10-Year-Old Unlocks Face ID on His Mother's iPhone X as Questionable Mask Spoofing Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Apple tells me it’s more secure, that’s good enough for me /S

2. Zxxv Suspended

Touch ID was never sold as an alternative to passcodes. It was sold as "for people who dont use a passcode" And now we have the progression Face ID. The original intent still stands.

Before you argue with me go back and watch the keynote where Touch ID was unveiled.

3. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

“For he was his mother’s son, so too the face was shared”

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

"Facts" can be easily backed up. You don't just get to say something, and then say "facts" at the end of it. So where's your proof?

5. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

The new "You're holding it wrong"

6. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

It's fake. iPhone X runs whenever it unlocks with passcode. After teaching mother's face, the child can unlock the phone with passcode. After several trials, iPhone X learn the child's face and unlocks it.

7. JamieLannister macrumors regular

JamieLannister

Should be this:

8. aylk macrumors member

aylk

9. NightFox, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Personally, I view FaceID as a measure by which if your average thief steals my iPhone X or someone dishonest finds it, they're not easily able to gain access to it and therefore there's less incentive to steal it in the first place.

The fact that it maybe spoofed by someone going to measures that your average thief isn’t going to bother with, or there maybe an outside chance of it thinking a specific person is me doesn't really concern me.

It's like my house - I'm happy that it's secure enough to deter the average burglar even though, like most houses, anyone with an axe who wanted to get in could do so without too much difficulty.

10. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Anything other than a complex, mixed character password is a convenience.

This is nothing new. But we are a fragile society these days, so let the tears flow I guess.

11. arkhanjel macrumors regular

arkhanjel

I was actually thinking the same thing. If he tried and then they tap in the code while in front of his face the phone takes a snapshot of his face. If that's done enough that would explain it.

12. diegov12 macrumors member

Ah, so you
    Ah, so you mean like samsung and the note 7?

13. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Well there you have it.

14. Zxxv Suspended

Just train your kid to leave ya ****ing phone alone.

15. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Maybe Apple could include a pop up dialog box explaining that you need to train it multiple times.

16. aylk macrumors member

aylk

Source: This kid wouldn't be able to access his mom's phone if it was secured with Touch ID.

17. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

The lock on my front door to my home where my family, most of my actual valuables, my children and most anything else i own is stored is way less secure than FaceID on my phone where I store some photos of food I ate on some Saturday night back in 2012 and a plethora of apps that have been carried over since my iPhone 3G.

18. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors member

H.E. Pennypacker

Who on earth actually has people pick up their phone to unlock it and look at it? The only person I care not to see my phone is my wife and fortunately she doesn’t look like me. Outside of that If you have that kind of sensitive info on your phone where it would be horrible if someone looked at it for 2 min do yourself a favor and never go out of your house again.

19. Zxxv Suspended

Source : This kid wouldn't be able to access his mom's phone if he were taught some manners about leaving others peoples stuff alone.

20. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

and you think kids don't pay attention to the exact same passcode presses their parents enter in front of them when TouchID doesn't work properly. Go with that. Then you end up with a $150 iTunes payment.

21. WalterTizzano macrumors regular

WalterTizzano

FaceID is an awesome concept, but at the moment this is all it is: a concept. I am sure that 2nd or 3rd generation will do wonders, but sadly this is simply not true for the current generation which is little more than a beta.

22. luddx macrumors member

people go nuts over apple products even when they don,t work properly

this is insane, i'm so happy I left the apple boat after 30 yrs of non-stop mac use

23. Falhófnir macrumors 6502a

Falhófnir

This is the trouble if it relies overwhelmingly on the shape of facial features, family members who aren’t even twins can have similar shaped noses, lips, eyes etc and considering face ID has to have a certain amount of leeway as your face isn’t an unchanging marble statue it’s probably quite a fuzzy line between ‘yes’ and ‘no’ in practise...

24. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

More simply, the kid probably knows the passcode and has been unknowingly training it on his face when he goes to play angry birds.

25. diegov12 macrumors member

Didn't recomend not to use face ID if you have a kid?