Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
$15.22 for Apple remote on the SSD, but still $19 for the baseline...lol.

Also, why is it $150 more in Canada for the SSD machine? Lame.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
This actually makes it a bit easier to consider the high end MBA. Before, I couldn't see getting the fiancee a book that costs more than the 17" MBP (or Mac Pro) with far less features no matter how thin and light it was.

it's still a bit much but at least it's $2600 instead of $3100. Still may get the 1.6 with 80GBs, but may consider the 1.6 with 64GB, or the 1.8 with 80GBs.

Agreed, but personally I don't see the value in the 1.8/80. I doubt under normal usage you'd see 0.2 GHz difference.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I've been very close to buying the MBA several times and I have set my mind to getting one of next generation but I still would like to see one or two additional ports. I understand the space constraints, but what about a miniUSB or miniFireWire? Maybe they can find some space for that somewhere. Sure, I would need to either carry a miniUSB to USB adapter (but these things are really tiny) with me or get some miniUSB to miniUSB cables.

I still say just give it one more USB port and give the super drive a standard bridge so that it can be used on any book with a USB port.

Just adding one more port on the MBA would make it that much more desirable.

Agreed, but personally I don't see the value in the 1.8/80. I doubt under normal usage you'd see 0.2 GHz difference.

Yeah, I agree. I just went to the page and it's only a $200 price difference for the SSD with 1.6, and the 0.2 GHz won't matter much when we still have to deal with a 4200 rpm drive. Best to settle for either the base model or the high end.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
This actually makes it a bit easier to consider the high end MBA. Before, I couldn't see getting the fiancee a book that costs more than the 17" MBP (or Mac Pro) with far less features no matter how thin and light it was.

it's still a bit much but at least it's $2600 instead of $3100. Still may get the 1.6 with 80GBs, but may consider the 1.6 with 64GB, or the 1.8 with 80GBs.

Personally I'm waiting for gen 2. I think this price drop 2-3 weeks before the Montevina Platform is to be released is a good omen.

Gen 2 MBA may have the 128 GB SSD drive which supposedly is much faster and more power efficient. Couple that with a Montevina higher bus speed, better integrated graphics card, and a Penryn CPU and you will have a killer ultra-portable.

Let's hope for a Gen 2 MBA before end of July.

JasonMac

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Personally I'm waiting for gen 2. I think this price drop 2-3 weeks before the Montevina Platform is to be released is a good omen.

Gen 2 MBA may have the 128 GB SSD drive which supposedly is much faster and more power efficient. Couple that with a Montevina higher bus speed, better integrated graphics card, and a Penryn CPU and you will have a killer ultra-portable.

Same here

icecold0913

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
NOLA
No Firewire, no purchase.
No true ethernet port, no purchase.
No video out, no purchase.
Just a single USB port, no purchase.

That easy to make it right!

...no built-in toaster, no purchase.
no vhs player, no purchase.
no electrical outlet for plugging in my toaster that's not built in, no purchase.
no cupholder, no purchase.
no 500 terabyte hard drive, no purchase.

...seriously? like, really?:confused:

why don't you just buy a mac pro and carry it around like a laptop? i know it's not exactly "portable"- but at least it has all those damn ports!

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
You have to carry a power adapter with all laptops if you're going out for any length of time. That still makes the MBA more portable, since the computer is lighter, even if the adapter isn't. I haven't used ethernet on the road with my PowerBook in years. The only USB device I even carry is a USB stick, so it's drastically unlikely I would need a hub. Explain to me why I need any of these external devices again?

For me, if the only real difference in what I am carrying is 2lbs, then it isnt that much more desireable than just having a MB or MBP. I want the MBA to be the next level in portability. Have a fair selection of ports, and a very strong battery. The machine sacrifices too much for its form factor. And dont tell me its impossible to do, as several other manufacturers have machines that best the MBA in hardware within the same size constraints.

Of course, if the MBP and MB were not so damn good and relatively compact to begin with, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
the mac air is a nice machine, but it really is only for a tiny luxury market.
I have yet to see one in a public setting nor do i know anyone that has one.
I am a college professor and none of my students could afford one.

I think apple missed the boat on this one, the price is just not competitive with other laptops, especially the way the US economy is going down the tubes.

The difference in thickness does not justify the price for most people. Thats why macbooks are doing better in sales overall.

