Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
The refurbs are still a better value, plus they come with free shipping! Too bad you can't have Apple upgrade the ram.:rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
are you joking? im assuming so but incase your not.

Refurb is $2,699...
AKA $101 more.

Well, you are a nube so here is a little hint. That little emoticon on the poster's post that has a face looking up with a smirk... that means he is being sarcastic. Yes, he is joking.

Don't look over the emoticons. They are your friend.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Personally I'm waiting for gen 2. I think this price drop 2-3 weeks before the Montevina Platform is to be released is a good omen.

Gen 2 MBA may have the 128 GB SSD drive which supposedly is much faster and more power efficient. Couple that with a Montevina higher bus speed, better integrated graphics card, and a Penryn CPU and you will have a killer ultra-portable.

Let's hope for a Gen 2 MBA before end of July.

Absolutely none of these things will happen in July. Most likely we will not see MBA 2 this year.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
For me, if the only real difference in what I am carrying is 2lbs, then it isnt that much more desireable than just having a MB or MBP.

As a 17" MBP user, I agree, but as the significant other of a MBA wanter I see where they are coming from. They save weight by subtracting that 2lbs from their notebook, and everything else in their bag.

And I'd rather Apple have made a 12" Sony TZ like computer, a model which still weighed less, had two USB ports and a tray loading optical drive. Even if they took out the optical drive I'd be happy and it would have made the computer weigh that much less, or free up space for more hardware.

I'd still carry the 17" over anything else though.

I noticed that as well. When at the store I usually open as many apps at once as I can to see how stable and fast the machine is. Surprisingly, the Air does well with apps that don't have splash screens and once the apps are open it's a pretty speedy machine... and I am talking about PS elements, iWork apps, Quark, MS Word all open at the same time, I am sure Air users won't be doing all that at once.

And that machine was the 1.8 with 64GBs. I agree as well that after you put out the $500 for the SSD, you might as well put out the other $200 and grab the faster chip as well.

...as long as you don't mind the fact that anyone in the vicinity can intercept your connections and eavesdrop on your activity. ;)

Agreed, I do admit that when I first setup my Airport I had it unprotected.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Hey chupa, good to hear some of the old timers here backing up our hopes and projections for an update, whilst some newer guys swear that no updates within the next months will take place. And, lol, great way to put it, about the stale going moldy...but it's so true. Could you please, if you get the chance explain what you mean by apple's m.o. of keeping 4-6 weeks inventories? Does that mean that they keep ready to go about 4-6 weeks of projected sales in equipment?

Actually, I find the eager, overly optimistic new guys are the ones that see updates soon. I think if you take a sober look at the Penryn CPU roadmap, Intel's failure to meet demand for their Atom processor, Apple's rumored plans to release a new silver Macbook chassis for Fall/ the Holidays, and MBA's place in the lineup as more boutique machine, the safer bet is a later MBA update rather than sooner.

I think it's a mistake to look at a price drop as anything but a price drop. , after all the Edge iPhone had a price drop 2 months after release... and 3G iPhone has yet to be released.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Then the MBA isn't for you. What would be the point if you have to be wired to a modem all the time?

It sure isn't for me, it doesn't have an optical drive or the ports I want and is too expensive for what it offers, IMO. But my point is, there are people who would love to have it, but the lack of features prevents them from buying one.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

It sure isn't for me, it doesn't have an optical drive or the ports I want and is too expensive for what it offers, IMO. But my point is, there are people who would love to have it, but the lack of features prevents them from buying one.

wait... they'd love to have it, but they don't like the lack of features? So.... they wouldn't love to have it. :confused:

You just don't get that the macbook air isn't for them then. It's meant for those people who only need one USB port and don't use the optical drive.

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
wait... they'd love to have it, but they don't like the lack of features? So.... they wouldn't love to have it. :confused:

You just don't get that the macbook air isn't for them then. It's meant for those people who only need one USB port and don't use the optical drive.

As a former iMac G4, Macbook, MBP owner I have tried them all and as a Mac Genius for Apple, I can say this computer is great for the grad student who need a light notebook but not all the power of a pro. Yes the price is a bit high. However, this a 1st run idea and the prices will drop again (usually by the fall). I can see both sides of the coin and even my friends who are hard core mac users can bring themselves to drop this much when they can get a pro. As a grad student this works well for me even if the price is slightly high, but the size and weight make up for it.

You have to carry a power adapter with all laptops if you're going out for any length of time. That still makes the MBA more portable, since the computer is lighter, even if the adapter isn't. I haven't used ethernet on the road with my PowerBook in years. The only USB device I even carry is a USB stick, so it's drastically unlikely I would need a hub. Explain to me why I need any of these external devices again?

I think we are so use to carrying and having these options, ports, and drives, we have a hard time changing our habits. Honestly I would miss having a firewire drive. But I can get over that.

Why wouldn't Apple just add a larger solid state drive as a BTO option?

I think that will happen sooner than later. I would say late summer/fall time frame.

