Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Help, my wife just downloaded the Java 1.4.2 Update 2 and Security Update 2005-002. When trying to do the installation, she received an error message: This isn't the software update that you need. What should she do now? :confused:

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
wdlove said:
My wife still is having problems on her 15" PowerBook. Safari crashes and she is having Java Script problems. So she is currently downloading and installing Java 1.4.2 Update 2 and Security Update 2005-002.

She was wondering if she will need to download any of the other updates again.?

What websites? Any Safari plugins installed?

Anything of note on the following site?

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
wdlove said:
Help, my wife just downloaded the Java 1.4.2 Update 2 and Security Update 2005-002. When trying to do the installation, she received an error message: This isn't the software update that you need. What should she do now? :confused:

Which update is saying that?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
aegisdesign said:
I'd guess that most if not all of the Java developers had the Java3D stuff installed. If they had that, it seems the problem doesn't occur. The 2005-002 security update just replaces Java components that the 10.3.9 update trashes if you've not got Java3D.

I've updated two machines. One had no problem at all but I'd installed Java3D and all the other Java updates along the way. The second did have problems and it hadn't the Java3D update as that didn't get delivered via Software Update.

Interesting... I believe one of the systems that had no issues did not have Java 3D installed, at least I don't know why it would have (the system's users would have no need)... however it isn't here at the moment for me to check.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I love all the people claiming the problem being open Java Apps running while doing updates. :confused: WTF, normal people do not have ANY applications running during updates except the software updater. Common sense in my opinion.

Another issue could be from people running as admin all the time. I think it is probably fine for normal users, but power users who constantly install new stuff and push their machines should probably not run as admin 100% of the time.

Never once had a problem with any Apple updates.

-mark

Kairy

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2004
Java glitch and Azureus Bittorent

my Azureus 2.2.0.2 bittorent manager stopped working after 10.3.9

reinstalling the Java 1.4.2 (26MB) update, did the trick.

resuming all downloads ... :D

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Strange bug in that it isn't effecting everyone. Also a pretty easy fix if it works. I hope (most likely in vain) that 10.4 won't be buggy.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
my wife just downloaded the Java 1.4.2 Update 2 When trying to do the installation,> received an error message:my wife even tried java 1.4.2 update 1, and keep getting a error message > that says i do not have the java package to install any of those java update, where would she get this java package??

but note check the software update logs and i shows those updates have been installed.

what is the problem

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
avkills said:
I love all the people claiming the problem being open Java Apps running while doing updates. :confused: WTF, normal people do not have ANY applications running during updates except the software updater. Common sense in my opinion.

Another issue could be from people running as admin all the time. I think it is probably fine for normal users, but power users who constantly install new stuff and push their machines should probably not run as admin 100% of the time.

Never once had a problem with any Apple updates.

-mark

Not sure what your beef about running in admin is, but I do about 90% of the time, and I have had no problems of this sort ever with an update, including this one. I would say its the other way around. If you don't know what your doing, you can screw your system while running in admin. I know when to allow something and when not to. Everyone who doesn't does not have an admin account.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
No problems here.

Would be interesting to see the proportion of people having problems vs. no probs.

Poll idea?....

"Java Glitch with 10.3.9:"

1) No Problems
2) Yes "Segmentation Fault"
3) Some Macs owned having probs
4) Don't own a Mac

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
wdlove said:
my wife just downloaded the Java 1.4.2 Update 2 When trying to do the installation,> received an error message:my wife even tried java 1.4.2 update 1, and keep getting a error message > that says i do not have the java package to install any of those java update, where would she get this java package??

but note check the software update logs and i shows those updates have been installed.

what is the problem

Well if it lists those as installed then you are ok on that front (as the kbase article appears to imply).

Did you trying to install the security update listed in the kbase article?

(click here for the kbase article incase you missed it)

I assume you actually have an issue with Java to begin with or do you have some other issue?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
latergator116 said:
I had the problem, but I didn't realize I had it until I checked the terminal. Safari was going a little slow, but I thought that was the regular OS X sluggishness.

