Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Per a Spymac link, The Inquirer reports that speeds may reach 1.5Ghz at MWNY:

Well, it looks like MWNY might finally bring such a processor to the--albeit small--masses of Mac users: rumour has it that Motorola has actually started to get better yields of the next 74xx chip, and that in terms of clock speed it scales beyond expectations. Apparently enough to allow the introduction of a 1.5 GHz part, a nice 50% clock-speed increase--although it is unclear whether we might see it in a dual- or single-processor configuration.

Consistent with previous rumors, they go on to state that the new processors will support an improved FSB (Front Side Bus) to take advantage of DDR memory.

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
The Inquirers track record on rumors

is good or bad? Anyone familiar enough with this site to say how credible they are? Just curious.

Outsider

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
North Carolina
What process?

To achieve these speeds the G4 would need to get on a new process. A smaller 130nm processor MIGHT give them the MHz advantage. But for some other under the hood changes you would need to redesign some critical points such as the MPX bus (scale it to 200MHz or add DDR bus support) some added pipeline stages, maybe a built in memory controller. However this rumor sounds unlikely. I think we are more likely to see an Xserve based machine with a 74XX processor maybe on 130nm scaling to 1.4GHz.

Curiousstrngmint

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
PowerBooks

Does anybody think this will affect the Titanium?

Also, there was a thread a while back about a 1ghz Titanium in the fall. Does anybody know whether that's September fall or November fall? It'll make a difference. Thanks.

JamSoft

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2002
Rockford, MI
dual 1.5 sounds good to me....

Again, this is all just speculation and rumors. We could all pleasantly be surprised with the release of a 1.5 Ghz, but then what would the rest of the line look like? It would be weird to go from 1, 1.2, 1.4, and then 1.5 Ghz. If the rumors were about 1.6 Ghz then they would make more sense to me, but these don’t. The only way I could see if happening would be if the 1.5 Ghz wasn’t a dual processor... which would suck in my opinion :(

Lets just hope Apple can pull something out of the hat, because good ol Steve could just give us a speed bump of 1.2 Ghz and wait for MWSF 03. :mad:

only time will tell....

michaelyoung

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
um...spymac

when is the last time spymac was right about _anything_? spymac is like the Weekly World News of the mac rumor wolrd.. they stop just short of telling us that Aliens will deliver the 1.5ghz processors at MWNY..

iWalk anyone?

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
iWalk was a good while back, they've gotten better since then, but they still are not to be trusted.

That said, I don't find it too unlikely. We need the Speed boost, we need new chips, we need DDR. I want them, let hope Steve "said Yes," again.:D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
How can anyone tell what processor speeds will debut? Unless you know specifically what Motorola is doing, then how can you say that a 1.5Ghz chip is impossible while a 1.4Ghz chip is for sure going to come?

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Like I've said for the past month: 1.5GHz is nothing if the architecture of the G4 changes.

Here is what has been rumored of the new G4:
- 12 pipeline stages (up from 7)
- .13 micron manufacturing (down from .18)

Those two things could let the new G4 scale to 2GHz... easily. That's like the jump from P3 to P4. The P3 could scale to about 1.4GHz, the P4 will scale to at least 3GHz.

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Is it _possible_ that Motorola is getting off their butt's because of...

US ?

The discussion between even hard-core Microsoft-Hating Mac Users has been decidely anti-Motorola recently (for good reason). I wonder if they have taken notice of this ?

Oh, well. It never hurts to dream a little, and at least every once and a while believe, however misguided that belief is, that users might be heard every now and then :)

TL

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: PowerBooks

Originally posted by Curiousstrngmint

Also, there was a thread a while back about a 1ghz Titanium in the fall. Does anybody know whether that's September fall or November fall? It'll make a difference. Thanks.

i doubt we'll see a new tibook at mwny... but it coudl happen soon after. the only problem i see is that say they announce the new powermacs at mwny, which they will, they probably won't ship til august and maybe even september..... which in my mind would push back the tibooks a bit.... maybe october or november.... who knows

Holy S*%^!!! If they did release a 1.5ghz G4 then there would be a huge surge in orders for Apple! Do you have any idea how freakin fast that is? A machine at that speed would finish a SETI unit in 1 hour without breaking a sweat! OF course it is Spymac and the next time the get something right Hell will freeze over, but that would be so freakin cool!
In perspective 1.4 would be nice;) (Steve ;) ;) nudge nudge)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Question I have is that if a 1 gig G4 can hang with a 1.8Ghz P3 or P4 (or maybe even faster) at most applications, and even faster P4's at some applications, how fast must a 1.5Gig G4 be? That's got to be blazingly fast. Anyone venture a guess on how that would compare to the Intel/Amd offerings?

