nature of a product cycle.

Considering the brand that Apple has right now, intentionally gimping products will hurt the brand. And the cost of that is a magnitude higher than whatever profit Apple is making. Apple is not stupid.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

The vast majority of buyers are either unaware of the possibilities or simply don't give a rat's patootie in the mob rush for the latest and supposedly greatest.
[doublepost=1508670552][/doublepost]
Yes, all smart phones are made the break. Yes, all TVs are made to break. Yes, all vehicles are made to break. Yes, all clothing that you wear are going to fail you. Yes, your Home will need replacements because they were built to fail. And yes our bodies are made to break.

OMG!

Reactions: akash.nu

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
People usually break them themselves due to klutziness. And then blame Apple. There made to break! Lol!

I think a lot of people see older phones slow down and start to act glitchy because they upgrade a 5 year old phone or whatever to a new software, meant for newer phones with upgraded internals and just don’t think about it.

Reactions: markstafford747

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think a lot of people see older phones slow down and start to act glitchy because they upgrade a 5 year old phone or whatever to a new software, meant for newer phones with upgraded internals and just don’t think about it.
The same people when I work on a PC i see run Windows 10 on something that came with Windows XP.

Reactions: Applefan4515

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Planned obsolescence? no.

There actually was a period in history when this was happening. It ended very quickly. Potential litigation outweighed any and all other benefits.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't think Apple plans anything.

I do however, believe that the quality of their product sometimes slips. Whether that's throigh a defect in manufacturing or poor quality assurance at one point or another, who knows.

In the case of iOS however, Apple is always trying to push the boundaries to what they can do. I think their willingness to break older devices with newer software in order to achieve their goals is probably percieved as planned obsolecence.

It's not that so much as Apple moving forward and older product being left behind. Those with the older products will of course, not take that well.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Absolute horse manure. iPhones are best in the industry in any metric you choose, from support period to update frequency to durability to ease / cost of repair. You couldn't make a more idiotic video if you were a paid shill.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Look up Sony Timer. Apple just happened to copy Sony again.

Before iPod and iPhone, devices had expandable storage, used universal standard to charge it, removable battery, and simple drag and drop files from your computer.

Now it's, "I'm running out of storage" or "I have to pay $80 to get a battery replacement" when a swappable battery cost a fraction of it. I expect the same typical answers. Apple can do no wrong. They all are guilty of it. LG probably did it with bootloops. HTC made Ones harder to fix.

Just keep buying and buying even if they don't care about you. Your new purchases from them is what they all care about.

0:16 mark

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I don't think Apple shortens the life of our phones. As iOS updates require more ram it will eventually bog down older devices. If I was buying today and wanted to use my phone for a few years or more, I'd only consider phones starting with 3 gigs of ram.

My 6s is still on 10.3.3 ... I don't plan to update it further. Eventually I will need a new phone to continue using some apps. Otherwise the hardware is fine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Chemtrails increase the probability of phones being dropped by changing the subatomic particles in the atmosphere.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.