10.14.5 Mail Opens by Itself

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by SpiritSoul1008, May 23, 2019.

1. SpiritSoul1008 macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Hello. since updating to the newest macOS Mojave update, Mail has been opening by itself periodically and it getting very annoying and I don't know what is prompting it. If I am in full screen mode, mail will open and take up the right side of the screen also. I have tried reinstalling the operating system over the current installation to see if the system could rebuild itself and fix the issue but this was not successful. Thank you for your help.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2019 ---
    Also, I installed the supplemental update on my 2018 MacBook Pro, and this did not fix the issue. Also, Mail is not in my startup items.

2. Kuba77 macrumors newbie

I've got exactly the same issue with mail on my 2015 Macbook Air...

3. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Hope someone comes up with a fix.

4. chabig macrumors 603

5. Kuba77, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

Kuba77 macrumors newbie

No, it's not that. Mail app is not open - it's just running in the background. Periodically, when I'm in full screen (working in another app), Mail just opens up by itself and takes up the right side of the screen - just like SpiritSoul1008 said.

But I give it a try and deselect this option - who knows, maybe it helps...

6. chabig macrumors 603

What does it display on the right side of the screen? A new message window? A received message? The accounts list?

7. Kuba77 macrumors newbie

It displays entire Mail app on the right side - The accounts list, list of recieved messages and preview of one selected message.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2019 ---
    Well, deselecting this option didn't help...

Just found more complains about it:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/bs8hiw/mail_app_keeps_popping_up/

- It now seems this bug is quite common after 10.14.15 update

8. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

I have the same issue. Apple fixed the failure to connect to Gmail, but replaced it with this. At least it's downloading messages, but this is an annoyance.

9. saudor macrumors 6502a

This has been happening to me since the initial release of mojave

10. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Didn't work for me either.

11. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Anyone able to see what's going on in the console when this happens?

12. jandrso macrumors newbie

jandrso

Check your Energy Saver settings in Preferences. Turn off Power Nap to see if that eliminates the issue. I have seen it happen in a few instances on my MBP 2018 with OS 10.14.5

Attached Files:

13. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Thank you, I'll try it and see, and let you know.

14. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Still opening by itself after disabling Power Nap.

15. jandrso macrumors newbie

jandrso

Well now that's truly annoying.

I am trying to replicate on my 10.14.5 right now. When you say it is in the background are you saying the inbox window is closed and app running as an open procces or window minimized with app running?

Also, are you getting the usual mail notification on the left of the Dock when you are checking or getting email on the iPhone? (Assuming you have one).

16. Nodens macrumors newbie

Nodens

If I remember correctly, I always had this issue with Mojave. It just became more frequent with 10.14.5.

17. chabig macrumors 603

I think this is the key. If we can figure out how to replicate it, we might learn what to undo. Personally, when I am full screen on my MacBook Pro, Mail behaves exactly as it should and newly arriving mail messages open in split screen only if I click on the banner notification. (Which gets me thinking--I have Mail notifications set to banner. Where are yours?)

18. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Yes, continuity is working and mail is displayed on the left of the dock when viewing on an iPhone. It is just open as a background process but not open on the screen.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2019 ---
    Banners.

19. Kuba77 macrumors newbie

1. Mail app is in the background - I mean the inbox window is closed and app running as an open procces.
    2. Yes, I'm getting mail notification on the left of the Dock. There's nothing wrong apart from this little, but annoying bug.

20. chabig macrumors 603

Both Mission Control and Spaces are controlled by the Dock process. Try dragging your Dock preferences to the Desktop and restarting your Mac. The preferences are in a file called com.apple.dock.plist. That file is in ~/Library/Preferences/ where ~/ is Unix shorthand for your home folder.

If it works you will have to arrange your Dock icons again and maybe rest some Dock, Spaces, and Mission Control Settings. If not, put the old preferences back and restart again.

21. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Will give it a try and let you know.

22. SpiritSoul1008 thread starter macrumors newbie

SpiritSoul1008

Mail is still popping up.

23. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

I'm seeing the same issue as OP. The Mail app pops up regardless if it's "hidden" (i.e. I hit the red button to close it out of the window) or if it's visible in its non-fullscreen form on the desktop. It pops into full screen and takes up the right side split view when this happens, very frustrating. I've seen this happen on older updates before but they were incredibly rare; after updating to 10.14.5 this happens about every 10-15 minutes.