Catfish

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2002
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by mcrain
Question I have is that if a 1 gig G4 can hang with a 1.8Ghz P3 or P4 (or maybe even faster) at most applications, and even faster P4's at some applications, how fast must a 1.5Gig G4 be? That's got to be blazingly fast. Anyone venture a guess on how that would compare to the Intel/Amd offerings?

I know that it'll really smoke if it has DDR Ram, which seems likely.

Also, I agree Spymac isn't all that reliable, but if you read the post fully it is a link to Spymac which is linked to The Inquirer - a very reputable IT journal. Well, often enough anyway. ;)

BRING BACK THE CUBE. (There, I've said it)

nicely

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
If what Rice_Web says turns out to be true...the 1.5 GHz won't be as fast as if the current line of processors scaled that high. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy one and love it. It'll be faster than the current line up, plus DDR.

If they add stages to the pipeline to gain scalability in terms of megahertz, that's fine by me. We still have the advantages of alti-vec and may gain some market share because people still look at processors in megahertz. Sad, but true.

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Spymac hasn't been all that bad since the whole iWalk bs. About as reliable as any rumor page can be.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Well, the next batch of G4s is also rumored to sports 4MB L3 Cache and 512K L2 Cache, which would virtually cancel the effect of the longer pipeline.

So, if we see cache improvements along with DDR, the new G4 may just run at the same speed as the old G4, megahertz for megahertz. So, 1.5GHz would be #%^&@ fast.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
hmmmmmm so apple will release a 74XX chip this summer. That's bad news for you G5 fanatics. IF apple does come out with either the 7560 or 7470 this summer then the 7500 is coming in January. So you can wait another whole year before the G5 is unvailed.

Personally I'm tired of this G5 talk. The G4 is a great chip for video editing and i don't care if its going to be 1.5 or 1.4 or whatever. 1.5 seems to high, especially for a 7470. 1.4 makes the most sense, 1.2 would just be a disapointment. We just can't have 200 MHZ jumps every six months. Especially after we already dropped the price of the Dual 1GHZ months ago.

Do you remmember when we would jump up 33MHZ every six months? You knew that eventually we would have scale much higher then just 33MHZ or now 200 MHZ, so bring on a 400 MHZ jump, I'm ready for it and i'm sure many of you are also.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Come on people, it's going to be 1033 MHz! Don't get your hopes up!!!

On the other side. SpyMac did nail the eMac pretty good... Damn I'm going into HHD again (hoping, hoping, droool) :p

Marianco

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
If Apple releases at least a Dual 1.5 GHz G4 with DDR RAM and a much higher bus bandwidth, let me be first in line!!!!!! I'm definitely ordering a new Macintosh.

Other wishes for Powermac:
1. Quad processors!!!!!!!!
2. Bus Bandwidth, Bandwidth, and more Bandwidth.
3. 4U Rackmount case with shorter depth to fit in
portable SKG rack mount cases.
4. Built-in RAID
5. Front-mounted USB and Firewire Ports
6. Firewire 2
7. Space for TWO 5.25 inch drives.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: PowerBooks

Originally posted by Curiousstrngmint

As a Ti user heating is a big issue. When the 74xx chipset offered higher speeds at lower temps through use of lower power and lower micron process, it became practical.

I suspect it will take another technical leap to justify faster speeds in Ti. Someting which might be forthcoming, but just not quickly.

Ti offers amazing capabilities in a portable package, speed being lower on the list after connectivity, OS compatibility (it runs EVERYTHING) and of course a no compromise screen and display output options. And this describes the OLDEST Ti's!

Rockletman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.