Look at the refurb i found

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
2GB memory
64GB solid-state drive
Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Built-in iSight Camera
Learn More
• Save 13% off the original price
Original price: $3,098.00
Your price: $2,699.00

Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

I keep going back and forth in my mind about this issue. Even though I would say this is a great computer for a student/professional there is a part of me, which thinks the price is still too high and the pro may be a better choice. I guess I am washy about it. Still, the MBA is a cool idea. Perhaps this a the base for a new design later this year.

Awesome! Still too much for me, though. I wonder what caused the price drop. SSD price reductions?

I wonder if the sales are low or they may stop the production of these units soon. Crap that would suck.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I wonder if the sales are low or they may stop the production of these units soon. Crap that would suck.

You can combine posts there thecartoonguy. Making multiple posts takes up a lot of space.

They lowered the price on the Apple store because the prices got lowered by the manufacturers.

As for the port question, I am begging for more on my MBP, and a second internal HDD.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I think it's a mistake to look at a price drop as anything but a price drop. , after all the Edge iPhone had a price drop 2 months after release... and 3G iPhone has yet to be released.

Possibly, but if intel has the chips ready and larger SSD drives are available, why wouldn't Apple update the MBA? It is a cutting edge ultra-light laptop and I think Apple needs to keep it up-to-date. Otherwise the competition is going to blow by them.

If the MBA doesn't get updated then the MBPs should be updated. Montevina is coming July 14th and Apple needs to keep up with the competition which will be releasing new Montivena based laptops in July or August.

As for the port question, I am begging for more on my MBP, and a second internal HDD.

Maybe Apple will update the MBP and allow both a HDD and a SSD drive in combination. The SSD would be great for the OS, fast boot, and cache. A HDD drive would be for mass storage, music files, docs, photos, etc.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Possibly, but if intel has the chips ready and larger SSD drives are available, why wouldn't Apple update the MBA? It is a cutting edge ultra-light laptop and I think Apple needs to keep it up-to-date. Otherwise the competition is going to blow by them.

If the MBA doesn't get updated then the MBPs should be updated. Montevina is coming July 14th and Apple needs to keep up with the competition which will be releasing new Montivena based laptops in July or August.

I hope Apple does keep up.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
IF this had built in ethernet and firewire I might consider it. As it is right now, I find it too limited to be practical for my needs. I think a lot of people agree--one USB port is not nearly enough!

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Possibly, but if intel has the chips ready and larger SSD drives are available, why wouldn't Apple update the MBA?

well, for one reason... as of right now the larger (capacity) SSD drives are also physically larger (3mm thicker). of course there will be larger drives that fit at some point-- that's inevitable-- but they haven't been released yet.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
WiFi "protection"

Originally Posted by AidenShaw
...as long as you don't mind the fact that anyone in the vicinity can intercept your connections and eavesdrop on your activity.​

Agreed, I do admit that when I first setup my Airport I had it unprotected.

The error here is to assume that setting up protected access on WiFi does any good....

Goto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security for a list of risks, and even links to programs that can crack WPA encryption in minutes. (WEP is so weak that it shouldn't even be considered as protection.)

This is why it's becoming more common for businesses to only accept VPN, IPsec and other strong encryption tunnels running on top of unprotected WiFi.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I think you mean the MacBook Pro. You can't get a RAM upgrade for the Air.

Mac Pro RAM is not only desktop RAM, but it's FB-DIMMs. And it's Apple. It's always expensive.

It's not really desktop memory, it's workstation / server memory.

logic says the higher the price the better the product. but in the mba case, the price is just all for looks. No way would I spend a thousand dollars more because I want to save .003 inches in my bag.

If you're talking about logic, then you shouldn't use ridiculous hyperbole in the same paragraph. The average thickness of the MBA is half that of the MB. Even the thickest point is 0.250" thinner. The weight savings can be significant, if you've ever had the fatigue of a 6+lb bag hanging on your shoulder for eight hours straight, you'd appreciate having lighter gear.

While wi-fi is nice, it is still slower than having an ethernet plugged in. PLus (while my mac never had this problem), I had problems with my windows machines being able to see each other wirelessly. My mac on the other hand, recognizes all my computers as soon as I fire it up.
So then, as long as you're not running Windows on your Mac, that's not a problem.

Also at times it is more secure to turn off wifi and be plugged in (when I am doing my taxes or bill-pay through my bank). Although I live in a rural areal, so no one would really be snooping my network anyway.

A snoop would have to crack both WPA (don't use WEP or no encryption) and SSL in order to see your data that way.

bah...MBA is a huge joke. MBP destroys it and all other computers.

Why are geeks so obsessed with destruction? Are you that angry about computers?

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
haha. that would be funny if it said:

• Save 13% off the original price
Original price: $2,598.00
Your price: $2,699.00

I've always found apple's policy of listing the ORIGINAL price instead of the CURRENT NEW price for refurb'd products to be misleading at best, unethical, and one of those advertising deceptions that ought to be outlawed. (I was once a newspaper consumer reporter, btw, so you can factor that into your analyses of my biases).

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
SATA will not fit MBA.

It will, if they update the MBA with the new Montevina platform from intel due out July 14th as per my original post.

The new platform will fit into the current MBA. Only problem is that it runs slightly hotter. No problem, clock down the Penryn CPU and it fits the MBA current spec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.