I've seen many many many Airs in a public setting. Especially when traveling by airplane. In fact, I've seen more Airs than I have MacBook Pros.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
...no built-in toaster, no purchase.
no vhs player, no purchase.
no electrical outlet for plugging in my toaster that's not built in, no purchase.
no cupholder, no purchase.
no 500 terabyte hard drive, no purchase.

...seriously? like, really?:confused:

why don't you just buy a mac pro and carry it around like a laptop? i know it's not exactly "portable"- but at least it has all those damn ports!

lmao

no starbucks coffee maker, no purchase :D

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Yeah, I agree. I just went to the page and it's only a $200 price difference for the SSD with 1.6, and the 0.2 GHz won't matter much when we still have to deal with a 4200 rpm drive. Best to settle for either the base model or the high end.

Opening programs for the first time as well as doing a cold boot is noticeably slower on my MBA than on my 24" iMac. Once the programs are open or have already been open once, the difference between the machines isn't very noticeable. As you said, the HD is the bottleneck and not the processor. Granted, if I were to go for the SSD, I'd possibly consider going all the way and getting the 1.8.

I wonder if the X300 from Lenovo will see similar price cuts.

ij3ffy, regarding the displays, Apple must be waiting to go all LED for their next lineup. It wouldn't make sense to refresh the ACD dramatically now without an LED display.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

What I don't think we'll see is a revision that includes any substantial changes to the case, such as additional ports. If Apple can fit a larger SSD or HDD into the current one, though, I think they'll do it. Before end of July would be great, although I think that's overly optimistic. But maybe by fall.

To those who question why anyone would pay a premium for a MBA when they can get more for less from a MB or MBP, two pounds does make a difference if you have to carry the computer over your shoulder all day, at least to some people.

The MBA may be a niche product for now, but over time I think that lightweight laptops (say, less than four pounds) will move into the mainstream as vendors are able to pack more into their small form factor. That's been true historically as laptops went from luxury products to desktop replacements.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC

How about people who don't have wireless routers? I'm the only one in my family who has a wireless enabled machine, so they don't see the need to buy a wireless router for just one person.

Ethernet is still a very viable way to get internet.

Then the MBA isn't for you. What would be the point if you have to be wired to a modem all the time?

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
well I'm not using Ethernet, unless it's a desktop. If you have a password on your wifi there shouldn't be a problem. I thought the whole point of a laptop was portability. There's not much portability if your plugging a huge yellow cord into your laptop.

I don't know if you're in school on in the workforce yet, but many companies (and almost all gov. installations) won't have anything to do with wireless. The various security conferences have shown time and time again that the wireless protocols are insecure. Sure, they are fine for your home or the coffee shops, but beyond that they just aren't there yet.

The point of the laptops I've owned over the years has been the ability to take my work with me. That's the portable piece and the point of a laptop.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I don't know if you're in school on in the workforce yet, but many companies (and almost all gov. installations) won't have anything to do with wireless. The various security conferences have shown time and time again that the wireless protocols are insecure.

My company's wireless access points are open and without passwords or any security.

They're also configured so that the only IP address that they can connect to is our corporate VPN server pool. When you get the wireless connection, you need to log in through the two-factor VPN authentication, otherwise you can't access anything.

Therefore all traffic is protected by the secure VPN protocols - not the wireless insecurity protocols.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
How about people who don't have wireless routers? I'm the only one in my family who has a wireless enabled machine, so they don't see the need to buy a wireless router for just one person.

Ethernet is still a very viable way to get internet

You can just get a router for real cheap and plug it up to one of the home computers, then plug the computer back into the router via ethernet.

Wireless routers aren't really that big of a deal. They aren't hard to get or hook up. Ethernet is still a viable way to connect to the Internet, but having an ethernet port isn't that much of a must have feature anymore. And I'd rather have my MBP not have one to get another FW port or eSATA port in there.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Wireless routers aren't really that big of a deal.

...as long as you don't mind the fact that anyone in the vicinity can intercept your connections and eavesdrop on your activity. ;)

I just noticed that the airport that I'm at is using a VPN for all wireless - so that even the free wifi is safe.

AnchorFree
Public networks (both wired and wireless) are great. After all, what would life be without connecting while at airports, hotels and coffee shops? ...
http://www.anchorfree.com/hotspot-shield

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.