10.5.7 - Apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse both loose bluetooth connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mailerdaemon, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mailerdaemon macrumors member

Ever since I updated from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7, I'm now loosing my Apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse bluetooth connection with my MacBook Pro.

At least once a day, my keyboard and mouse both loose connection. There is no lag going on before it happens, it just happens suddenly.

I can get connection back to both my mouse and keyboard by simply using the trackpad to turn bluetooth off then on again from the menu bar.

Up until last week this was happening on my 17"/2.6GHz/4GB previous gen MacBook Pro. I have now sold that and as I'm sitting here setting up my new 17" uMBP, I just lost keyboard and mouse connection. Grrr. Obviously it's not my machine and obviously it's not my keyboard or mouse as they both loose connection at the same time - it's 10.5.7

I'm using airport wireless 'n' 5GHz only. I also have bluetooth enabled on my iPhone, but always have - and never had issues when running 10.5.6 (or earlier).

I have searched here but haven't found anyone else mention this exact problem. Strange. I would have thought that it would be common now that I've experienced it with two MacBook Pro's running 10.5.7

Can anyone help me with this? Can I go back to 10.5.6 somehow without having to rebuild?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've had this happen occasionally on my 2.66 uMBP (15") with both 10.5.6 and 10.5.7.

FWIW, my MBP is also connected to an Airport (Time Capsule, actually) 5GHz network (802.11n-only mode).

I can't recreate it, and it only happens once or twice a month, so I haven't tried calling AppleCare yet.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

My bluetooth mouse used to lose it's connection on 10.5.6 , but I don't have the problem anymore.

Does the connection ever come back on it's own or do you have to turn bluetooth off and on again?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have to turn it off/on again, but I've never waited more than a minute or two for it to come back on.

5. macdim macrumors 6502

I've been having this exact same problem. I did an Erase and Install of 10.5.7 at that. My Apple bluetooth keyboard loses connection randomly, but regains it if I press a key. Also, when the computer is sleeping, the keyboard seems to disconnect, even though I have "use bluetooth to wake from sleep" selected in the bluetooth preferences.

I have a Logitech bluetooth v470 travel mouse and it hasn't been affected.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Does your Mac say that it lost the connection when the problem happens?

If I take my MBP downstairs (away from the desk where I leave the keyboard/mouse), it'll pop up the little white display notice that shows the connections with the mouse/keyboard were lost. That I expect.

When "the problem" happens, both the Apple BT mouse and keyboard stop responding, but the Mac never pops up that "lost connection" notice. :confused:

7. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

I've never waited more than a few seconds to be honest.

It's annoying that I didn't have a problem for nearly a year on 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 but now have had the problem straight away (at least once a day) with 10.5.7 - on TWO MacBook Pro's.

I've seen someone mention regarding a similar problem that it's a good idea to remove Bluetooth as an network option in Sys Pref>Network. I've just done that, so I'll see how it goes and report back.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Cool, be curious to see how that goes.

I do use my Bluetooth service occasionally when connecting to the Internet thru my Blackberry, so I don't want to remove it entirely. I did move it from the #2 service down to the bottom of the list.

9. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

My keyboard and mouse just stop responding too. No message. I don't see the "lost connection" notice until I turn off bluetooth. I turn it back on after seeing the messages upon which both the keyboard an mouse start responding again immediately.

10. VladM macrumors regular

Same here. Started with 10.5.7

11. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

Well, removing Bluetooth as a network option didn't help. I just lost my keyboard and mouse again.

Does anyone have any idea when the next update is? Are there any Bluetooth changes?

If not, how would one "roll back" to 10.5.6?? Good idea or not?

I wonder if this problem (this EXACT problem of having your wireless keyboard and mouse stop responding with no messages until you turn Bluetooth off then back on) only affects MBP's??

As I said earlier, I know it affects both the previous gen MBP and the uMBP but only when running 10.5.7

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

AFAIK, the only way to "roll back" to 10.5.6 is to do an Archive and Install and then manually apply the 10.5.6 combo update.

I've noticed that my BT almost always goes out when Time Machine is backing up to the Time Capsule. Any similarity on yours? :confused:

13. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

^ No, haven't set up my backups on this uMBP yet.

14. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen you try erasing the profiles for each and setting them both up from scratch. Go to Bluetooth in System Preferences and erase the profiles there, then go through the Setup Blueooth Device process again, and see if that fixes it.

I have a totally different issue where the BT keyboard will sporadically cause the computer to wake up on its own. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.

15. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Same exact thing happened to me! I only got around to updating to 10.5.7 last night on my early '08 white MacBook, and only a few hours after the installation that happened. Just like you, they were fine and cut out suddenly, and the only way for me to get functionality back was to open the lid and use the trackpad to turn on/off bluetooth. Strange. I only just got my wireless keyboard and mouse about two weeks ago, so I just assumed it was just a quirk that might happen from time to time. Oh, and I'm using an Apple wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse, btw.

16. Sleek macrumors newbie

I have this issue as well. After upgrading to 10.5.7, my keyboard lose connection while i am typing or something. I get no warning and pressing the turn on button on the right of the keyboard does not reconnect the keyboard. Only way to fix it is by disconnecting my keyboard from BT settings and connecting it again..

I have had this MBP 17" and keyboard since Apr 2008 with no issues.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is it bad I'm excited to see that 10.5.7 is causing this problem on a larger scale? :eek:

I did a forum search for this issue back in the 10.5.6 days and it didn't seem like anyone had it. Surely Apple will notice it now!!!! :)

18. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

I heard that 10.5.7 had Bluetooth fixes in it.

Bluetooth was fine before 10.5.7 for me!

19. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that I've done this, but I just did it again to make sure.

20. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

21. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Good to know, and sorry for your troubles. It's too bad that we have to worry about updates causing problems again, and waiting to see how people respond to it for at least a week after it's released.

22. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

same here

I've been having the same problem, since the 10.5.7 upgrade - my bluetooth mighty mouse stops working 2-3 times a day. Weird thing is my bluetooth apple keyboard works fine during such mouse dropouts.

I still haven't figured out if any events cause the mouse to stop working, or if it's plain random. The only way to bring the mouse to work again is by turning my MBP's bluetooth off/on. Batteries are fine btw... has anyone figured this one out?

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I've also had this problem. It was when I was using Word 08 only....so far. I use my Macbook in clamshell, to fix the problem I would open the Macbook, use the trackpad and as soon as I click on Bluetooth in System Preferences the mighty mouse would work again.

24. kkim0228 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem as the OP...
    uMBP 15"
    The wireless MM suddenly stops responding without "Connection Lost" message. I use my trackpad to disconnect and reconnect from the bluetooth settings, then it seems to work again for a while, but not for long. Still no solution?

25. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85