Did you just say OSX Sluggishness? What are you running on? OSX is the snappiest bird out there. Even on my 450 Sawtooth, it runs faster than os 8 or 9. If it's sluggish to you, you've done something to it that you shouldn't have.

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
No problems here.
Lombard PowerBook 400 with Daystar XLR8 G4 433 upgrade.
This machine started out with OS9 (or was it 8.6?) and has had every update in the past 5+ years. Never a problem.
It even ran the OSX Public Beta. :)
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it qualifies for 10.4, so 10.3.9 may be the end of the OS road. :(
Unless, of course, they go into "extra innings" and do 10.3.xx updates, but I can't remember Apple ever going past a ".9".
They used to do some modifiers back in the System 7 days, like "rev2" or "system enabler __", but I haven't seen those in some time.
I seem to recall those having to do with the transition to PPC. A very messy series of conditional updates.

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
No problems here

Am running 1st edition PB 17" and no worries.... Mate.....

makes me worry about Tigger... will hold off... well I ahve to anyway. Stuck on the arse end of the earth means that we have to wait ages before anything from Apple actually arrives....

:mad:

NevadaJack

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
wdlove said:

what is the problem

Forget about the Java update. Install the 2005-002 Security Update. That should cure the problem...it did for me. The reason "you cannot install the Java update" is that it is already installed. Hope you are successful.

Mathew Burrack

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2005
avkills said:

I was about to make a similar point. I've never had any trouble with any OS X updates, but then I always shut everything down and just let the updater run. Maybe we should run two polls: one for those who had no trouble with .3.9, to see if they were running anything else in the meantime, and those who had trouble, to see the same thing?

This is related to a problem I had before with a security update on my PB. I had it on battery power by accident and it went to sleep during the middle of the install. Corrupted the kernel. Not good. I submitted a bug on the issue that has since been marked as fixed, but I've just made the habit nowadays of always making sure my Macs won't go to sleep while the update is running.

What I don't understand is why the updater just doesn't force the issue to begin with. Installers do the whole "no other application can be running" thing and ask you to shut everything down first; why can't the updater do the same thing? Once it's done downloading the updates, at least. :)

orlando12

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
mlb.com... still not working

So i reinstalled the security update,

and mlb.com instant auto update still doesn't work...

anyone else use this / know what gives?

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
So that must be why Safari kept crashing on me the other night....hmm......

I would have thought that Apple would have Panther down so well that things like these wouldn't happen on the final update of these things.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
SPUY767 said:
Did you just say OSX Sluggishness? What are you running on? OSX is the snappiest bird out there. Even on my 450 Sawtooth, it runs faster than os 8 or 9. If it's sluggish to you, you've done something to it that you shouldn't have.

Yeah, OS X is sluggish on my 700mhz iBook w/ 640mb memory. I mean, it is not unbearably slow or anything, but it is definately slower than OS 9.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Wyvernspirit said:
Not sure what your beef about running in admin is, but I do about 90% of the time, and I have had no problems of this sort ever with an update, including this one. I would say its the other way around. If you don't know what your doing, you can screw your system while running in admin. I know when to allow something and when not to. Everyone who doesn't does not have an admin account.

It is called common sense. There is no real reason to have your day to day user have admin rights. In fact, I think it is a real mistake that Apple promotes running as admin. But whatever, I have my Mom and my Grandma running as admin, just so I don't have to explain logging out and installing and then logging back in. They don't have problems, but it certainly is not the best idea in the world for Apple to do it that way.

-mark

thatmatt

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2005
JAVA Glitch messed up my t

It is the wierdest thing. I own a iMac G4 and new iBook G4. On both computer's, only when it feels like it in, in a java applet, the lower case t doesn't work. This all started after the update. Hit shift and t and the capital T works. STRANGE!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.